Is there a way to launch clips from a midi controller in Cakewalk?

I'm not interested in Ableton, but I was curious if in Cakewalk there is any way to launch a pre-recorded performance/clip from a midi controller like Ableton can? I suppose it can be done w/ Kontakt but I don't know if it'd be in sync the same way and anyway that's Kontakt. Is there a way to do this in Cakewalk somehow? 

9 hours ago, scook said:

Not sure if it's probably beyond the scope of this thread, since the OP only asked about launching clips in Cakewalk, but speaking about Matrix View, I wish it gets more development, so we can record audio/midi directly into cells, instead of recording in the Track View and then importing the clips into the Matrix View. 

I've read in other threads (and other forums) that a lot of people have been requesting this feature/ enhancement in Cakewalk for a long time now. 

Matrix View is great and has a lot of potential.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Jones said:

Do a lot of people use Matrix View? What would be the use for it outside of live performance? In the video he says to maybe try things out in a different order but other than that who's using it and what for?

Besides for live performance, it could be used as a tool for playing around with  different arrangements, patterns, etc. Then when you like a particular arrangement, you could record it directly into the Track View in a linear way. :)

Bingo.  A lot of the emphasis of the matrix is arrangement, not performance.  Hopefully bandlab will find the time to integrate it more into a performance tool, tho ableton  has that wrapped up like pro tools is the standard for daws.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Although not a particularly glamorous application, you can also use the Matrix View as a "parking place" for clips, alternate takes, and the like.

That's cool. Is it somehow better than using take lanes for the same thing? 

42 minutes ago, Chris Jones said:

That's cool. Is it somehow better than using take lanes for the same thing? 

Not really, since you cannot record directly into matrix.But It is useful for playing back clips in a "non-linear" fashion. Mainly for arranging.

And to your earlier question, I don't think a lot of people use it, even though ts has a lot of potential. I think that for those who mainly need the non-linear workflow, Ableton Live is king of the hill.

Edited by abacab

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

Not really, since you cannot record directly into matrix.But It is useful for playing back clips in a "non-linear" fashion. Mainly for arranging.

Well that's about all I'd ask from it anyway except for maybe the ability to record into it, but even then I'd still prefer to record in the track view w/ all its editing tools and visibility.