BandLab acquires artist development platform ReverbNation

Sander Verstraten

Here's the next merger: https://musictech.com/news/bandlab-acquires-artist-development-platform-reverbnation/

ReverbNation artists can expect the platform’s features to be integrated into BandLab soon.

BandLab has acquired artist services platform ReverbNation from its parent company, eMinor Inc.  The deal is effective immediately.

According to a press release, the acquisition will help BandLab accelerate its artist services. This includes building on new features such as artist-to-fan subscriptions and BandLab Distribution.

ReverbNation users won’t experience any disruption as a result of the deal. BandLab will integrate ReverbNation’s features into its music-making application to expand creator capabilities in the near future.

eMinor will continue to focus on its other software brands, including its youth soccer club platform PlayMetrics.

CEO of BandLab Technologies, Meng Kuok, said, “We are very excited to welcome ReverbNation’s community to BandLab. We have a clear vision of the role BandLab plays in supporting creators worldwide, today, and into the future. Artist services are a key part of that plan, as evidenced by our recently announced subscriptions and distribution offerings.

“This acquisition allows us to accelerate BandLab’s product roadmap and further enable us to break down technical, geographic, and creative barriers facing musicians and fans.”

Meanwhile, eMinor Inc’s CEO Mike Doernberg says, “when BandLab approached us with [its] thesis for integrating ReverbNation and BandLab, it made complete sense, especially for our artists. BandLab is a natural fit. ReverbNation has long been the standard for artist promotion and growth tools. Since its evolution from a startup in 2006 to a mature, profitable business today, it has continually innovated.”

BandLab hasn’t announced any further details on the deal.

In September, BandLab introduced the BandLab Subscriptions and BandLab Distribution features into its social music platform. The former feature enables users to offer exclusive artist content to fans for a monthly fee, while the latter lets independent artists self-distribute their music onto every major music platform at an affordable rate.

• Like 2

I think this is very good and exciting news for everyone cheering for BandLab to succeed -- which certainly includes me -- and it makes clear that BandLab is a healthy company with an aggressive vision and  the resources to continue growing. For those who haven't figured out BandLab's strategy  and why they give away software that used to cost us hundreds of dollars, they spelled it out in that press release. Think of them as building a platform for musicians/artists, with the objective of driving as many artists as possible for their platforms -- and consequently, as a result of the artists utilizing their platforms --that music consumers / fans are driven to their platforms, and therein lies their plan for revenue -- from music fans and musicians promoting their music. They've combined music production tools with a distribution platform and social media. I think these guys are pretty smart and I'd love to see them succeed. It's the evolution of what was once the record industry and having seen how that industry works, I like the way this one works much better. Yes, promotion still makes a difference, so it's truly never a democracy, but it's much closer than the record label industry driven model that was bad news for most artists. 

• Like 6

It's only taken 4 years for us to be able to connect the dots between freeware Cakewalk and actual revenue. Up to this point, BandLab seemed determined not to make any money from any of the platform's features (which include our fave DAW).

I was a big BandLab rah-rah from day one, this is good to see.  Do well by doing good.

Edited by Starship Krupa

36 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Now if I was only a young lad instead of an older Fart to take advantage of all this good stuff 😆

Actually, from your description, you and I are in the same boat. But we can take advantage of this good stuff. Cakewalk is a really good DAW that's regularly updated. So yeah, I think you really meant you wanted to be a rockstar, so maybe there's not much potential for us in that regard, but for great tools for us to enjoy music-making, it's pretty nice, IMO. 

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It's only taken 4 years for us to be able to connect the dots between freeware Cakewalk and actual revenue. Up to this point, BandLab seemed determined not to make any money from any of the platform's features (which include our fave DAW).

I was a big BandLab rah-rah from day one, this is good to see.  Do well by doing good.

I did a long time ago by looking at what they were doing with Bandlab on the social media side. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1