ODeus ASIO Link now available free

msmcleod

1 hour ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I'm using a first gen Scarlett as well. It seems to be getting worse lately... I hate how hard it is to verify. Is it software, drivers, DAW, OS? Who knows .. lol

I have used my Focusrite 4i4 3rd gen with ODeus and it seems to have worked alright. My recent frustration is with trying to use the 4i4 with VB Audio Voicemeeter. Voicemeeter is very strict as to how it handles ASIO drivers and will not tolerate some ASIO driver, namely Focusrite. I have contacted Vincent who coded Voicemeeter and he confirms there are many issues with how the Focusrite drivers are written.

I tried using my PreSonus Studio 6|8 and things were a lot cleaner so I suspect it was indeed the Focusrite ASIO drivers. The 4i4 is a great interface but it seems to fall short in some specific use cases.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I'm using a first gen Scarlett as well. It seems to be getting worse lately... I hate how hard it is to verify. Is it software, drivers, DAW, OS? Who knows .. lol

Focusrite stopped making drivers for 1st generation products which caused all those issues for me. That's when I decided to get IK's Axe I/O. 

Since the guitar is my main instrument, the Axe was a world of a difference compared to the 2i4. No latency and talk about the tonal improvement...can highly recommend it for guitarists or bassists. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

I am trying to use OBS with my MOTU Ultralite MK 4 or RME Baby face or...
Is somebody successfully doing this? I want to broadcast through Cakewalk onto Facebook Live.

I have downloaded and installed ASIOLink Pro but don't see it showing up anywhere in my Cakewalk preference settings. I see ASIO, the name of my interface, and the ASIO panel to change the latency. What am I missing and is someone successfully streaming their DAW with OBS and Facebook, Youtube?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, RSMcGuitar said:

Same thing here. I'm using 2nd gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on a fresh Dell Inspiron 15 (i7, 16GB RAM, SSD...) on a fresh Windows 10 installation and it is freezing the playback every so often. Not even using DAW or anything. LatencyMon says I should "turn off CPU Throttling" on BIOS (my Dell doesn't seem to have this option)... Everything was alright a few months ago, I think something screwed up pretty badly somewhere.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 4:04 PM, Lucas P said:

Same thing here. I'm using 2nd gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on a fresh Dell Inspiron 15 (i7, 16GB RAM, SSD...) on a fresh Windows 10 installation and it is freezing the playback every so often. Not even using DAW or anything. LatencyMon says I should "turn off CPU Throttling" on BIOS (my Dell doesn't seem to have this option)... Everything was alright a few months ago, I think something screwed up pretty badly somewhere.

I used to have the same problem with an old m-audio, I passed it on to a mac user who has since had no problems with it.  The deal is simple.  The drivers need to be reinstalled and run in as if in win vista or 7.  The problems you are complaining of go back to a memory leak issue that windows 10 began with, that wasn't present in older versions.  Win8 also has the issue.  It's a memory locking that occurs to prevent datatheft.  Install the asio for your devices and the asio link in win7 mode, then make sure the apps only run in win7 mode.  They will still link with all win 10 apps, but they will use the older memory access modules that do not contain the watchdog.  I have had dropouts with new equipment as well, while using the link.  It was built for older memory access, and uses methods that today are often used by viruses to steal data and encrypt your system on the fly.  Install it in win 7 mode, then find any EXE's and set their compatibility to win 7 and run as admin.  Go to your antivirus and make sure you add the same exe's to the whitelisting, capable of accessing everything.  I had to do the same for some adobe software titles before they would function properly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 5:32 AM, msmcleod said:

I'm not sure if people are aware of this being available again... I've only just become aware of it myself.

@cclarry mentioned the product on the old forum back in 2015: http://forum.cakewalk.com/O-Deus-Audio-releases-ASIO-Link-Pro-v24-m3283843.aspx, however when I tried to purchase it about a year ago, I found that I couldn't because the original developer had sadly passed away... and now the original website has gone.

"This ASIO driver extends your audio interface ASIO driver and adds windows audio with no additional latency. It also allows you to use your ASIO driver from more than one application with the inbuilt multi-client support, and you can even send ASIO audio over the network.

The driver is great value for money for people who need to monitor or record from windows audio or just want to jam with their favourite tunes.

