Exported tracks all have project length??

kzmaier

I'm exporting tracks of different lengths but do not want added silence on shorter tracks.   I want the export length to match the clip length of each track.  Each track is one clip.

Say I am finishing a CD and want to cut all the songs.

Is this possible with the new export tool?

Thanks in advance, I did a search and didn't see this question.

Ken

55 minutes ago, kzmaier said:

I'm exporting tracks of different lengths but do not want added silence on shorter tracks.   I want the export length to match the clip length of each track.  Each track is one clip.

Say I am finishing a CD and want to cut all the songs.

Is this possible with the new export tool?

Thanks in advance, I did a search and didn't see this question.

Ken

You could always do this.

Select source category tracks. Make sure that you have nothing selected and export the full project. It should automatically size the export of the tracks based on their length.

Fully described in the release notes as well.

A note about selection and the Tracks export category: When the source category is Tracks, the project selection has a special meaning:

Having a project selection means there is also a time selection. So if you have tracks selected in your project selection, then all the tracks chosen in your audio source will be exported at exactly the length of the selection. In other words, the length of each tracks’ audio file will be the same.

If you have nothing selected in your project, then no specific export time range has been set, and the length of each tracks’ audio file will be the length of each individual track.

So is this using Select None?
Funny as that used to be my habit in the past prior to whenever it was the Export widget was added. After that export always worked perfectly with out fuss. 

Glad I read this as I’ve been recording my narration for my tutorials in 20 to 50 second  takes.  I end up with 14 to 20 tracks all different lengths. These then match up to the screen capture segments. Gives me time to set up for the next  scene. 

A big thumbs up to the new Export Dialogue. 
I was impressed with how easy it was to export these into a nice folder all numbered correctly. I actually expected them to all be as long as the longest track. Good to know I can fix that  Thanks. 

Thanks to all!

I was hitting the wall last night, long Monday.  I will try this again tonight!!

"Select source category tracks. Make sure that you have nothing selected and export the full project. It should automatically size the export of the tracks based on their length."

21 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You could always do this.

Select source category tracks. Make sure that you have nothing selected and export the full project. It should automatically size the export of the tracks based on their length.

Fully described in the release notes as well.

A note about selection and the Tracks export category: When the source category is Tracks, the project selection has a special meaning:

Having a project selection means there is also a time selection. So if you have tracks selected in your project selection, then all the tracks chosen in your audio source will be exported at exactly the length of the selection. In other words, the length of each tracks’ audio file will be the same.

If you have nothing selected in your project, then no specific export time range has been set, and the length of each tracks’ audio file will be the length of each individual track.

Wow, that's new for me too! Thanks -

Well it didn’t work for me because I have to select the tracks thru mix as I need them to have gone through the master buss. I used Select None and the tracks are all the same length still. Not a problem for this project but disappointing if I was wanting to actually do an album assembly. 

I like the new export dialogue but it doesn’t seem to do much more than the old one for me. 
 And the fact that there is no MP3 settings must suck for some people. 

I could only get the export length to match track/clip length using the clip export.  If this can be done with track export, can someone provide a screen shot with the new export dialog settings.  Thanks. 

I do like the track export because it puts the track info in the mp3 id3 info.

I don’t see a way. With all the track export settings you get the longest track for all. Seems only clips could be used but what is the point of that? If I want a clip I can drag it from the audio folder. 
They hopefully will put a little more work into this one. 
As the tracks export they are soloed so it doesn’t seem a stretch of programming to me that it could automatically detect the end of the track and move on. 
I could see that all tracks involved would need to be bounced so there’s no breaks and spaces in them.
But I could live with that because mostly I’m thinking that if this did work properly you could easily assemble an album of songs in a dedicated project set up for final mastering. I tried it once but I still had to trim the endings of all the songs in a wave editor. 

15 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I don’t see a way. With all the track export settings you get the longest track for all. Seems only clips could be used but what is the point of that? If I want a clip I can drag it from the audio folder. 
They hopefully will put a little more work into this one. 
As the tracks export they are soloed so it doesn’t seem a stretch of programming to me that it could automatically detect the end of the track and move on. 
I could see that all tracks involved would need to be bounced so there’s no breaks and spaces in them.
But I could live with that because mostly I’m thinking that if this did work properly you could easily assemble an album of songs in a dedicated project set up for final mastering. I tried it once but I still had to trim the endings of all the songs in a wave editor. 

The "Tracks" category is different from the "Tracks through entire mix" category.

It's only the Tracks category that detects the individual track length when there's no selection.

• 2 weeks later...

In the latest update they seem to have fixed this issue and it works great. In the past these tracks would all have been 31 sec. Now they are correct. This is a export using Tracks Through entire mix. So they have all passed through my limiter on the master buss etc. This was just simple narration dialogue but this can now  be used to master an entire album of songs. For me this will change an important workflow and I can almost kiss Wave Lab and it's stupid dongle good bye. 

Screenshot (226).png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1