It Takes A Heart - remix

Lynn Wilson

Hello to all my CW friends!  I've been involved with a lot of personal and family projects lately, so I haven't been as active as I would like.  Here's a song that I've been struggling with for a while, and now it's ready for your thoughts and suggestions.  Slam it hard, I've got a thick skin, or love it.  Either way, it's time for all you co-producers to step up.  As always, thanks in advance for your time!

This time it's just me and Rapture Pro doing the synth work.  It can be found here:  https://soundclick.com/r/s8ith6

11/13/21 version 2 just went up.  Taking Jack and Steve's suggestion, I tidied it up a bit.  The guitar riffs in the verses were just a hair off, so I quantized them to sixteenth notes in Melodyne.  I also added some tape recorder emulation to one of the organs for a little fattening.  Subtle, but important changes, I think.

11/15/21- I turned down the organ on the verses and instrumental parts, but left it alone on the choruses.  I also added half a db to the lead vocal.  

Edited by Lynn Wilson
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jack c. said:

it needs some quantizing (especially the intro) bass,snare,kick.a tad more bottom on your wonderful voice and on bass guitar.nice job.jack c.

So noted!  I went out of my way to avoid quantizing this piece (except the drum beats are from presets) in order to give it a more organic touch.  Something to consider.

2 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I liked the song and mix - especially your vocal - sounded really good. There's quite a bit going on in the mix, and I could hear everything clearly - nice separation of all the instruments. Nice job Lynn - it's a good song.

Thanks, Douglas!  I had a lot of fun doing this song, and I appreciate your kind words.

I really like the way you approached this arrangement. Lots of cool steely dan-esque flourishes and really nice backgound vocal parts here. You vocals are just great. I listened to the mix on my phone and it sounded great but there are moments where the guitar interferes with the singing in places but on a better device that might not be the case. 

Really enjoyed this, Lynn!

I love your vocal mate, lyrics are unmistakably yours. Think it needs a bit of tidying up here an there like Jack has pointed out,  and it's a little thin in places ( hammond ) ... so in my sketchbook it's not quite there yet, but I know you (well sort of) and my bet is you'll do a remix in time.

Take care

Steve

• Great Idea 1

On 11/11/2021 at 5:17 PM, mark skinner said:

Lynn , the rapture pro stuff was really nice . The vocals were Superb. I Really liked the power you projected and the way you attacked the phrases with conviction. I believe you could be a serious blues singer. I really enjoyed it ..     mark

Thank you, Mark!  I would love to do more blues type stuff in the future.

On 11/11/2021 at 7:19 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

I really like the way you approached this arrangement. Lots of cool steely dan-esque flourishes and really nice backgound vocal parts here. You vocals are just great. I listened to the mix on my phone and it sounded great but there are moments where the guitar interferes with the singing in places but on a better device that might not be the case. 

Really enjoyed this, Lynn!

I'm very happy to hear from you, Kevin!  I put a remix up that may or may not address the issue, but this is helpful information.

On 11/11/2021 at 11:27 PM, noynekker said:

Very inventive arrangement Lynn, lots of fun stuff flying by in the mix . . . great lead vocals, and background vocals ! It presents as R&B, but you've added some unique twists to make it a little different than the standard. 

Thank you for your kind words!  It was a challenging, but interesting project.  I'm glad you like it!

On 11/12/2021 at 5:11 AM, SupaReels said:

I love your vocal mate, lyrics are unmistakably yours. Think it needs a bit of tidying up here an there like Jack has pointed out,  and it's a little thin in places ( hammond ) ... so in my sketchbook it's not quite there yet, but I know you (well sort of) and my bet is you'll do a remix in time.

Take care

Steve

Steve, I took you suggestion and remixed this.  I hope it helps with your suggestions.  Many thanks!

On 11/12/2021 at 10:22 AM, KurtS said:

Cool song, good work!

Thank you Kurt!  Music to my ears!

On 11/12/2021 at 10:53 PM, David Sprouse said:

loved the organ and background vocals.    The hard panning is effective.  Not sure what jack meant about quantizing, sounded great to me.  

Thank you, David, for your time and response!  I went back and tightened up the guitar riffs in the verse progression.  It was only a few notes, but they were a bit off.

• Like 1

Trippy! I think it's very strong, with a greeat lead vocal, and did you pitch yourself up to get the bgv's? They totally work!

I think the only mix thoughts I would have would be a comparison. In the second 3/4 of the song, compare your lead vocal volume to the organ. The organ serves, the lead vocal shines. Perfect! But go back to the very first intro at the beginning, I think the organ is stepping all over your lead vocal, even though the organ is panned hard right. Too much competition?

In the beginning, maybe the hi hat could use a skosh more reverb to sink into the mix.

This is all so very super original. Loved it.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 11/12/2021 at 11:11 AM, SupaReels said:

I love your vocal mate, lyrics are unmistakably yours. Think it needs a bit of tidying up here an there like Jack has pointed out,  and it's a little thin in places ( Hammond ) ... so in my sketchbook it's not quite there yet, but I know you (well sort of) and my bet is you'll do a remix in time.

Take care

Steve

Steve, I took you suggestion and remixed this.  I hope it helps with your suggestions.  Many thanks!

This whole song has thickened up and it sounds really professional. It sounded like there was a little more compression and you pulled up the lower end, which I feel gives the song what it needs .. guts! Great work mate ( and I wouldn't say that if I never meant it ).

ATB

Steve