interleave button

1 hour ago, martins said:

let say if we put a sonitus EQ(stereo plug) on a kick track(mono-clip), interleave-button set to stereo,does the EQ will process the track as stereo?

No, it will process one channel (mono) either left or right because the original track is mono. Just activating the interleave button doesn't make the mono track stereo.

Now, you can send a mono track to a stereo bus with a stereo effect and then it can be processed in stereo

27 minutes ago, martins said:

do you guys set the interleave button to mono?

If the track is mono, then the interleave is mono. no need to set it. if the track is stereo, then the interleave is set to stereo, no need to change it.

28 minutes ago, martins said:

im more on i want to be sure that the kick (clip mono) is output-mono(including FX plug)??

Then make sure the signal chain stays in mono.

1 hour ago, CJ Jacobson said:

If the track is mono, then the interleave is mono. no need to set it. if the track is stereo, then the interleave is set to stereo, no need to change it.

Any new Audio track inserted into a project will have the interleave set to stereo by default. Even if the input is set to a mono source or a mono clip is pasted into the track, the interleave will remain stereo until it is manually changed. If a tracks interleave is set to stereo then the pan knob acts as a balance control. So it is important to change the interleave if you want the pan to behave as expected.

However to answer the OP;

3 hours ago, martins said:

if we put a sonitus EQ(stereo plug) on a kick track(mono-clip), interleave-button set to stereo,does the EQ will process the track as stereo?

This would depend on whether any stereo FX are placed in the FX bin before  the EQ. The Sonitus EQ does not have separate L-R  processing. So if the source is mono the Left and Right outputs of the EQ are identical.

• Like 2

This is probably in regards to my post from this morning :)

I'll try to explain a little better...

A mono track is one Audio signal Vs. two. Drums are a unique blend of pieces that require individual attention.

Kick- Kick needs to stay dry (90%) of the time. Compression and EQ are your friends, Reverbs and Delays are your enemy. That's not to say a tiny bit of stereo reverb will kill your mix but your Kick drum requires focus and that is usually obtained by a dry compressed signal acting as a metronome if you will. It will clash with your bass guitar so tweak EQ to make them both "Sit in the mix".

Snare- Allowed more Reverb and Delays.

Toms- Allowed more Reverb and Delays.

Cymbals- Similar to the Kick, be careful with Reverbs and Delays.

- Drum pieces are best mixed separately, and sent to a Bus. But pay close detail to that bus and FX you may throw on it. a little EQ and Bus compression is suitable but you shouldn't need anything drastic because your kit should already be mixed decently before it hits the Drum Bus.

- Using a stereo reverb or Delay on a Drum Bus can cause issues with the Kick (and other drum pieces) getting "Lost in the mix".

- Freezing Drum tracks that are soft synths is okay but you have to watch the phase relation, a Frozen sample could easily swallow up your good kick or snare sound because its out of phase.

• Like 2

Pan rules on cakewalk are different for mono and stereo tracks.

But, in my example, i took themono track to stereo when i added breverb. Then, using channel tools i sum to mono and see a 3 db gain as expected.

When using interleave to sum to mono, you can see it is still after the addition of breverb, but it does not add 3db. 

Only cakewalk knows for sure, but my guess is they are reducing by 3db after summing to hide this complexity on a mono track. Could be another reason... Idk.

Linux DAWs like mixbus show you when your mono shifts to stereo with little lines between the vsts. In cakewalk, it isn't obvious.

Mostly, i don't care and feel in control.

Edited by Gswitz

Be aware that tracks can shift from mono to stereo (and back) internally with no visible indication. The DAW's decision to switch interleave internally is based on information each plugin provides to it. 

Most of the time, this works transparently without complications. Occasionally, though, it can produce unexpected results. Some plugins automatically sense mono input and adjust themselves to spit mono out. But not all of them do that. Some vendors (e.g. Waves, FabFilter) supply separate mono and stereo versions of their plugins, and it's important (most of the time) that you use the right one.

A good rule of thumb is that any time you knowingly insert a stereo effect into a mono track, just assume you'll need to manually change the interleave to stereo. This isn't always the case, but it is true often enough to just make it a habit. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, Base 57 said:

If a tracks interleave is set to stereo then the pan knob . So it is important to change the interleave if you want the pan to behave as expected.

Hi, could You elaborate this topic a bit? what does "acts as a balance control" mean. What is the exact difference of how pan knob works with interleave button set to stereo vs set to mono?

Technically, the term "pan" only refers to how mono tracks are fed into a stereo bus. With stereo tracks, "panning" is a bit of a misnomer, because a stereo track is really two mono tracks tied together and already hard-panned left and right.

The pan slider is actually a balance control, like one you'd see on a hi-fi amplifier. It simply turns down one side or the other. Consequently, the track's stereo image does not change, just one side gets quieter. If you move the slider all the way to the left, the right channel completely disappears, possibly losing important information. This is not a problem for mono tracks, only stereo.

A better way to "pan" stereo tracks is to use a plugin such as Channel Tools, which lets you actually position the left and right channels as if they were two mono tracks. That lets you actually alter the stereo image, e.g. making it less wide or shifting the whole thing to one side while preserving both channels' information.

Things really get messed up if your interleave is wrong. If a stereo track's interleave is set to mono, the two channels are combined and the track becomes effectively mono. If a mono track's interleave is set to stereo, then the track is duplicated to get (identical) left and right channels at the output. In either situation, the pan control may not behave as you expect it to.

A further complication happens when you insert a stereo effect onto a mono track. That turns it into a stereo track internally. Consequently, any panning choices you make should be based on it now being a stereo track. But if the interleave is still set to mono, the output of that track will be treated as mono. Sometimes that's no big deal, sometimes it'll leave you scratching your head wondering why that ping-pong delay is only pinging and not ponging.

I know, it's complicated. But you can avoid problems by keeping the appropriate interleave and only change it if using a plugin that you know is going to switch the track to stereo, such as a chorus plugin.

• Like 3

On 5/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, chuckebaby said:

This is probably in regards to my post from this morning :)

I'll try to explain a little better...

- Freezing Drum tracks that are soft synths is okay but you have to watch the phase relation, a Frozen sample could easily swallow up your good kick or snare sound because its out of phase.

I use Superior Drummer 3 as my drums soft synth. Are you saying freezing could cause a phase issue that’s not present in the unfrozen synth output?