Recent updates causing Audio dropouts / engine stopped Please help!

Misha

• 2 months later...

I too have been having some really weird issues with the sound engine randomly quitting, crashing my recording session. There are intermittent crackling like there is clipping in the track, when recording and then in playback. Like some sort of system overload or something. I'm on HP,  16gig, Window 10, PC, laptop. I really like Cakewalk, easy to use not much of a learning curve. I have lost so much time trying to figure out and trouble shoot this issue...

I should have just bought another mac and stuck to ProTools!  Good thing, I have a mac as a backup. Never been an issue there. :0

• 1 month later...

I ran Latency Monitor  as recommended by @slartabartfast  and it states unequivocally that my system is not suitable for real-time audio. In red. NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver has a unacceptably long execution time. Updated the driver (the new one is only a few days old) but it didn't help at all. 

The problem is not there until I run Cakewalk. Don't know if that is because only Cakewalk is accessing the driver. Or it could mean that there is a problem with the latest Cakewalk update. Or it could be a Windows update problem.

New info: Not Cakewalk. Left Latency Monitor running for a while with Cakewalk not running and the latency problem slowly gets worse and worse.

Edited by Nigel Mackay
New info

• 6 months later...

Hi I know this post is old as I was having same issues, windows 10.   32 GB ram, 3 GHZ CPU.  I was writing and reading from a secondary internal HD, not my C - boot drive.  All was good, until one day I started getting audio engine shutdown with error code 5.  I tried everything you did, no go.  All my HD's checked out fine in windows.  PS I tried changing where my projects were located and discovered that if I ran, or recorded a project, anywhere but the current drive all was good.  I copied all my project data to a different drive and all has been great...