belated Halloween song, The Scoundrel Groom of the Lovely Faith Summers, true local story !

treesha

Was trying to get this done for Halloween, but life had other plans for me.  

This is a song about a young bride, Faith Summers, who was abandoned by her older husband after their wedding night. He went out for cigarettes and never returned. This is the only known photograph of her. 

(spoiler) She waited 3 days at the historic Hassayampa Inn, Prescott Arizona, in the Grand Balcony honeymoon suite, Room 426, and then in utter despair, hung herself from the hotel’s bell tower.

According to the legend, Faith’s spirit is often experienced by guests and staff since her suicide in 1927. Some local musicians would perform in the hotel on Sundays, and we experienced many unusual activities as a group, and I had an experience when I was alone in the rest room. 

I felt inspired to write a song about the story and perform it there, which only happened a few times because Sunday music soon ended. I felt inspired to tell the story from the perspective of a spirit tired of the attention on her, the poor distraught young bride, but instead focused on the man who abandoned her, broke her heart and destroyed her dreams for a happy future. “Remember him, the Scoundrel Groom who vanished on their honeymoon.”

• Like 3

Hi Kevin, thank you for listening and your comment. I never have been into songs about stories and never thought I would make one but the occurances we had at the hotel convinced me her story needing telling in a different way, so here it is! Glad to know you felt the tragedy and that I got across the story in a lovely way, thanks again 

Thanks Bjorn, guess its fitting that its "haunting " ha, The thing is around here the focus is on the woman who killed herself at the hotel, and very little about the man that broke her heart, so its a different perspective and a different view of the event that includes a more complete picture. I guess with most "hauntings" the focus is on the ghost/spirit and maybe not so much on what the story is behind the unrested spirit. Honestly, I never had any poltergeist experiences till our sunday music performances at this hotel, cant say where I stand on these issues, but do know we saw some stuff as do others there that cant be explained. Thanks for listening and glad you found it beautiful ! appreciate it 

I like the atmosphere of this song, and how the instrumentation captures it - very fitting for Halloween, and of the story. I think the ride cymbal (?) that hits mostly on the 1 and 3 beats might be a little strong in the mix, but it could be my listening environment. Well done!

• Like 1

Great year round song Treesha.  Very nice vocals , especially the backing. I thought the cellos sounded Fantastic. 

I once captured voices of someone responding to the lyrics of the song "Moondance"  Three of us were sitting in a circle facing each other practicing for an acoustic gig. I boosted the voices and played it back next practice.  Every time we practiced that song everyone Stared at each other. Never happened again ..     mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark, thanks for listening and your feedback and your story, interesting! I really enjoy messing with backing vocals and kinda had set a personal goal to finish by Halloween but you’re right its kind of a local legend thing too. The cello was old from the first recording I made of this it may have even been a soundfont ! I still liked it so used it in this version. 

Hi treesha....very, very well written, played, mixed composition....enjoyed very much....i was in Prescott a few years ago to do some installations at the Costco and was so impressed with the town....so much beauty there (as well as so much construction....which is inevitable in such an inviting setting) 🎶🎹🎤🎻

Thanks so much Larry T ! I appreciate the listen and your positive feedback. I hope you got to enjoy a lot of the beautiful area here and nearby (sedona, flagstaff) and fun stuff to do while you were here and that no ghosts messed with your installation work 

• Like 1