BST100 Super Overdrive Amplifier

cclarry

This looks interesting (as what all amp sims do to me :()....anyone use this or tried this?

Their cabs are done by choptones which are generally very good....don't know much about this amp sim though. 

• Like 1

I was going to ask some of you guitar guys if you tried this out.  The Nembrini Audio dev did the Plugin Alliance amps, and the Lo-Fi Vintage Clipper he gave away awhile ago is great.  This one looks really interesting to me.  I may have to demo it.  ;)

• Like 3

I downloaded the demo but couldn't get the iLok Cloud to let me use it.  Will try again tonight. I emailed the Dev - again, but he seems pretty invested in the iLok authorization, which, unfortunately, isn't winning points with me at all.  Frustrating to the point of, there are plenty of decent amp sims out there without having to deal with this s--t.    It really too bad, because this looks really interesting to me.

2 hours ago, Mesh said:

Anyone get this or test it yet?

I started to test it. But probably after dew days I will be sure if it really add anything to my already owned amps.

Few things are annoying.  Like mic positions. What is mic position 4 or what is 8 ?? Probably it is in manual but why not use picture like other amps manufactures?

I refuse using manual for amp sims ;)  There are zylion of them so some minimal requirements about workflow  should be followed :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Few words after.... But my English is broken so it maybe quite painful, my apology for that.

If you don't like or use ilok just skip it. Plugin requires it.

While it doesn't need dongle I discovered plugin support for cloud ilok is probably little faulty. When I moved to another city and wanted to play with it using different guitar and I/O I couldn't. My cloud session was blocked 😕 Despite off machine when I played previously were off any power 😞

I met also some problems at initial start as after first try fail plugin was excluded by DAW, and had hard times with discovering it again to authorize (needed moved plugin to different folder, scan, then move back, scan - it helped for Sonar but not for S1 which now for some reason can discover it only when it is placed in main plugin folder).

About sound. Of course it is matter taste but I find it in distorted sounds has little too many venom and hate - typical thing for many amps simulation not quite as much for true thing. But I liked many clean and little bit crunched or distorted. No too much to go into hate area (mostly playing not mixing).

But well, I never had opportunity to use real Soldano. However demo  sounds published by manufacturer are free of that venom and hate. So I guess it was done some production on them. While I am not so skilled as guitar player for sure I am also not so skilled to be able produce such harsh midrange or presence.

I think manufactures should provide full and honest video how demo was created including any post processing. And in fact it could help them a lot in sale as

Anyway the sound of the plugin gives different flavor than my other amps sims and is quite easily cutting off the mix (maybe partially because of that venom&hate :)

About usage IMHO it is not quite finished product as workflow is not as good because of wrong choices for controls.

For instance typically in amps sim changing cabinet you can do just by 1 click (next and that's it). In bst you need drag knob turn it. Maybe it seems to be more 'realistic' (?) to developers but is completely not convenient.   They probably tested it changing several  times at a session but real user can do it tens times more searching for sound.

This is strange because it is obvious even for not experienced devels, knobs are most convenient for continues values, never for just a few to pick. And it is easy to do some measurement of workflow. Just to count clicks, moves, drags etc and select option which is letting user to be able to do it in the fastest and easiest way.

Trying to use knobs just because they seem to be more 'realistic' for amp (but still simulation:), well... It is overkill...

Another annoying thing is those already mentioned mic positions. What in hell means 4 or 5? And guess what I read this time manual. No word about it. Maybe they will improve at least manual??

Another thing is lack o logic about input placement. Gate& input level control is in cabinet section. Well hard to understand idea behind it. Because input section is the same for all cabinets? Well, also for all skins (if ever implemented) etc :) Why not separate section?

I like 'fast presets' for mics idea. This is helpful and nice.

Support for impulses also needs improvement. Only 1 at any time, annoying starting point for desktop (really anybody keeps there impulses??). And it is not remembering already selected folder when moving back to factory impulses and then back to user's...

Dialog 'window' for presets is one of ugliest I have ever seen. Please don't force me to comment it :)

So after all above you are sure I skipped it, right?

Well.... Unfortunately probably GAS syndrome was too strong. I did kind of credit buy with wish they will improve logic and workflow in the plugin.

Anyway it gives me something new, interesting, I am using ilok anyway, price was tempting. So failed to resist. Unfortunately.

Edited by Piotr
  • Thanks 4

Enough people complained about their free plugin that I didn't find this offer enticing. OTOH, some people said that this developer has done cool things in the past, so hopefully they'll get their act together soon  

Thanks Piotr for all the details. ...very helpful.

Using amp sims, I like them to sound good and be somewhat inspirational without too much hassle in usage (just plug, play, and tweak). No shortage of amp sims, so will wait on this for more improvement.

Can't really see people paying the full price (or even half) on this...