License question

Diego Sebastián García

Question

8 answers to this question

The above is correct, there is no transfer of licenses with Cakewalk products but why bother Bandlab is better than Sonar ever was.

And Bandlab is free.

Sonar Platinum runs on an online authorization using Cakewalk Command center, He would need your Privy details and your Cakewalk Account. this would give him access to all your Privy data along with all your Cakewalk Products. With Sonar kind of a thing of the past now, I would strongly suggest Bandlab. its the same DAW. Minus a few plug ins.

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Not permitted by whom?

Which entity enforces this agreement?

Not permitted under the terms of the licensing agreement. You can certainly install and run software without a valid license. Will anyone stop you or investigate you or punish you? Probably not. With SONAR there is the issue with activation, so you would need to transfer or share sufficient access to your account to let someone else get it activated. So it is certainly possible to let someone else use your copy of the software, but in any case you are not transferring your license, since that is not permitted, and the new user will not have a licensed copy even if he has a usable copy. 

FYI just because it's in a EULA doesn't mean it's legally binding - in the EU license transfers/resell are permitted no matter what the EULA says - i know this isn't the case in the USA, but in the EU it is - so if the end user is EU-based they are allowed to sell or transfer the license

Agreed.

I am pretty USA-centric, and probably should have been more cosmopolitan in my comments. So there is just the activation issue. I think that to do this transfer in the past, you needed to contact Cakewalk support to make the arrangements to set up a new account for the new user. I doubt that is still an option.