msmcleod

ODeus ASIO Link now available free

10 hours ago, MediaGary said:

Wow, thanks for that tip!  

Because my test machine had been used for *many* tests along the way, I had to un-install the ASIO drivers for the Klark-Teknik KT-USB, Midas MR18, Dante Via, and the Echo Pre8 before starting to get some forward momentum. 

Glad it could help in some way.

Try to clear your machine's "registry" from all Asio files too -- including Asio4All. Make sure there's no traces of them and reinstall ODeus Asio link - perhaps that will create some sort of improvement (Usually the case.)  

I'm curious to know what affect the network speed might have on this? Different locations, different signal. My city had heavy thunder and lighting rain storms 3 days ago, and it interfered with my 5G connection - slowing it down a bit. One of the reasons I'm hesitant trying this out. 

I'm not sure uninstalling ASIO drivers is necessary, or even desirable unless you're having issues... but in saying that, you should definitely uninstall ASIO4ALL, and any other "generic" ASIO drivers such as Steinberg's or Reaper's.

ASIOLink normally requires your existing ASIO driver to be there in order for it to use ASIO for your primary interface. All other interfaces are then connected via WDM.

I noticed zero difference in latency between my Focusrite ASIO driver and ASIOLink... but that was only because ASIOLink was essentially passing calls directly through to the Focusrite ASIO driver. If I had uninstalled my Focusrite ASIO drivers and let ASIOLink only use WDM, the latency would have been much worse.

41 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

definitely uninstall ASIO4ALL, and any other "generic" ASIO drivers such as Steinberg's or Reaper's.

ASIOLink normally requires your existing ASIO driver to be there in order for it to use ASIO for your primary interface. All other interfaces are then connected via WDM.

Yeah. That makes more sense. Like I said, I'm not using this, so I'm not familiar with it - just happen to over heard another team figuring this out, on a visit to a friends label and newly build studio. 

Perhaps @MediaGary can try this again with one Primary Interface Asio Drivers?

Thanks to @msmcleod and to  @Will_Kaydo for your interest in this topic. I may have to draw a proper picture of my network connectivity, but the Echo Pre8 and the RME 9652 are in separate machines across a 10GbE network, so I don't get the benefit of a loopback/in-computer timing.

RME 9652 PCI-----Computer1-----10GbitEthernet-----Computer2-----FireWire----Echo Pre8

The 10Gbit cards are Solarflare 5122F's that have fiber optic links through a MikroTik [CRS309-1G-8S+IN] LAN switch. Solarflare cards have sophisticated drivers with TCP/IP Offload capabilities. That may or may not contribute to what I'm seeing here.  Computer1 and Computer2 are both HP Z220 workstation computers.  Comp1 has an 8GB i5-3470 and its primary job is as a server.  Comp2 is a 16GB i7-3770 whose primary job is as an Administration machine. 

Those two machines are participating and showing the 12-millisecond arrival difference between the Firewire and ASIO Link network signals.

The picture attached below is the topology of the two studio computers when the MADI and ADAT connections  were merged via the RME driver in the AMD/Win10 computer that's in the lower left side of the  diagram.  This combination achieved a 0.4-millisecond difference. The computer in the lower right is a 2010 Mac Pro now running Catalina.  Since that diagram, I'm temporarily running the M32 via good old USB 2.0. 

The fact that ASIO Link Pro works at all may be enough, since the network-sourced audio inputs at best would be supplemental for experimental.  However, if The function of ASIO Link Pro and AudioGridder ever showed up within the same product, like a poor-man's point-to-point Dante with the added sophistication of horizontal/remote VST processing, that would be a game-changing event in audio studio solutions.  [hint, hint]

TedLand-Topology-20200620B.jpg

• Like 1