High Rise (instrumental/cover) - no longer work in progress

Xoo

Many years ago, when I was a wee nipper(!), I played in a Hawkwind tribute band.  One of the songs we played was High Rise (based on J G Ballard's book).  I recently decided I'd re-work it, taking the backing we recorded as the tribute band, and putting some guitar solo over it (I've pretty much not picked up my guitar for a couple of years - lockdowns, small child, work... - so wanted to get back into playing with a song I know really well, and I needed to start using some guitar amp sims as I don't have room any more for my guitar rack!).

I'm aiming for a Dave Gilmour-esque feel using TH3 (just updated to TH-U but I haven't used it in anger yet).

It's very much a work in progress at the moment - the solo was a one-take improvisation, and I know there's at least one duff note in there, with a minimal amount of topping and tailing in CbB.  I plan to re-record when I have some more time, but I'm after any feedback around style, feel etc at the moment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qe5ehml81bm5fqw/High Rise (Instrumental).mp3?dl=1

TIA

• Like 1

@Kevin Perry I was introduced to Hawkwind in a darkened but hazy blue smoky room, the day after they released their first album Hawkwind. I loved it. the next couple of albums were OK but I then think they lost their way a little.  I did get to see them perform the Space Ritual twice complete with Stacia.   

I do not recognise this track but the playing sounds fine, though I am wondering if the reverb is making it a little muffled, but then Mr Brock did like a some reverb.

Thank you for sharing, nice little piece of space rock on a Wednesday afternoon. :) 

• Like 1

Kevin , Good move picking that guitar back up , Great playing ! I think you captured the Gilmour feel nicely. I'd be interested to know how you got that sound from TH3 ..  The you tube version was a lot better , I think the guitar is still getting buried a little by the synth.  Great song and playing , enjoyed it ..   mark

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:26 PM, mark skinner said:

Kevin , Good move picking that guitar back up , Great playing ! I think you captured the Gilmour feel nicely. I'd be interested to know how you got that sound from TH3 ..  The you tube version was a lot better , I think the guitar is still getting buried a little by the synth.  Great song and playing , enjoyed it ..   mark

High Rise.vstpreset

Thanks Mark - I'm always wary of over-cooking the guitar and making it *too* prominent.  I've tweaked a little since then and scooped out some mid from the synths to hopefully sit the guitar a little better without making it too dominant (not sure I've uploaded that version though!).

I've attached the preset for the (VST3) version of TH3: it's the "freebie" version that came with one of the last SONARs (I've since upgraded to TH-U - Overloud get a big thumbs up from me for helping me upgrade years after SONAR became defunct...great support!).

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 3:16 PM, jack c. said:

lead guitar needs some bottom taken off and a tad more highs.bring up kick drum.fine work.jack c.

Thanks - I did wonder about the bottom end, and have cut quite a bit already (24dB high pass at about 170Hz) and boosted the top a bit, but as I said to Mark above, I'm not sure if I've posted that version yet.

The drum tracks are something of a pain to work with - they were recorded at a god-awful studio by a god-awful engineer years ago, and there is more spill than at a baby's tea party.  I might try using something like a PulTech emulator to emphasise it without doing too much damage to the rest of the drums.

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of feedback from various people (and some reluctance on my part to leave well-alone!), I think I'm pleased to say it's now finished!  The same dropbox URL will get the mp3 (I haven't updated the YT video as I have to start from scratch with a new video entirely - I can see why YT don't allow changing a video, but it's a PITA).

• Xoo changed the title to High Rise (instrumental/cover) - no longer work in progress