2021.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

21 hours ago, Steev said:

Just took a shot of whiskey, inhaled a DEEP BREATH, closed my eyes, bit the bullet, clicked my mouse & updated/installed the newest version release of Windows 10 Pro 21H2.

It was a nerve wrack 'in 20 or 30 minutes or so............. of...... ant..is...a....pa........tion....😫......😫....... 🤬......  😫...... but the agony was all for naught. 😮 it all blew by without a glitch.  FASTEST MOST UNEVENTFUL OS UPDATE EVER & IT ROCKS STEADY WITH CAKEWALK by BANDLAB! 😎👍👍💪🏻💪🏻🤠🤠🙏🏼🥂🍻

NO changes to system configuration.

NO having to reregister any 3rd party software or plugins.

And SO DOES the new release of CbB 2021.11 running better the ever on my [NOT a laptop] custom built full tower Studio Workstation SMOOTH & EFFICIENTLY as a Hot Rod Lincoln on a silk highway!👍👍

I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! 😎 😂🤪

And the results of this morning's "Bench Test"

744828117_CakewalkStresstest2021-11-17_9-13-44.jpg.d103dd6bd0b998cd4e6281c132f77b91.jpg

https://www.bandlab.com/post/85c786ef-b547-ec11-9820-e42aac7a5303

Thank you or this Steev.I may download 21 H2 myself.

I wonder if there is somewhere a signal flow chart for the exporting tasks function?

It would be very helpful for tracking down the signal flow in different scenarios (different sources and presets), instead of going trial and error...

Thanks!

Edited by Andres Medina

I found a behavior change with the new bounce-to-tracks dialog that is a bit annoying IMO:

If you use a preset and change some values, then it runs as you want it. But when you open the bounce dialog again to redo with the same settings, then all values are reset to the preset and the changed values are lost!

In earlier versions of Sonar/Cakewalk the changed values were retained and I found this convenient! Like that it was not necessary to have dozens of presets!

• Like 1

Anyone use the new export function to export arranger sections? I just tried a large project with around 30 arranger sections and only 20 sections exported - they were all listed as a task, but the process completed without creating all the files (they were all exported as MP3)

I then clicked on the arranger section of a missing file, to highlight that section, and then exported to audio using the drop down on top left  'Export' button - the audio of the missing section exported fine, so not really sure why it wasn't included in output from the new dialog.

Anyone seen this, or have an idea what could be wrong?

I put Cakewalk onto my new computer in February 2021.  My first update went smoothly, although I did not record the version.  It was probably then that my Cakewalk became version 2021.6.

I currently have operating on my computer Cakewalk.exe  file version  27.6.0.53,  product version 2021.6  Size - 32.9 MB.   

In the download folder I have "Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_27.09.0.145.exe"  [file version  27.9.0.145 = product version]  size = 49,441KB, which came when I said yes to a suggestion to update.  When I double click on this update file, it produces  "This installer requires Cakewalk by Bandlab version 2021.6"

It was suggested to me on this forum to try an install file "Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_Web_27.09.0.145.exe" [563,005 KB  download 10/9/2021].  When I tried this, it behaved well until it came to selecting the option for VST folder.  I have a folder named "I:\Recording Resources\VSTs"  where I place all the VSTs.  This folder currently has all the VSTs that cakewalk wants to install.  In this folder is a subfolder named "I:\Recording Resources\VSTs\X1plugins"   which as the name implies, is the stuff from previous Sonar.   THIS is where this installer wants to put everything.  

Today [11/23/2021], I tried again when I started Cakewalk on my computer and a notice said there was a new update.  The file it then downloaded was "Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_27.11.0.018" [563,026KB download 11/23/2021].  This file executed OK [not telling me I needed version 2021.6], and I decided to let it go, but it ended up not being able to handle the Sonatus stuff, and a few other items to which I said "OK" and it then proceeded to bomb, saying it could not find "MSVCR120.dll"  which I subsequently found in "C:\Windows\SysWOW", basically, where it belongs.  I do remember giving up on an install of Sebelius because it kept messing this file up.  I have repaired the Visual C++ 2013 files.

So, I have a few problems with these updates.  I started with the update thinking I did not have 2021.6, which I did, and both of the subsequent updates, which seem to be full program installs do not allow me to tell it where it should put its VSTs, and it bombs because it cannot handle registering a dll that is required to run the program [suggest having a copy in the install package?].

I currently have a nicely working Cakewalk program.  I do not want to have to clean up after this installer doubles up my VSTs. I am DAMNED GLAD I have done a complete system backup before running these installs.  Is it really necessary to have these updates in order to continue using Cakewalk?   I would be very happy to continue using the system I have than to have all the flashy new features in a broken system.  Can I just continue to log into Bandlab to re-activate Cakewalk every 6 months?  I have run a repair on Visual C++ 2013 [x86 and x64].  Is it possible to get an install that lets the user specify where things go and does not crash?

@dave coomber   Hey!
In my opinion, your first mistake is to place plug-ins in some kind of personal folder NOT on the system disk, where it should be located for reasons of the correct functioning of all elements of the Cakewalk system in Windows. This is probably why, after installing new versions, plugins from Sonitus and some other elements were not found for you, since Cakewalk searches for them in the default folder on the system disk.
If you accept the advice, try uninstalling ALL products from Cakewalk, delete all folders on the system drive, clean up all traces in the registry, and reinstall the latest version 27.11.0.018 weighing 549 MB.

