Anyone get the "Payboo" email from B&H?

I'm sorry, but I'm going with the "hacked" theory. 🙄

I have done business over many years with B&H, and this just doesn't sound like them, or something that they would attempt to do. They are a legit, up and up, outstanding company!

I didn't get this email so I checked my account with BH and didn't see any mention of Payboo. Nothing on their website either. It's probably a hack since the message just doesn't sound like something from BH and anyway what the heck kind of name is Payboo?

12 hours ago, abacab said:

I'm sorry, but I'm going with the "hacked" theory. 🙄

I have done business over many years with B&H, and this just doesn't sound like them, or something that they would attempt to do. They are a legit, up and up, outstanding company! 

You might want to google this phrase:  "B&H lawsuits"    

Among other lawsuits, they were sued by the US Dept. of Labor and had to pay 3.2 million for allegations of discrimination, bias, and harassment.

3 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

You might want to google this phrase:  "B&H lawsuits"    

Among other lawsuits, they were sued by the US Dept. of Labor and had to pay 3.2 million for allegations of discrimination, bias, and harassment.

Right. Maybe you should actually read that lawsuit info for yourself, Mr Google Expert.

"Update on 8/17/17: Here’s a statement provided to PetaPixel by B&H, which emphasizes that this was a “consent decree” settlement that did not result from any finding or admission of guilt"

While we are pleased to conclude the case, B&H rejects the OFCCP’s allegations —

we settled this matter to let us focus on our day-to-day work of providing excellent service to our customers, to avoid costly and time- consuming litigation, and to grow our Federal government business (the OFCCP oversees employers that do business with the government).

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/16/bh-pay-3-22m-settle-lawsuit-filed-dept-labor/

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Right. Maybe you should actually read that lawsuit info for yourself, Mr Google Expert.

"Update on 8/17/17: Here’s a statement provided to PetaPixel by B&H, which emphasizes that this was a “consent decree” settlement that did not result from any finding or admission of guilt"

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/16/bh-pay-3-22m-settle-lawsuit-filed-dept-labor/

You do realize that a settlement without  findings or admission of guilt is the standard way for any business that has broken the law to get out of jeopardy when dealing with US federal or state agencies. It is the rare exception when a company actually admits guilt or responsibility as part of a settlement, since that admission can be introduced in civil cases against the company by aggrieved individuals, or even support criminal charges against the responsible company officers. In general companies faced with admission of wrongdoing will  choose to go to trial instead.  Trials are expensive for the government, and give no certainty of result. Banks and other companies that have agreed to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in penalties to avoid fraud trials have generally been given settlements without admission of guilt, even in cases where many well informed experts agree that actual responsibility is certain.  A consent decree is basically a promise to stop doing the crime or not do it again, and may involve a requirement for further court or agency supervision, so it does not always even cost the defendant any penalty. I do not know the facts in this particular case--which is pretty much the purpose of this type of  settlement.  In this case, at least from the report cited, at least some of the monetary settlement of 3.2 million dollars will go to some of the aggrieved employees. That is not always the case. Often enough the money goes to the government and the injured individuals are on their own. 

I must have touched a nerve with abacab.    I was just trying to point out that they are not an 'up and up outstanding company' in all regards. 

Yes, their business acumen is remarkable, but there is a long history of human resource type problems within B&H.   And as slartabartfast indicates, settling a lawsuit without admitting guilt is a standard legal tactic to maintain a facade of innocence.   And that particular lawsuit against B&H was just one of many. 

59 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

I must have touched a nerve with abacab.    I was just trying to point out that they are not an 'up and up outstanding company' in all regards. 

Yes, their business acumen is remarkable, but there is a long history of human resource type problems within B&H.   And as slartabartfast indicates, settling a lawsuit without admitting guilt is a standard legal tactic to maintain a facade of innocence.   And that particular lawsuit against B&H was just one of many. 

Ok.

1 minute ago, Mesh said:

My dad used to smoke those (2 packs a day)....he did get lung cancer before passing away. RIP

Sorry to hear that Mesh.

Thankfully I managed to kick the habit years ago. Was never a fan of B&H though, Marlboro was my poison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1