ODeus ASIO Link now available free

msmcleod

10 hours ago, MediaGary said:

Wow, thanks for that tip!  

Because my test machine had been used for *many* tests along the way, I had to un-install the ASIO drivers for the Klark-Teknik KT-USB, Midas MR18, Dante Via, and the Echo Pre8 before starting to get some forward momentum. 

Glad it could help in some way.

Try to clear your machine's "registry" from all Asio files too -- including Asio4All. Make sure there's no traces of them and reinstall ODeus Asio link - perhaps that will create some sort of improvement (Usually the case.)  

I'm curious to know what affect the network speed might have on this? Different locations, different signal. My city had heavy thunder and lighting rain storms 3 days ago, and it interfered with my 5G connection - slowing it down a bit. One of the reasons I'm hesitant trying this out. 

I'm not sure uninstalling ASIO drivers is necessary, or even desirable unless you're having issues... but in saying that, you should definitely uninstall ASIO4ALL, and any other "generic" ASIO drivers such as Steinberg's or Reaper's.

ASIOLink normally requires your existing ASIO driver to be there in order for it to use ASIO for your primary interface. All other interfaces are then connected via WDM.

I noticed zero difference in latency between my Focusrite ASIO driver and ASIOLink... but that was only because ASIOLink was essentially passing calls directly through to the Focusrite ASIO driver. If I had uninstalled my Focusrite ASIO drivers and let ASIOLink only use WDM, the latency would have been much worse.

41 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

definitely uninstall ASIO4ALL, and any other "generic" ASIO drivers such as Steinberg's or Reaper's.

ASIOLink normally requires your existing ASIO driver to be there in order for it to use ASIO for your primary interface. All other interfaces are then connected via WDM.

Yeah. That makes more sense. Like I said, I'm not using this, so I'm not familiar with it - just happen to over heard another team figuring this out, on a visit to a friends label and newly build studio. 

Perhaps @MediaGary can try this again with one Primary Interface Asio Drivers?

Thanks to @msmcleod and to  @Will_Kaydo for your interest in this topic. I may have to draw a proper picture of my network connectivity, but the Echo Pre8 and the RME 9652 are in separate machines across a 10GbE network, so I don't get the benefit of a loopback/in-computer timing.

RME 9652 PCI-----Computer1-----10GbitEthernet-----Computer2-----FireWire----Echo Pre8

The 10Gbit cards are Solarflare 5122F's that have fiber optic links through a MikroTik [CRS309-1G-8S+IN] LAN switch. Solarflare cards have sophisticated drivers with TCP/IP Offload capabilities. That may or may not contribute to what I'm seeing here.  Computer1 and Computer2 are both HP Z220 workstation computers.  Comp1 has an 8GB i5-3470 and its primary job is as a server.  Comp2 is a 16GB i7-3770 whose primary job is as an Administration machine. 

Those two machines are participating and showing the 12-millisecond arrival difference between the Firewire and ASIO Link network signals.

The picture attached below is the topology of the two studio computers when the MADI and ADAT connections  were merged via the RME driver in the AMD/Win10 computer that's in the lower left side of the  diagram.  This combination achieved a 0.4-millisecond difference. The computer in the lower right is a 2010 Mac Pro now running Catalina.  Since that diagram, I'm temporarily running the M32 via good old USB 2.0. 

The fact that ASIO Link Pro works at all may be enough, since the network-sourced audio inputs at best would be supplemental for experimental.  However, if The function of ASIO Link Pro and AudioGridder ever showed up within the same product, like a poor-man's point-to-point Dante with the added sophistication of horizontal/remote VST processing, that would be a game-changing event in audio studio solutions.  [hint, hint]

TedLand-Topology-20200620B.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I came across ASIO link a while back and really was wondering how do i get networking side to work, I am running a 3 pc streaming setup, i have followed a YouTube tutorial but its saying i need to open ports on the actual router which i find weird since its all local 

On 4/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, The Mdog Show said:

I came across ASIO link a while back and really was wondering how do i get networking side to work, I am running a 3 pc streaming setup, i have followed a YouTube tutorial but its saying i need to open ports on the actual router which i find weird since its all local 

You don't need to for local. But you may (or may not, it depends) need to do that on the windows firewall on each computer and make sure to disable "AP Isolation" in the router if you are connecting them through wifi.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope everyone is doing well.

