Breathe In

Douglas Kirby

Hey Douglas . . . very cool song, and it sounds like you've done something different here, different than your usual, changed up the songwriting . . . your vocals are always great, but in this one the drums, the beat, the song  . . .  evolved to something else. 

• Like 1

As usual, really good songwriting and good chops on the instruments and vocals. You have the touch of song arrangement!

I wonder if there is a compressor on your master bus that might being doing just a bit too much? Or maybe just the drum bus compressor? I think the mix could breathe a little more but I have no idearrr what you've got going. Still sounds great.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

think the mix could breathe a little more

Tom's ears are certainly better than my pretty battered set; but I'm not hearing it...

5 hours ago, mark skinner said:

nice bridge as well

I agree, really liked the harmony vocal that's fer shure!

Overall big 👍's

t

On 11/6/2021 at 10:07 PM, noynekker said:

Hey Douglas . . . very cool song, and it sounds like you've done something different here, different than your usual, changed up the songwriting . . . your vocals are always great, but in this one the drums, the beat, the song  . . .  evolved to something else. 

Thanks for the compliments - I appreciate it.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:23 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

As usual, really good songwriting and good chops on the instruments and vocals. You have the touch of song arrangement!

I wonder if there is a compressor on your master bus that might being doing just a bit too much? Or maybe just the drum bus compressor? I think the mix could breathe a little more but I have no idearrr what you've got going. Still sounds great.

Thanks for your ears Tom - I agreed with you about the drums - I had the Voxengo Crunchessor on the drum bus - I was looking for a bit of punch to the sound of the kit - but I agreed with you after listening again - so I made some adjustments to the mix - thanks for the input.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 9:30 AM, mark skinner said:

Great Job . I Especially liked the toms , they kept everything moving and chugging like a freight train. Very nice bridge as well , it fit in perfectly.   Enjoyed it ..  mark 

Yes, there is quite a bit of toms in this one - thanks for your comments and for listening.

23 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Tom's ears are certainly better than my pretty battered set; but I'm not hearing it...

I agree, really liked the harmony vocal that's fer shure!

Overall big 👍's

t

Thanks for listening Tom - I think you heard a newer mix than the one the other Tom (Phonobrainer) listened to - I think in the earlier version, due to my compression settings on the drum bus, the drums were overpowering everything else in the mix. I think it sounds a bit better now.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 12:17 PM, Douglas Kirby said:

Here's another new one for the album I'm working on called "The Westerly Sessions Volume IX".  As always, any comments and critiques are welcome, and thanks for listening.

Hello Douglas....very, very well done....I like the drums (are they real drums or did you write on the DAW??)....great mix....great playing....great song....great arrangement 🎸🎵🥁🎹

• Like 1

Doug, I'm always impressed with your arrangements, not to mention the excellent guitar playing. I almost didn't recognize your voc because of whatever treatment you have on that track. Or I just need to adjust my hearing aids. Whatever, great job on this one.
-Bjorn

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 5:42 PM, Larry T. said:

Hello Douglas....very, very well done....I like the drums (are they real drums or did you write on the DAW??)....great mix....great playing....great song....great arrangement 🎸🎵🥁🎹

Thanks Larry - the drums are programmed by me using Addictive Drums 2 - the fills are GrooveMonkee. I appreciate your comments.

• Like 1