Features:

• Extremely high performance for Pro Audio apps.
  • Zero added ASIO latency.
  • 64 IN + 64 OUT virtual ASIO channels.
  • 32 IN + 32 OUT WDM audio channels.
  • 16 IN + 16 OUT network audio channels.
  • Multi-client mode means ASIO for up to 25 apps.
  • Works without internal WDM or ASIO audio resampling.
  • Record lossless 8 channel audio to FLAC file.
  • Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
  • Route audio to/from WDM/MME/DirectSound/WASAPI and LAN/NET."

This effectively allows you to use more than one ASIO interface at the same time in CbB (even ones on an external networked PC), allowing up to 64 input/output channels.  At the moment I've no idea how this affects latency, but I guess if it's lots of inputs you need then it's likely it's a whole band you're recording and this will be less of a concern. I can also see it being really useful for making tutorial videos.

The good news is, it now looks like the developer's nephew has authorised it to be released for free with a patch to remove the registration/authorisation:

https://give.academy/posts/2018/03/02/AsioLinkPro/

You can download it here:

https://give.academy/downloads/2018/03/03/ODeusASIOLinkPro/

I found the Original PDF document on the WayBack machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180318082455/https://o-deus-audio.com.au/ASIOLinkPro

DOCUMENTATION

Download the ASIO Link Technology pdf documentation.

• 4 months later...
On 5/14/2019 at 4:02 AM, msmcleod said:

So it looks like there is a way to get ASIOLink to combine more than one ASIO interface into one:

• Open one instance of ASIOLink, and set the ASIO driver to be your second ASIO interface, setting the output to Network (just use the local network IP) & enable network. 
  • Open a second instance of ASIOLink, set the ASIO driver to be your primary ASIO interface, set the output to ASIOLink's ASIO driver and enable network input using your local network IP.

Thanks for showing us the way on this.  I'm stumped right now:

I have ASIO Link Pro 2.4.4.2 running in two Win 10 (Home and Pro) computers in my "Test Lab" before I migrate to the Production Studio...

• Computer-A = ASIO Echo Audio Firewire (Echo Pre8) with ASIO Link Pro and CbB
  • Computer-B = ASIO RME HDSP 9652 clock source ADAT with ADAT-1 /ADAT-2 from two different Audient ASP800's.
  • AES/EBU master clock is from a Midas M32 to an Aardvark Sync DA that uses 3x BNC 75-ohm coax word-clock connections (2x ASP800 1x Echo Pre8)
  • Network is 10GbE Ethernet ; Computer-A=192.168.1.121  Computer-B=192.168.1.123

I have verified that I have 'Received Audio Data' on 'Network In' coming from Comp-B to Comp-A.  Network in a Comp-A is patched to 'ASIO Driver Out Mix' Signals from both the ASP800's and the Echo Pre8 show up as expected.  

When I start CbB the first error message is that 'Analog Out 1-2' is in use by another application.  The next error/problem message is that all of the 16 outputs of the Echo Pre8 are unavailable and muted.   Another problem is that within CbB 'Preferences>>Devices'  all the of Echo Pre8 check boxes work normally, but all the ASIO Link Pro check boxes for 'Input Drivers' and 'Output Drivers' are greyed out and inoperable.  

I can't shake that feeling that I've missed something obvious, so I'm appealing here for ideas and diagnostic directions to take. 

7 hours ago, MediaGary said:

Thanks for showing us the way on this.  I'm stumped right now:

I have ASIO Link Pro 2.4.4.2 running in two Win 10 (Home and Pro) computers in my "Test Lab" before I migrate to the Production Studio...

• Computer-A = ASIO Echo Audio Firewire (Echo Pre8) with ASIO Link Pro and CbB
  • Computer-B = ASIO RME HDSP 9652 clock source ADAT with ADAT-1 /ADAT-2 from two different Audient ASP800's.
  • AES/EBU master clock is from a Midas M32 to an Aardvark Sync DA that uses 3x BNC 75-ohm coax word-clock connections (2x ASP800 1x Echo Pre8)
  • Network is 10GbE Ethernet ; Computer-A=192.168.1.121  Computer-B=192.168.1.123

I have verified that I have 'Received Audio Data' on 'Network In' coming from Comp-B to Comp-A.  Network in a Comp-A is patched to 'ASIO Driver Out Mix' Signals from both the ASP800's and the Echo Pre8 show up as expected.  

When I start CbB the first error message is that 'Analog Out 1-2' is in use by another application.  The next error/problem message is that all of the 16 outputs of the Echo Pre8 are unavailable and muted.   Another problem is that within CbB 'Preferences>>Devices'  all the of Echo Pre8 check boxes work normally, but all the ASIO Link Pro check boxes for 'Input Drivers' and 'Output Drivers' are greyed out and inoperable.  

