KV331 Audio releases SynthMaster v2.9.10 - Apple Silicon compatibility and more

cclarry

KV331 Audioย announced the version 2.9.10 update for theirย SynthMaster 2ย andย SynthMaster 2 Playerย software synthesizers. This free update brings native support for Apple Silicon Macs, major usability improvements and critical bug fixes.

The new features in this update are as follows:

Native Support for Apple Silicon Macs: SynthMaster 2 and SynthMaster 2 Player now run natively on Apple Silicon Macs, provided that the DAW is running natively.

New Factory Presets: 150 new factory presets by NatLife, Yuli Yola and Selcuk Ergen are now added to SynthMaster's factory library, increasing the presets count to 2000.

New Skins: All SynthMaster 2 iOS skins are now working inside SynthMaster 2. That adds 4 new skins to SynthMaster 2. SynthMaster Player's skins are updated as well, they're now in line with SynthMaster.

Keyboard and Velocity Zones: Each layer in SynthMaster 2 has now its own keyboard and velocity zones, letting the users to play different layers on different keyboard/velocity ranges.

Pitch Quantization using Scales: The pitches of Oscillators or Modulators can now be quantized using a user selected scale. This lets the pitch to stay in tune within that specific scale.

Larger Popup Windows for Arps, Sequencers and Multisegmented Envelopes: Due to the small areas allocated for Arps, Sequencers or Multisegmented Envelopes, editing those modules were challenging at times. With the introduction of popup windows, users can now press the zoom button to bring up the larger edit window(s) which take up the entire plugin window.

Sequencer Edit Modes: With the introduction of the "Edit Mode", it is easier to edit steps for a Sequencer:

Step: This mode is used to add rectangular steps (initial and final values are the same).

Up: This mode is used add upward steps (initial value is always zero).

Down: This mode is used to add downward steps (final value is always zero).

Freehand: This mode allows the user to draw freehand shapes.

Aside from the new features, there are critical bug fixes in this update:

Voices termination algorithm is not working correctly for some presets.

SynthMaster crashes when arpeggiator generates notes lower than MIDI Note 0.

Switcing from basic/additive/vector types to wavetable types for oscillators might crash SynthMaster.

Switcing from wavetable type to basic/additive/vector types for oscillators might crash SynthMaster VST AU AAX iOS Software synthesizer.

SynthMaster crashes when playing a multisample that contains a region with an invalid wave file.

SynthMaster crashes when license key file downloaded from KV331 Audio server contains invalid values.

When a preset is saved under a sub folder under 'Presets' folder, the sub folder name should be interpreted as the bank name.

SynthMaster doesn't display purchase status of products correctly.

SynthMaster can not get access token for Google Cloud services.

Arpeggiator continues recording notes after user switches from Record to Off state.

In Mono Legato mode, oscillators/modulators don't reset phase/position correctly.

ADSR Envelopes can generate out of bound outputs when envelope durations are very short.

Presets using compressor effect with "Layer 1 Dry/Layer 2 Dry" sidechain might sound at different volume level.

When loading older presets, Sequencers with retrigger enabled are loaded as Global instead of Mono.

FM doesn't work for Osc2 when Sync is turned on.

Notes terminate before the envelope(s) complete release stage.

SynthMaster doesn't filter incoming MIDI messages by channel number.

Filter keytracking doesn't correctly glide in mono legato mode.

Older presets with glide LFOs don't load correctly.

When Arp view is in record mode, it instantly changes the arp mode to "Sequence".

SynthMaster crashes when a modulation amount is changed for a mod matrix entry which doesn't have any visible targets on the user interface.

Layer voice stealing should be set to "Steal Released Notes" for older presets.

Layer clipping should be turned off for older presets.

When Layer 2 is bypassed when a note was playing, and it was turned on again, hanging notes occur.

https://www.synthmaster.com/synthmaster.aspx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

New Factory Presets: 150 new factory presets by NatLife, Yuli Yola and Selcuk Ergen are now added to SynthMaster's factory library, increasing the presets count to 2000.

Yuli also contributed a number of presets to the Arturia Pigments 3 factory library, as well as to the P3 expansion banks Amethyst, Crimson, Malachite, Ochre, and Onyx.

He has added some very nice pads and leads to SynthMaster 2. Worth checking them out!