And it is highly recommended NOT to change the location of any folders, in order to avoid possible failures, it is better to then copy the plugins you are used to from your personal folder to this system folder in compliance with the internal structure. Attempts to change the structure of SYSTEM folders in Windows have never been successful.

As for the MSVCR120.dll file, I can only assume that this is some kind of system file from (for) some other program that is also related to music, and why it gets corrupted - you should find out on the Internet.

Try to reconsider your alternative - don't choose "either clean system OR Cakewalk", you must try to make Cakewalk work properly in a clean system. And for this you do not need to "reinvent the bicycle". Otherwise, you better stay on Sonar X1, since the great new features in the latest versions of Cakewalk are not important to you.

@IgoRr

Thanx for the reply.  In a certain world, your suggestions make sense.  However....

Before starting with this at the beginning of the year, I did a lot of research on Cakewalk installations, in particular because the computer I have has a 128GB solid state drive and a 1TB hard drive.  Lots of people do I what I have.  Besides this, the Cakewalk installer at the time allowed for creation of subfolders to organize VSTs and other resources, as well as supporting multiple drives for the installation.  I had X1 installation media, and found others doing exactly what I did - install components paid for but not included with Bandlab's version.  As I said, I have a perfectly functioning CAKEWALK [not Sonar] installation, that these updates seemed to have a problem with. 

Also note that in the "Plugin Manager" there is a facility for inclusion of folders that Cakewalk will scan for plugins.  This works, as I just tested it by removing the X1Plugins from this list, and it scanned and found 13 fewer plugins.  Putting it back in the list returned to the original total.  It just does not make sense for Bandlab to allow creation of this facility during an installation, and then failing the update because the window for selecting the folder for various items are greyed out.  There, but not usable.  Not sure if I want to try doing an update with the X1Plugins folder removed from the list.

Edited by dave coomber
additional info

@dave coomber   

In the case when you already have Keywok installed, and some other folder for installing plugins was initially selected, all subsequent installations (updates) will be performed along the same path, therefore this option for selecting a new folder is not active. Regarding the option of adding other folders with plugins, this is for plugins that either do not have an installer as such (portable), or are installed in other folders, but still on the system disk.

Regarding the system disk (SSD) - at present, 128 GB is very small, I have 250 GB (NVME), but I plan to change it to 500 GB, because I was convinced in practice that there should be more free space on the system disk for easy and fast work programs, this is a prerequisite originally laid down by the Microsoft system.

Regarding plugins, I can't advise you anything, only you yourself can determine what you really need. But I personally, from all the additional content to Sonar, install only a few resonance libraries for BReverb, and a couple of sets of plugins for the built-in ProChannel, all other proprietary plugins and tools have become outdated for a long time. Now on the market there are thousands of modern and much more functional and effective plugins, I have spent the last 4-5 years for practical comparison and selection of necessary and useful plugins, which I almost completely replaced the former plugins for Sonar.

Re Bug: Stretched clips not exported.

I changed the tempo on my current project some time ago (120 to 140bpm). Not wanting to re-record vocals, I used audiosnap to "stretch" vocal clips to match the tempo change (86%). It worked quite well – vocals sounded good! Project exported normally to mp3.

However beginning with update 2021.09, the "stretched" vocals were no longer exported to mp3. Only silence. I reverted to 2021.06 and all was fine. I did notice however that during the export process in 2021.06 there was a period of audio rendering before the mp3 settings dialog appeared (presumably rendering each of the vocal clips). There is no such rendering in 2021.09 and 2021.11, so then, I suppose, no sound.

I did come up with a workaround – simply freeze each of the vocal tracks, triggering audio rendering of the "streched" clips. The tracks now export properly using the current release (2021.11). A minor nuisance now, but a perplexing problem until a workaround was found.

[Note: I needed to change freeze options, unchecking Track FX, to get tracks using TAL-Vocoder-2 to freeze properly, otherwise no sound. Other plugins, Rovee and Sonitus Reverb, did not cause this problem.]

It looks like this bug was reported by Jacques Boileau on Nov 11.

I installed version 2021.11 (Build 018), and my projects don't want to open. I've tried everything, formatted my computer several times, stopped installing plugins, among other attempts, and they won't open.Here is the link to a question I asked, there I left a report of all the attempts I made  following the instructions of other users, and nothing resolved.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/36933-cakewalk-wont-open-my-projects/

The plugins are loaded, however when it appears it will open the DAW it closes.

Yesterday it was working normally, but version 2021.09 (Build 145). The version 2021.11 (018) that don't work.

Watch the video below if possible.

4 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

There could be several things happening for the crash.
Try changing the value of the crash handling variable.

image.png.0590a0c55d42456530f13b48e12fa271.png

You can also try opening the project in safe mode. It will identify if there is any problem in any plugin.

I've already tried these methods, I even formatted the computer and didn't install any plugins, nor did the missing plugins window appear. The DAW closes like the video I sent.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Herbert Miron said:

I installed version 2021.11 (Build 018), and my projects don't want to open. I've tried everything, formatted my computer several times, stopped installing plugins, among other attempts, and they won't open.Here is the link to a question I asked, there I left a report of all the attempts I made  following the instructions of other users, and nothing resolved.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/36933-cakewalk-wont-open-my-projects/

The plugins are loaded, however when it appears it will open the DAW it closes.

Yesterday it was working normally, but version 2021.09 (Build 145). The version 2021.11 (018) that don't work.

Watch the video below if possible.

@Herbert Miron - can you send a copy of of your project to @Jonathan Sasor ?   We'll take a closer look as to what is going on here.