Steinberg's consolidation of previous versions to Cubase 12?

locrian

11 minutes ago, husker said:

This now works out great for us that purchased 10.5 to 11 and never registered.  We register now, and we get 11 and 12.

great indeed but maybe they do so to push toward something we still have no clue at this time ....

I'm glad I moved my Xils Lab licenses from eLicenser to iLok some time back. I think these "must be online" license schemes a bit convoluted. The Roland Cloud is the same. I much prefer the iLok model: you can install the license on your machine (which I avoid, as I have lost licenses that way in the past), you can deposit your license in a dongle and you can insure it for $30/year (which is negligible considering the value of the licenses)  and, lately and for some softwares, you can create a session on the cloud to access your license for the job at hand and have zero risk of losing it in any way (the best method IMO).

BTW... I always thought that what defines the date to include your license in the grace period or not was the activation (installing the license on the eLicenser or on the computer to unlock the program) and not the registration of the software at Steinberg, what I always did immediately after purchase as a security measure.

26 minutes ago, Zo said:

great indeed but maybe they do so to push toward something we still have no clue at this time ....

This is a buyer beware situation.  If v12 is the only reason one is buying or registering, there is no guarantee of features or delivery time.  For Cubase 12, Steinberg were careful not to say it was due in "early" 2022 like they did with Dorico 4.

Though I suspect they want to see how the new licensing scheme works with the smaller Dorico user audience first before they do it with the much larger Cubase audience.

I moved out from Cubase because that ridiculous .5 version upgrade change. I don't know any other company that charge you for a .5 upgrade, even less if it is fur such soo small features upgrades. I remember when I hae Cubase I was asked to pay for the .5 upgrade which solved a known issue. Not to mention that Steinberg is painfuly slow to release patches for their bugs AND THEY CHARGE YOU FOR THOSE PATCHES!!!

I really liked Cubase but that policy is absurd. And if you add to that their eLicenser then I am really surprised that people still uses Cubase these days considering other DAWs with way better upgrades policy, as Reaper, Cakewalk, Studio One, etc.

Anyway, I check back from time to time if Cubase has changed their policies casue I would like to use it again, but sadly they stay with the same.

Just my US$0.02

Edited by Patricio Campos

1 hour ago, locrian said:

I really hate the new licensing requirement of having to check-in once a year (or else your copy de-authorizes)!

Not sure where you saw once a year... unless you were joking.

Per web site

Once your software is activated, your computer only needs to be connected to the internet once every 30 days to renew the offline allowance for your Steinberg software products.

11 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Looks like it's 365 days for offline  licensing and 30 days for online.

Why are they going to do this? Is it because:

1. they only trust us for one year

2. they want to force us to visit their site once a year so that they can solicit us

3. they collect our usage stats over the year and then retrieve them at the end of the year?

There's no good reason for this policy; it's just another thing to have to worry about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, locrian said:

Why are they going to do this? Is it because:

1. they only trust us for one year

2. they want to force us to visit their site once a year so that they can solicit us

3. they collect our usage stats over the year and then retrieve them at the end of the year?

There's no good reason for this policy; it's just another thing to have to worry about.

Like when DST happens opening Cubase resans all the plugins? 

I didn't notice it last week TBH, it usually takes a good amount of time.

2 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Like when DST happens opening Cubase resans all the plugins? 

I didn't notice it last week TBH, it usually takes a good amount of time.

I think SB may have corrected this problem a few versions ago.

But for me it doesn't matter since I've disabled automatic time updates in Windows (and everything else automatic, for that matter).

I think this change is pretty bad

basically  it's the same licensing model as the new BFD3 - and look about what happened there ! 

What they've done is instigate a backdoor 30 day subscription but with the payment upfront.  You never actually get a full time license.

You need to log in every 30 days to get your subscription updated otherwise the software stops working.  If for any reason their servers are offline then your software will be disabled and you're out of luck.

What's worse is that they are planning to retire the elicenser servers so that it will be impossible to move any licences left on them - it's also looking likely that when that happens those licences will be unable to upgraded.  They become 'invisible' to Steinberg.  Basically they will freeze them until the elicenser breaks or disappears...and when that happens there is no support.

I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea ?

Read the FAQ and decide for yourself of course but I'm really not impressed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nevertheless, the Grace Period for Cubase 12 already starts on November 10!

This means that as soon as Cubase 12 has been released, any Cubase 11 license activated after November 9, 2021 can be updated to the corresponding Cubase version (Cubase Pro 12, Cubase Artist 12 or Cubase Elements 12) for free.

23 minutes ago, simon said:

Very bad!!!

24 minutes ago, simon said:

basically  it's the same licensing model as the new BFD3 - and look about what happened there !

Yes, they should have learned from that.

25 minutes ago, simon said:

What they've done is instigate a backdoor 30 day subscription but with the payment upfront.  You never actually get a full time license.

And yet they advertise it as an exciting new developmnet for us.

26 minutes ago, simon said:

You need to log in every 30 days to get your subscription updated otherwise the software stops working.  If for any reason their servers are offline then your software will be disabled and you're out of luck.

Which makes it worse than the eLicenser.

33 minutes ago, simon said:

My answer is: a moron (completely untethered to the world of modern music making).

26 minutes ago, simon said:

What's worse is that they are planning to retire the elicenser servers so that it will be impossible to move any licences left on them - it's also looking likely that when that happens those licences will be unable to upgraded.  They become 'invisible' to Steinberg.  Basically they will freeze them until the elicenser breaks or disappears...and when that happens there is no support.

If this means that I lose the ability to use my current version of Cubase (ver 11) in perpetuity (b/c I will never upgrade again!), then it becomes a Melville-esque scenario:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, simon said:

Read the FAQ and decide for yourself of course but I'm really not impressed.

I agree.
I'd rather have elicenser or iLok rather than this 30 day model...

• Like 4