Selcuk has added some very interesting presets to SM, especially like his arpeggios! And NatLife has some very modern and aggressive sounds. Watch out for the volume boost on most of his presets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

At what point are they going to start calling this SynthMaster 3.0? Many other companies would have called this a major upgrade just for the Apple Silicon compatibility alone, and charged for the upgrade. SynthMaster is the synth that keeps on giving.

I believe their plan was that Synth Master 3 would combine SM2 with Synth Master One.

23 minutes ago, John Maar said:

The standalone version is still unusably small in 4K screens scaled to 200%. Disappointing. At least the VST2 version is usable on my system.

Try running the SynthMaster plugin .dll in the free NanoHost, instead of the native standalone host. I use it for all of my synths that don't have standalone versions, and find it consistently more usable than KV331 Audio's standalone version.

https://www.tone2.com/nanohost.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

I believe their plan was that Synth Master 3 would combine SM2 with Synth Master One.

Bulent at KV331 Audioย  has been planning a SynthMaster 3 for about as long as Urs Hechmannย  at u-he has been planning a Zebra 3. ๐Ÿ˜‚

From what I have heard, he was going to start full time work on SM3 development a couple years ago, but got sidetracked with his iOS projects. That is finished now, but I think that Mac silicon threw him a new curve ball.

These more recent updates that he has been making for SM2.9 have been to enable technology compatibility with SynthMaster One. So that presets from either synth can be loaded into a SynthMaster 3 layer. So yes, SM3 should be a combination of the two existing synths, with some additional new features, improved user interface, more layers, granular synthesis, wavetable editor, etc.

But these current maintenance and bug fixes to SM2 will ensure that it's still a strong synth on its own for the time being!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, abacab said:

Try running the SynthMaster plugin .dll in the free NanoHost, instead of the native standalone host. I use it for all of my synths that don't have standalone versions, and find it consistently more usable than KV331 Audio's standalone version.

https://www.tone2.com/nanohost.html

Thanks for the idea. I already had theย NanoHost executable, but hadn't thoughtย of trying it. Just did. No luck. Still the same small, unusable size. The only differences were: a) the Tone 12 splash screen and b) the cursor did change to the double-ended arrow for resizing windows, but didn't have any effect.

Edited by John Maar

9 hours ago, John Maar said:

Thanks for the idea. I already had theย NanoHost executable, but hadn't thoughtย of trying it. Just did. No luck. Still the same small, unusable size. The only differences were: a) the Tone 12 splash screen and b) the cursor did change to the double-ended arrow for resizing windows, but didn't have any effect.

Well you are using the VST2 version in NanoHost. You earlier had said the VST2 worked OK? In what host?

Regarding the double-ended arrow in the lower right corner of NanoHost, try hovering the cursor over it until it shows a cross icon, before click-dragging to re-scale. It works here on 1920x1200 HD.

You can also re-scale the SynthMaster skin by right-clicking in the GUI, and selecting "Change global skin", and then NanoHost should adapt to the new plugin scale.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

You can also re-scale the SynthMaster skin by right-clicking in the GUI, and selecting "Change global skin"...

jsV2g8x.jpg

That worked without needing NanoHost. Sheesh. I'm an engineer by education. I tend to make simple things much more difficult than they need to be. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, chris.r said:

Is this update worthwhile for Windows users?

TLDR: The following new features are in the Windows version:

New Skins: All SynthMaster 2 iOS skins are now working inside SynthMaster 2. That adds 4 new skins to SynthMaster 2. SynthMaster Player's skins are updated as well, they're now in line with SynthMaster.

Keyboard and Velocity Zones: Each layer in SynthMaster 2 has now its own keyboard and velocity zones, letting the users to play different layers on different keyboard/velocity ranges.

Pitch Quantization using Scales: The pitches of Oscillators or Modulators can now be quantized using a user selected scale. This lets the pitch to stay in tune within that specific scale.

Larger Popup Windows for Arps, Sequencers and Multisegmented Envelopes: Due to the small areas allocated for Arps, Sequencers or Multisegmented Envelopes, editing those modules were challenging at times. With the introduction of popup windows, users can now press the zoom button to bring up the larger edit window(s) which take up the entire plugin window.

• Thanks 2

On 11/6/2021 at 10:50 AM, paulo said:

You could always ask Larry to post what's included in theย update

ย 

Oh wait.....

ย 

๐Ÿ˜€

Yeah I see he's posted some details... too bad he forgot to mention "Kontakt not required"!ย ๐Ÿ˜†

• Haha 2