Cakewalk - Enabled a weird option that drives me crazy

Storm Productions Music

Question

Hi there,

I'm having a very weird problem with Cakewalk  recently. 

I'm new to this app, so I don't really know what all these track buttons do, even though I tried reading and watching tutorials.

Everything worked as expected for a while, until I clicked somewhere and enabled an option that does the following:

So, I added two tracks, a vocal track and an instrumental track so I can put some VST's on the vocal one. I opened a delay VST that I use, made somechanges to it, everything worked great. When I pressed space to hear the results, the blue waves on the right became gray, and some weird white shapes started appearing on them. When I hover over the gray waves, my mouse cursor becomes a pencil that gives me the impression it wants to edit something. Now, everything I do some changes to the VST and press space, the VST changes get reverted to the changes before the gray thing started happening.

Blue waves before the problem starts happening: image.png.95b8d78834cb25f3c3d9c112bf9b1d9c.png

Gray waves with white shapes that appeared when doing some changes to the VST: image.png.0c0bac10f3ca761e0916d2ec3d662c82.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

11 answers to this question

Those are volume envelopes. Not at my computer so can’t give details. 
But here’s a good way to learn what icons are for. 
Open the help module and point the mouse at a icon or widget. The help module will tell you what it does 

The term VST is used for both audio effects and soft synth instruments. What are you trying to use? 
If that track is vocals it should be a mono track as well. 

Edited by John Vere

4 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Those are volume envelopes. Not at my computer so can’t give details. 
But here’s a good way to learn what icons are for. 
Open the help module and point the mouse at a icon or widget. The help module will tell you what it does 

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I would like to turn off the VST editing mode, if I can call it like that.

Today I found out what this option does. Whenever you import all your VSTs and play your track for the first time, all changes you make for the VST are being saved, and when you play for the second time, the changes would be automatically done exactly as if you would do them again. 

This seems like an useful option for some users, but I'd like to disable it, so that when I make changes to a VST while playing, it won't save them anymore.

Thanks.

So I’m seeing a stereo track because you probably have used the rendering to apply the effects. 
That’s not a great idea because it is destructive editing 

Put the effects in the effects bin. 
Or create a effects buss and the all your vocal tracks can share the same set up 

I cover this in this video 

2 minutes ago, John Vere said:

So I’m seeing a stereo track because you probably have used the rendering to apply the effects. 
That’s not a great idea because it is destructive editing 

Put the effects in the effects bin. 
Or create a effects buss and the all your vocal tracks can share the same set up 

Okay, thanks for your advice.

What about turning off the feature mentioned in my first post? 
What you said isn't related to that. :( 

I really don’t know what you’re referring to because I don’t know what you have done. It seems you’re trying to do things in an unorthodox manner. 
As I said normally you put audio effects in the effects bin which can be turned on and off. Or you use a send to an effect buss. Or you use the pro channel which also can be turned on and off

I am not familiar with an effect feature or was I aware there is such a feature as VST editing mode?  Ya, you can change VST effect settings using the GUI,> So somehow I have a feeling your question is hard to answer because you are possibly using an incorrect term for what your trying to do. 

Possibly you have just toggled a keyboard shortcut that opened the envelope editing tool. 

Usually using Undo will fix stuff. 

If not re start the project. Your screen shot is of too small a section of the track to know what else could be happening. All I see is a envelope in the second shot. There are lots of different envelopes the blue colour would tell me what it is if I go and look, but it's possibly an effects automation?  Is this your mystery VST editing mode?  Just delete it in the envelope lane 

Edited by John Vere

Right click the envelope line you created and choose delete. That'll stop whatever you've written from always being applied to the track unintentionally (as the others have said, nobody can see what you enabled to write the automation).

If the wave display is still grey, hold down shift and left click the clip, which should put you back into Clips mode.

You've likely activated a track edit filter, check this out:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Automation.11.html

If that's not it, you've probably bumped the automation write button like was mentioned earlier. On the track is a R and W button, near the mute/solo/record buttons. Make sure the W isn't activated.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

Hi 😀

Perhaps you have activated the Automation Write mode. Some Parameters do have a thin red line around them.

Every changes you make on play is recorded. Click on the "W"  button in the related track to deactivate it .

Global W in the Control View...

Bassman

Hi,

Yes, that helped me. 

Thanks a ton! :)

It looks like you had recorded un intended automation. To delete just the automation: you need to select the entire track:  go the the EDIT tab and select DELETE SPECIAL: that will open up a screen that will allow you to delete only the automation - read the choices and make sure  EVENTs in TRACKS is not selected.

Edited by RBH