I have run into an issue using ASIOLink and I have become somewhat frustrated in missing something very obvious that I am just not seeing.

I have a Scarlett 4i4 and want to be able to use Cakewalk as I normally would and send it's audio to DISCORD and be able to monitor the audio from both Cakewalk and Discord without causing an audio feedback loop. I am just having the hardest time understanding how to set up the mix racks.

Thanks for any suggestions or assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

So here is a quick pic of what I have been staring at most of the afternoon ;^)

On the Left is the ASIO Link Application and on the RIGHT is ASIO Link Cakewalk view.
I am listening to a YouTube video that I can hear coming through the speakers
I also see where Cakewalk is trying to send its audio on MIX 5 and 6

The biggest problem is that I do not know for the life of me how to get the Cakewalk 5 and 6 audio to go to the Speaker output.
I know it is probably right there under my nose but I am not seeing it. I do have the cables disconnected as I was trying various things before taking the screenshot.

Thanks again,

MWpoDNw.png

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 1:24 AM, Simeon Amburgey said:

So here is a quick pic of what I have been staring at most of the afternoon ;^)

On the Left is the ASIO Link Application and on the RIGHT is ASIO Link Cakewalk view.
I am listening to a YouTube video that I can hear coming through the speakers
I also see where Cakewalk is trying to send its audio on MIX 5 and 6

The biggest problem is that I do not know for the life of me how to get the Cakewalk 5 and 6 audio to go to the Speaker output.
I know it is probably right there under my nose but I am not seeing it. I do have the cables disconnected as I was trying various things before taking the screenshot.

Thanks again,

MWpoDNw.png

Enable LOOPER loopback racks on the ASIO Link Pro Tool. Then you can connect your ASIO host in mix channels to the LOOPER Outs, and the LOOPER Ins to your ASIO Driver Out 1, 2

... or just modify the Output device of the track/instrument sending its data to channel 5, 6 to  channel 1, 2?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, István Máté said:

Enable LOOPER loopback racks on the ASIO Link Pro Tool. Then you can connect your ASIO host in mix channels to the LOOPER Outs, and the LOOPER Ins to your ASIO Driver Out 1, 2

... or just modify the Output device of the track/instrument sending its data to channel 5, 6 to  channel 1, 2?

Thanks so much.
I guess it is confusing how the inputs and output flow is represented, it feels like the exact opposite of what you would expect. I will give it another go and see what happens. 
All the best!

On 4/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, The Mdog Show said:

Hi there. 

I remembered you were asking for help because you weren't able to get it working. As I didn't tamper with the feature myself (I didn't need it back then) I replied to you with generic computer network related stuff.

Finally I had the opportunity to use it today and what my surprise was, as I wasn't able either to get it working. I realized by the ASIO Link Pro control panel messages that it was able to connect locally within the same computer using 127.0.0.1. So the feature was actually working. But the moment I tried to use another computer's IP from the same network the message shown was "cannot bind". Knowing a bit about networking I think this means that for some reason the software was not able to recognize the network card where the local network IP is bind to and therefor it can't "attach" to the local network stream.

Well, thing is that knowing it was working for 127.0.0.1 I decided to use 0.0.0.0 in "network in" as I know it is a not bind address that means to listen from all network devices instead of just a specific one. And not needing to bind my surprise is that it totally worked. So I assume this will fix too the problem you were having.

So for it to work follow the next steps:

1 - In the receiving PC configure "network in" using 0.0.0.0 as IP, make the proper channel connections (this is mandatory before activating) and then just make the activate button green.

2 - Go to the sender PC and configure "network out" using the local network IP the receiving PC has. Then properly connect the channels too. And then just click the activate button.

And Voila. You should have it working.

Edited by Jeslan

On 6/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, István Máté said:

Tried to get 2 different PCs send network audio to a receiving PC without success. I want to receive channel 1 and 2 sent from one PC together with channels 3-16 sent from another PC and route them to the SQ5 through USB. Is this possible, am I missing something?

Were you able at least to send and receive audio from 1 PC to another ? If not, did you check the previous message I posted ? The steps must be followed in the exact order or it won't work. You first need to assign the right IPs (0.0.0.0 on the receiving one), then network channels routing and after that activate network audio button.

Edit: Almost forgot, enable first the listening PC and after the sending ones.

