No audio unless whole project in solo

Michael Reynolds

Midway through working on a project I stopped being able to hear any audio unless the track/s were solod. Basically if I want to hear the entire mix I need to toggle global solo or solo the master bus. There is no audio being detected by any track unless it's solod. I have tried restarting but to no avail. It must be something simple but I can't work it out. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am on the latest version ( 015.) A buddy tried to play a song I did on this newest version and just ran into this problem. He had to update to 015 to get it to play without soloing. His version was a couple of months old and I asked him to try and remember. All he remembers is is was a a June version.

This implies the newest version is creating files the older versions can't read correct. He had the exact same issue as the OP.

There are major changes to the solo logic in 2021.11 so its not surprising that older versions may have issues with solo.
The solution is not to use new projects with soloed tracks with older versions. There are bugs in the old versions that didn't handle solo properly.

@Michael Reynolds which version of Cakewalk are you seeing this problem in?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

There are major changes to the solo logic in 2021.11 so its not surprising that older versions may have issues with solo.
The solution is not to use new projects with soloed tracks with older versions. There are bugs in the old versions that didn't handle solo properly.

@Michael Reynolds which version of Cakewalk are you seeing this problem in?

Maybe it's the wording but the issue isn't solo'd projects it's that you can't play them without soloing the tracks.

Still, I'll take the improvements of 11(015).

Terry

Hi Noel,

Yes, I sent him a bundle, he opened it and it wouldn't show any meter activity on any track that wasn't solo'd. At first we thought it might be some hidden track (as suggested here) or something with the master buss. He toggled the global solo button several times. He also rebooted a couple of times. After messing for around 30 minutes I told him to update since I knew he was behind a bit on updates.  Bang, it worked. He was on the 2011.06 version.

I'll pull up the trouble version.

Edited by Terry Kelley

@Terry Kelley your issue appears to be caused due to an internal sidechain bus being left in a soloed state. I cannot reproduce anything that could cause that problem the latest release. Is it possible that you started that project in an early access release that had that issue?
In any case it can be fixed by simply turning on exclusive solo and toggling solo on the master bus and resaving your project.

If you or @Michael Reynolds have any way of reproducing this in a project from a fresh project created in the 2020.11 release let me know ASAP.

Thanks Noel,

Looking at the dates for the versions, the first project version was on 11/05/21 and I added the side-chain on 11/08/21. I follow the EA's closely and I show I got EA 27.11.0. .034 on 11/1/21. I was definitely on an EA when I started. I am guessing .034 since I usually install the latest EA when it comes out.

Any way you can tell me where this solo in the side-chain is? I'm looking at the project and I have the bass side-chained to the bass drum but nothing shows any soloing. Maybe that's what you mean by "internal" - I can't access it.

I'm not sure I know enough to recreate it at this point. Since it works in 2021.11.018 I'm not sure what to try. But hey, I'll try anything once. I might just need to chalk it up to a fluctuation in the aether.

Terry

I found the way to recreate the problem.
It was the Bass track being soloed that leads to the issue. It internally soloes the sidechain bus for the sonitus compressor.
Older versions don't handle this properly and think that some other track is soloed when its not, which is why they play silent even after unsoloing the bass track.

There was an additional corner case I wasn't handling which is why even saving after unsoloing didn't fix it. I've solved that issue for the next release.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I just had this exact same issue with a track I'm currently working on.

Everything was working as it normally does and then all the tracks became silent and will only play when the solo button is activated.

I am using the latest version  2022.11 and not utilising tracks created in older versions of the software - everything has been freshly recorded.

Is anyone else still experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

PS I've just checked several projects that I've created previously and they all appear to be working fine.

Edited by southcoaststeve
PS

On 1/20/2023 at 9:16 AM, southcoaststeve said:

Hi everyone,

I just had this exact same issue with a track I'm currently working on.

Everything was working as it normally does and then all the tracks became silent and will only play when the solo button is activated.

I am using the latest version  2022.11 and not utilising tracks created in older versions of the software - everything has been freshly recorded.

Is anyone else still experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

PS I've just checked several projects that I've created previously and they all appear to be working fine.

If your send a link to your project I can take as look at it.