I Will Go - update 2

Kevin Walsh

5 hours ago, KurtS said:

This sounds very Peter Gabriel, very cool. The guitar tones sound really good. I have some very nice homebuilt amps but I've been too lazy to try and record them, the plugins are so easy to use.

Thanks, Kurt, high praise indeed, I'll certainly take it. :)!

Peter Gabriel tunes are all over  the place in my reference track folder. 

This is the box that I was referring to. I can disconnect my amp's speaker and it acts as a load box and I can route the XLR out to my Audient ID22's XLR in. It just sounds so good that way.  I've had this box for years and years and I've always used it just as an attenuator but I thought I'd finally give the studio capabilities a try. 

OIP.Oav5SQTdcugiWOeHlMp_gAHaCl?pid=ImgDe

This particular track has much of the lead recorded this way, but there are other tracks that use plug ins: Helix Native, S-Gear and a Guitar Rig track or two. Each of these guys has a particular vibe to it that nothing else covers as well.  Incidentally, for this track I didn't use any amp sim delays, I used Wave's H-Delay plug in. I love it's ability to smear stuff everywhere.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 10:33 AM, Bapu said:

The song is really good, the mix is really good, but to my ears the drum patterns (especially the kick) are too over the top. Kind of distracting to me. If I were producing I would strive for less is more on the drums.

Thanks, bapu! I frankly expected more comments like yours about the drum track. :)I went back and forth on this and I found that, to my ear anyway, it lost something when I put a more subdued drum track in there and so I swallowed my misgivings and kept it the way it is now. Thank you for your comments and your ideas.

23 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Hi Kevin i really liked the song as it kept me trying to look around the corner for the next surprise , as i´m no great shakes as far as production goes i can really only comment on the song which as I,ve said is super good .

Thank you for listening and sharing your thoughts, Paul. It means a lot to me and I'm sure other songwriters when people take the time to listen and comments on the songs we do.

It's all in fun but I know that we all put a great deal of effort and passion into the songs we post here, so even a simple one line acknowledgement that you listened to and liked a song is a big deal to me. Thank you!

• Like 1

Well here's more .02 kroners on your excellently constructed, sung, and vibed song that is super catchy . . . I listened on headphones and was always noticing that open hi hat that splashes up on the "3 and" , you might bring him down a bit.

And in my headphones the bass disappears, who I think would or could be a main driver in this groove.

Overall, though, very well conceived. Kind of an Emo Burt Bacharach! I dig.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Well here's more .02 kroners on your excellently constructed, sung, and vibed song that is super catchy . . . I listened on headphones and was always noticing that open hi hat that splashes up on the "3 and" , you might bring him down a bit.

And in my headphones the bass disappears, who I think would or could be a main driver in this groove.

Overall, though, very well conceived. Kind of an Emo Burt Bacharach! I dig.

Ha. Emo Burt Bacharach! That's great. And me without a single 7th chord in the whole song! Thanks for listening and for the great feedback. I appreciate it!

3 hours ago, antler said:

This song's cool Kevin - love the groove! You've got some great playing too. The relatively sparse arrangement really lets the guitar tone shine through. The only thing I would say is that the ending seems a little abrupt.

Thank you for listening and for taking the time to comment. I guess I let things get a little too sparse at the end. :)

On 11/12/2021 at 12:46 AM, Kevin Walsh said:

Steve, thanks for your time, I appreciate having your feedback! The repetitive drums are a concious choice but I have been wondering if a more varied drum track would add to the song or not. Im interested in hearing how your idea would sound. Thank you again!

Didn't say but just to add, it has a Paul Young vibe . Love this song, however I still feel the drums are a bit repetitive .. but hey ho ... love the end too BTW 😎

Take care

Steve

• Kevin Walsh changed the title to I Will Go - update 2

Thanks steve, your feedback is always welcome. Paul Young? Really? I have to tell my wife, she loves that guy. She'll be rolling on the floor laughing I'll bet, not because you're wrong but because of my silly old guy presumption. :)

Anyway, I didn't change the drums but I did post a new mix. 

Has anyone told you this is a song Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music could easily cover.  Excellent work!  I see someone alluded to Peter Gabriel, but I think Bryan Ferry would be better suited for this.  Alas, it is Kevin Walsh, and as such, those others would probably butcher it.

It was worth the wait.  What else are you hiding in the vault of deep cuts?