Edited by Jeslan

On 6/11/2021 at 4:45 PM, Jeslan said:

Were you able at least to send and receive audio from 1 PC to another ? If not, did you check the previous message I posted ? The steps must be followed in the exact order or it won't work. You first need to assign the right IPs (0.0.0.0 on the receiving one), then network channels routing and after that activate network audio button.

Edit: Almost forgot, enable first the listening PC and after the sending ones.

1 to 1 works flawlessly, using it to save on analog inputs on an SQ5. However until Dante arrives, it would offer a perfect opportunity to finally relieve the one workhorse PC and take some of its roles to a another PC on the network in another location...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, István Máté said:

1 to 1 works flawlessly

Have you enabled the second network on the ASIO Link Pro Tool control panel ? From my understanding each network is only going to work for 1 to 1 PC. So you need two use the primary one for one PC and enable and use the second one for the other PC.

I think that maybe it's also possible to run several instances of ASIO Link Pro in the receiving PC assigning manually  different network ports for each one. But that would imply more work, configuration and test and it's not sure it would actually work. So the best and easier approach is like I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Edited by Jeslan

• 1 year later...

I installed ASIO Link Pro today and it seems to be working okay (I can still hear my audio using their driver) although I haven't tested it yet with Zoom which is why I originally installed it.

It's now the Audio Driver in Cakewalk and my usual ASIO option is grayed out.  I don't see an exit or disable option in their utility to turn it on or off.  I only want to use it when I use Zoom and would like to only have it take over as my Audio Driver in Cakewalk when I want it to.

I can uninstall it of course but am i missing something easy here?

15 minutes ago, Sven said:

I installed ASIO Link Pro today and it seems to be working okay (I can still hear my audio using their driver) although I haven't tested it yet with Zoom which is why I originally installed it.

It's now the Audio Driver in Cakewalk and my usual ASIO option is grayed out.  I don't see an exit or disable option in their utility to turn it on or off.  I only want to use it when I use Zoom and would like to only have it take over as my Audio Driver in Cakewalk when I want it to.

I can uninstall it of course but am i missing something easy here?

You can only use ports from one ASIO driver at a time.

In order to change ASIO device, you need to uncheck all of your existing ASIO ports first.  You'll then be able to choose another ASIO device.

It's a bit time consuming to un-check so many boxes.  I was hoping there was a simpler way to just turn ASIO utility on or off or at least use the Windows Task Manager to kill the service.  

While I've got you on the phone, I have tried it on both my older  Win 7 machine (slow but decent) and my newer Win 10 machine (very, very fast  CPU with 3 SSD drives) and both appear to have the audio drop out from time to time just playing my usual song in Cakewalk. 

This is just an observation before even introducing a Zoom session into the equation.  Are there any latency issues I should be addressing when using this utility?   Other settings to consider?  Things work fine with this song using the normal ASIO drivers in Cakewalk.  The problem seems to start when I re-route ASIO through this utility.

Thanks.

In  answer to my own question above I would recommend people look at the video at their download site.  It's imperative to download and install both patches and do it correctly.  The video is a bit lengthy but you learn what's needed.  The guys kind of funny also.

To summarize what you need to do, download and install the ASIO utility, and also download and copy both the 32 bit (even if you're using a 64 bit system) and 64 bit versions of the patch to:

image.png.11c680c740fe094b9685ec195d5a6ef0.png

Run both versions of the patch utility in that folder then copy and run the 64 bit version of that patch in the x64 folder one level down.

That should apply the patches so that it doesn't think it's an unregistered copy anymore.  The dropout I described above is a 'feature' for unregistered users.

You can look at the About Box and see that your version is now patched in the upper left section of the about window.  Simply start the utility and choose your audio device and you should be all set.

But...

I did the above today and it worked fine with my Windows 10 machine.  When I did the exact same procedure on my older Win 7 machine I now get the following message in Cakewalk:

image.png.a0cdbd6f052db902eb300303601d11fd.png

If anyone knows the reason for this or the solution to fixing this problem please let me know.   My current project has a 44.1/24 bit rate.  Could  that be the problem?

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but I really struggled to try and get the AsioLink software to work properly and it seemed to arbitrarily reset to configurations that were detrimental to my workflow. 

I now use FlexASIO instead and it is rock solid for using simultaneous streams, but it isn't a routing solution if you are trying to pass an input to an output.