Looking for input before final mix

steve@baselines.com

Hello all songwriters and producers/engineers.  I'm asking for your critical comments if you have a minute.  I've put this through 3 or 4 mixes and I like the headphone sound, but I bring it out to the truck and it's still not pleasing.  The low end I think is what is bothering me, and maybe lack of electric rhythm guitar.

Can you offer some technical suggestions before I publish it?

Thanks a bunch for your time and comments.

https://baselines.com/Please_Saint_Peter3.mp3

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Nice tune, and good playing! To my ears, the ride bell's a bit loud, compared to the hats. As you mentioned, the bass is a little strong - try pulling the EQ down a bit around 100-150Hz, and maybe try raising a bit around 400Hz. As you do have quite a bit of low end energy going, you might try putting a shelf on most of the other non-bass tracks and lowing a bit around 50-100Hz; don't go too strong, or use a cut like some tutorials say as I often find it leads to a thin mix. That's just a rough guide - if it sounds good, keep it; if it sounds bad, try something else.

• Like 1

Obviously something is wrong with the furry lugs today the bass sounds fine on my Adam's, if anything the mix sound a little top biased I agree the cymbal bell needs to be pulled back a  tad.

Other than that I liked the song it sounds well played and composed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, antler said:

Hi Steve

Nice tune, and good playing! To my ears, the ride bell's a bit loud, compared to the hats. As you mentioned, the bass is a little strong - try pulling the EQ down a bit around 100-150Hz, and maybe try raising a bit around 400Hz. As you do have quite a bit of low end energy going, you might try putting a shelf on most of the other non-bass tracks and lowing a bit around 50-100Hz; don't go too strong, or use a cut like some tutorials say as I often find it leads to a thin mix. That's just a rough guide - if it sounds good, keep it; if it sounds bad, try something else.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.  I agree about that ride cymbal and I will adjust it down a little.

3 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Obviously something is wrong with the furry lugs today the bass sounds fine on my Adam's, if anything the mix sound a little top biased I agree the cymbal bell needs to be pulled back a  tad.

Other than that I liked the song it sounds well played and composed.

Thanks Wookiee - I am going to fix that ride cymbal today!

• Like 1

My suggestion about the bass was about how the bass line itself sounded quite quiet in the mix to me. Despite that, I could feel it (more than I could hear it), leading me to think there to be quite a lot of low end energy. You also mentioned how it didn't sound quite right in the truck - sound systems in cars/trucks tend to have a bass boost.

It could be my listening environment isn't the best - do whatever works best for the mix!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, antler said:

My suggestion about the bass was about how the bass line itself sounded quite quiet in the mix to me. Despite that, I could feel it (more than I could hear it), leading me to think there to be quite a lot of low end energy. You also mentioned how it didn't sound quite right in the truck - sound systems in cars/trucks tend to have a bass boost.

It could be my listening environment isn't the best - do whatever works best for the mix!

No, you were spot on.  I use Renaissance bass plugin to add that very low end, and it was higher than it should have been for 60hz range.  Hopefully I have that fixed.  I uploaded what I hope is the final here: https://baselines.com/?p=6319

Thanks a bunch for helping me out with this.

Steve

Interesting tune!  I really like the melody and the guitar parts.

On the whole, I think the mix is good.

Here's a few minor suggestions.

The bass line could be tweaked to let the snare have a little more space.  The easiest way to do this is to retrack the bass part and

don't play a bass note right when the snare is struck or to  play that particular bass note quieter.  

When the piano and keys are going at the same time - notch out (EQ)  some space in the piano track to let the vocals shine through a bit more.

Again minor points, I am digging the tune!

-Eric

• Like 1

Hi Eric - I am back.  I cut out a bunch of the bass notes and really dialed back the Renaissance Bass, and I think I am overjoyed - I have to check it on different speakers, but your suggestion has made the song so much better.  It opens up the snare and actually makes the bass better by eliminating some notes during the verses.

Steve

On 11/7/2021 at 12:52 PM, Eric Parsons said:

Interesting tune!  I really like the melody and the guitar parts.

On the whole, I think the mix is good.

Here's a few minor suggestions.

The bass line could be tweaked to let the snare have a little more space.  The easiest way to do this is to retrack the bass part and

don't play a bass note right when the snare is struck or to  play that particular bass note quieter.  

When the piano and keys are going at the same time - notch out (EQ)  some space in the piano track to let the vocals shine through a bit more.

Again minor points, I am digging the tune!

-Eric

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

Steve , Great song ! I liked the warmth of the 1st mix until I heard the clarity of the 2nd one. You picked up a very Beatle "ish" feel on this one.   Great writing and performance ..  No suggestions.  Enjoyed it ..  mark 

Hey thanks Mark - I think a lot of the Beatleish stuff is due to the Reel ADT I used on the vocals...that and the Bass part I guess since I am a huge early McCartney sound.  I made some more edits based on the comments here and I think I can make it a lot better.  Thank you for listening.

Steve

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Hi Eric - I am back.  I cut out a bunch of the bass notes and really dialed back the Renaissance Bass, and I think I am overjoyed - I have to check it on different speakers, but your suggestion has made the song so much better.  It opens up the snare and actually makes the bass better by eliminating some notes during the verses.

Steve

Hey Steve -

Cool!  I'm interested in hearing the new mix.  Is it available?