I can't shake that feeling that I've missed something obvious, so I'm appealing here for ideas and diagnostic directions to take. 

You need to uncheck all references of the Echo Pre 8 within CbB, and use the ASIO Link driver exclusively within CbB instead. 

You just need to make sure all the inputs / outputs are created & routed for all your devices within ASIO Link.  IIRC there is a limit of 64 inputs/outputs in all.

The last time I tried this, I noticed absolutely no difference in performance/latency using my Focusrite 6i6 going through the ASIO Link driver vs the native Focusrite driver.

I remember visiting a friend at a pro studio, where they had the same problem in the newly build control room of their Studio D -- can still hear the frustrations lol. 😂  They've finally figured it out - as I was listening in on the conversation.

For this to work successfully, you have to uninstall all previous instances of any Asio drivers installed on your machine.  Some hardware Asio drivers clash with this. 

I don't use this drivers. Just thought I'd  share some information that might help someone using this. 

Again - for this to work , uninstall all previous installed Asio drivers on your machine and only run this drivers. 

Will. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

This looks very interesting. Never knew it's existence until now. Thanks @msmcleod for sharing.

I am trying to understand if it can help me in one area. I have a Focusrite 2i2 as my main interface and I have a Boss GT-1 guitar multieffect  that also has a usb interface. Of course presently it's one or the other in Cakewalk. Could I use Odeus AsioLink and have the Boss GT-1 as an input and the Focusrite as the output?

Edited by Jacques Boileau

1 hour ago, Jacques Boileau said:

This looks very interesting. Never knew it's existence until now. Thanks @msmcleod for sharing.

I am trying to understand if it can help me in one area. I have a Focusrite 2i2 as my main interface and I have a Boss GT-1 guitar multieffect  that also has a usb interface. Of course presently it's one or the other in Cakewalk. Could I use Odeus AsioLink and have the Boss GT-1 as an input and the Focusrite as the output?

Does the GT-1 actually send audio over the USB ?   I'd be surprised if it does.

If it does send audio over USB  probably could, but I'd be tempted to just stick with using the GT-1 analog out -> 2i2 audio in.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Does the GT-1 actually send audio over the USB ?   I'd be surprised if it does.

If it does send audio over USB  probably could, but I'd be tempted to just stick with using the GT-1 analog out -> 2i2 audio in.

Yes, the GT-1 sends and receives audio through USB. I do presently run the analog out of the GT-1 through the 2i2 so that I can hear everything through my monitors which are connected to the 2i2. If I want to use the GT-1 digitally through its USB interface, then I must use the GT-1's headphone out for monitoring. I wish I could use the GT-1 as an input to Cakewalk and use the 2i2 as output. That is not possible presently. The idea of using the GT-1's USB interface is to eliminate analog conversions and getting the best signal possible. Being a world renowned guitarist picky guy, I always look at the best way to get my audio into Cakewalk. Might not make much of a difference, who knows...

Just remember, unless you've got something to sync the word clocks of multiple interfaces, expect some timing issues.

This can usually be done:

- by connecting the SPDIF out of one device (the timing master) to the SPDIF in of another, and making it the slave.
- by connecting the ADAT out of one device (the timing master) to the ADAT in of another, and making it the slave.
- by using a coax wordclock cable fed from one device to another, or from a master clock device to all of your devices.

If your audio interfaces have no way of doing this, you may need to nudge your audio clips a bit to line them up properly.

In saying that... they may be close enough for you not to notice... but pay attention to any phase issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2020 at 6:14 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

.... For this to work successfully, you have to uninstall all previous instances of any Asio drivers installed on your machine.  Some hardware Asio drivers clash with this.  ...

Wow, thanks for that tip!  

Because my test machine had been used for *many* tests along the way, I had to un-install the ASIO drivers for the Klark-Teknik KT-USB, Midas MR18, Dante Via, and the Echo Pre8 before starting to get some forward momentum. 

The initial testing over the network was ... uninspiring.  I managed a best case of a 12-millisecond difference (~576 samples) between the networked audio and the 'native' Echo Pre8 audio arriving in Cakewalk.  In comparison, when I had the Audient ADAT coming in the Cakewalk along with the MADI audio from the Midas M32, merged via the RME HDSP 9632 and RME MADI drivers, the difference was  around 0.4-milliseconds (~20 samples)

Since this is just an exercise in what is possible in networking with free products like AudioGridder, it's no big deal, but certainly reveals how much it'll take to eventually make this a production-friendly solution.

• Like 1