I Will Go - update 2

Kevin Walsh

Update 2: I've addressed some of the issues raised by folks throughout the thread. I think it's improved in a lot of ways, but I also think that some of the energy has been taken out of the second verse. Or am I imagining things? One last trip through the tune if you can stand it, friends! To make it easier on you I've added a few more guitar flourishes here and there that I like, and one I had recorded but forgot that I had muted. Doh!

Greetings, fellow slaves of the muse, I've finally kind of finished a song that I started some three years ago. It was incredibly difficult for me to get this one out. Still, please feel free to criticize as you see fit.

One difference in my approach to guitars in this one is the use of a Rock Crusher attenuator line out to capture the flavor of my home-brew Deluxe Reverb clone. I think there's a qualitative difference between sims and this approach. In any case, please let me know what you think about any aspect of this song, and thanks in advance for your comments.

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 2

Kevin , Fantastic vibe !  I Loved the vocals and harmony and the guitars had So much texture . I totally agree with Gary on the drums , I think the vocals could take a little of the same treatment , and they seem to be phasing a little during the thick harmony parts. When you First started singing I could see Bowie doing it , then it went to a lot of great different directions.   You have a real gem here.      Superb ..   mark

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

Kevin , Fantastic vibe !  I Loved the vocals and harmony and the guitars had So much texture . I totally agree with Gary on the drums , I think the vocals could take a little of the same treatment , and they seem to be phasing a little during the thick harmony parts. When you First started singing I could see Bowie doing it , then it went to a lot of great different directions.   You have a real gem here.      Superb ..   mark

Thank you mark, it's  nice to hear your feedback! I first did the vocals an octave lower but alas, I do not have the vocal chops to pull it off. So I did another take over the top of the original vocals. You can still hear the original take. Thanks for pointing out the phasing, I missed that.

I found a bunch of phase issues in the vocal tracks, a bunch of takes that were still hanging around messing things up. I fixed all that and popped the drums a bit but it change a lot of the vibe of the original, I think. Let me know if you guys thing it's improved or made worse. 

Kevin , I thought the last mix was Way better. EQ wise , the drums and vocals seem more balanced against the guitars. I'm not listening on a good enough system to tell if it needs any further tweaking.  The phasing seems to be resolved Except for the Very start of the vocals on the  "I will" phrase. 2x.   Maybe a single "boosted" vocal on that part , putting it a little forward  and more in your face.  One guitar part is also fizzling out at 3:43 . It's the 10 second phrase leading into the next hotter section. It's pulling the energy down in that section ..  I got a big smile when you sang that first high note. This gem is polishing up Very nice.    Loved it ..   mark

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Hi Kevin....enjoyed the whole song very much....especially your lead guitar sound....it's exactly what I aim for, clean, precise, serves the song....the piece moves along very nice with a comfortable vibe that really kept me listening 🎼🎻🎺🎧

Thanks so much for listening, Larry, and I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Steve, thanks for your time, I appreciate having your feedback! The repetitive drums are a concious choice but I have been wondering if a more varied drum track would add to the song or not. Im interested in hearing how your idea would sound. Thank you again!

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 1

Kevin . . . some pretty great guitar melodic work here, like the long echo effect with slight distortion, so smooooth ! Great vocals / Lyrics, maybe more mids + volume for my ears ? Since you invited some critiques ("Still, please feel free to criticize as you see fit.") . . . my main thing is the high end of the snare, long decay, endless and relentless, choice could have been better there ? Everything else, the feel, the vibe is so much there . . . had a few listens and really enjoyed this one overall, great artistry !

• Kevin Walsh changed the title to I Will Go - update 2