So after "the last bass I'll ever need".... [UPDATE]

Bapu

2 hours ago, Zo said:

man and so ? how does it sound ? do you have the version with the pick up close or far ?

492045.jpg                       484469.jpg

I have the version with the pickups spread far. It sounds like you'd expect it to: very woody, for me kind of McCartney "sounding" without the brilliant playing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

I have the version with the pickups spread far. It sounds like you'd expect it to: very woody, for me kind of McCartney "sounding" without the brilliant playing.

Can i go motown with it or P bass is the only way ? i want a short scale and this video made me mmmmmm !!!

https://video1.thomann.de//vidiot/02591c1c/video_i9607p10_yd59vqpa.mp4

On 11/13/2021 at 11:29 AM, Zo said:

Can i go motown with it or P bass is the only way ?

@Zo As paulo says, they (basses) all sound alike. 🙂 

Seriously though...

A P-Bass with round wounds would not get close enough to that James Jamerson/Bob Babbit Motown sound because IIRC they used flatwound strings.

This is why I have two P-Basses. One with roundwounds and add on 'hot' pickup, and one with flat wounds and standard pickup.

Since that vid exampled a Hofner with flatwounds 'that' sound shines through. And of course it all depends on playing style too. Whether it was FX'd (compression etc) or playing style I would say the sound of a Hofner in McCartney's hands has more of a choked note feel (very little decay). It's part of his charm on bass IMO.

The  Motown sound of the bass would also have to do with recording chain too. But that's another issue altogether.

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

@Zo As paulo says, they (basses) all sound alike. 🙂 

Seriously though...

A P-Bass with round wounds would not get close enough to that James Jamerson/Bob Babbit Motown sound because IIRC they used flatwound strings.

This is why I have two P-Basses. One with roundwounds and add on 'hot' pickup, and one with flat wounds and standard pickup.

Since that vid exampled a Hofner with flatwounds 'that' sound shines through. And of course it all depends on playing style too. Whether it was FX'd (compression etc) or playing style I would say the sound of a Hofner in McCartney's hands has more of a choked note feel (very little decay). It's part of his charm on bass IMO.

The  Motown sound of the bass would also have to do with recording chain too. But that's another issue altogether.

Thks Bapu , i love basses with few sustains , i tend to like muted tight notes ... as for the motown , yep the wounds played a role as well as the custom Di (ACME did a recreation of it if i recall well).... is the hofner comeing with flat wounds ?

https://floatingpoint.audio/fr/boite-de-direct/acme-audio-motown-di-wb3

Edited by Zo

13 hours ago, Bapu said:

As paulo says, they (basses) all sound alike.

Intro:    bom        bom         bom        bom 

Verse: bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom

Chorus: bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  

Middle 8: bom        bom        bom         bom bom     bom        bom        bom bom bom bom bom bom bom

Outro: bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom BOM.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

Intro:    bom        bom         bom        bom 

Verse: bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom    bom

Chorus: bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  

Middle 8: bom        bom        bom         bom bom     bom        bom        bom bom bom bom bom bom bom

Outro: bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom BOM.

I think the middle 8 needs to be quantized.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1