Reverb chamber #2.

Shane_B.

Earlier this year I mentioned that I accidentally created a reverb chamber in one of the rooms of my house. I just did it again. We bought a fixer upper house when we moved to MO about 9 years ago and I'm finishing up the last room now. It's about 15' x 16' with 8' ceilings. I put down a new subfloor that is smooth and we are waiting for carpet to come in a few weeks. Nothing changed in the room. Last week I put up crown moulding and still there was really no change. Then I caulked the top and bottom of the moulding and it instantly made another reverb chamber. I sat in there for hours last night playing my acoustic. It's unreal. It was the caulking I put on the crown where it meets the ceiling and the wall that made the difference. It must block the sound waves from going behind it and getting trapped and forces them to sweep over it and down the walls. I'm actually going to miss this room when it's done. It sounds so good. I don't know how it would be to record in though. I typically like dead and then add my own room sound. I'll post some pics later. 

You never know.

My old place had a big bay window. I stood in it and my guitar sounded GLORIOUS.  So naturally I thought I'd stick a mike in there to capture some of that sonic heaven. But when I played it back it sounded like pure canine fecal matter.

Bigger room just might sound better, though.

• Like 1

That is a bit surprising, but pinning nodes more firmly will allow for standing waves to resonate longer. In theory, if you put a pin hole in the center of a drum head (Bessel function) it should kill it completely, but there is more physics to it than math.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mettelus said:

there is more physics to it than math

physics is just applied maths so the maths still applies, however we are likely to simplify the maths (because the real world is super complex) so that might not seem right

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 9:16 AM, bitflipper said:

You could always record an impulse response before finishing the room, then use a convolution reverb to replicate it later.

Of course, that can't duplicate the creative inspiration you get from playing in a reverberant space.

Some of the guys here suggested I do that in the other room. It had a longer decay and would probably make a better impulse. The more work I do in this room the more the reverb is declining. It's truly amazing how all this works. I would love to have a dedicated room that sounded like either one.

Edited by Shane_B.
Fixed typo.

A few years ago I had the privilege of hearing a recreation of the legendary Fort Worden Cistern reverb as part of Pauline Oliveros' 80th birthday celebration concert.  This page includes a description of how Jonas Braasch at RPI did the recreation. The use of multiple microphones and multiple speakers as well as the sound characteristics might be of interest to you .   

Edited by User 905133
spelling correction