Bye bye SSD's

cclarry

Hmmm....

I remember when CD's were touted as unscratchable and that they would play no matter what you did to them - yes you could throw them around, get them wet, even use them as coasters for your hot beverage and they would always still be fine.......

I may have bought a few over the years that were probably better used as a coaster, but that's a different story.......

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, paulo said:

Hmmm....

I remember when CD's were touted as unscratchable and that they would play no matter what you did to them - yes you could throw them around, get them wet, even use them as coasters for your hot beverage and they would always still be fine.......

I may have bought a few over the years that were probably better used as a coaster, but that's a different story.......

It's a funny thing - I could swear I remember Tomorrow's World spreading jam on a cd to show its durability - seems I'm not alone is misremembering that:

https://www.orchardoo.com/TWCompactDisc.htm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cclarry said:

As previously commented CDs were touted as permanent storage.

1 hour ago, Paul_in_wales said:

It's a funny thing - I could swear I remember Tomorrow's World spreading jam on a cd to show its durability - seems I'm not alone is misremembering that:

https://www.orchardoo.com/TWCompactDisc.htm

I've had more than one system jam on boot up because of a CD in the drive...

If it ever hits the market it'll cost a fortune until they're selling enough to cover initial production costs.
Still interest tech...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Request. Please, whenever you post  a deal, make sure the product doesn't require having a microscope and polarizer!!!

Seeing that article makes me wonder what kind of technology may be here already we aren't aware of. Something like this that has been lost in some Egyptian pyramid or Incan temple. You never know. Imagine the Great Pyramids being some form of magnetic based recorded library we haven't learned how to play back yet.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

Imagine the Great Pyramids being some form of magnetic based recorded library we haven't learned how to play back yet.

That would be cool! Coming next - bx_pyramid, a saturation plugin that emulates the sweet sound of pyramid recording. An amazingly warm sound painstakingly recreated by brainworx engineers that went on location to the measure the unique qualities of this gear. The selector knob will let you choose between Khufu, Khafre and Menkaure response curves. Get that 2594 b.c. vibe in your music!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Waiting

2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Request. Please, whenever you post  a deal, make sure the product doesn't require having a microscope and polarizer!!!

Wait until Apple goes in the party , you will need to do it in the full moon only the 15th of march ... lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

The selector knob will let you choose between Khufu, Khafre and Menkaure response curves. Get that 2594 b.c. vibe in your music!

It would surprise me to learn that someone hasn't already gone into the chambers and made impulses.

Also: anyone remember Bubble Memory? That was supposed to revolutionize everything, replace hard drives and RAM all in one.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul_in_wales said:

It's a funny thing - I could swear I remember Tomorrow's World spreading jam on a cd to show its durability

I don't remember that, but it's a funny kind of test to come up with..... did anyone ever spread jam on their LP's before playing them ? Did the jam degrade the vinyl in any way ? Surely we need comparative figures if we're trying to show that the new format is better ?

I guess it must have been inspired by a friend's kid that once fed several half eaten soggy biscuits to my VCR  before anyone thought it might be an idea to intervene. Apparently, not finding this "adorable" meant that I was a grumpy git.😑

• Haha 1