newbie needs help

George W. Logue

I'm new to cakewalk and struggling through YouTube beginners videos. I'm trying to record an electric guitar through a TASCAM US-144MKii.  I can see the levels on the track registering the guitar but I can't hear it. If I plug my headphones into the TASCAM headphones jack I can hear the guitar. I have selected  Input Echo = On 

I'm sure it's something simple but it's got me baffled. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, George W. Logue said:

I'm new to cakewalk and struggling through YouTube beginners videos. I'm trying to record an electric guitar through a TASCAM US-144MKii.  I can see the levels on the track registering the guitar but I can't hear it. If I plug my headphones into the TASCAM headphones jack I can hear the guitar. I have selected  Input Echo = On 

I'm sure it's something simple but it's got me baffled. Any ideas?

You have action in the track and can listen on the headphone output. Then you can record your play.

To listen to the recorded track you have to select Tascam as the output in the master track.

The monitormix knob should point to the computer position. The input position gives you the sound before it goes in to the computer.

Watch this video and then tell me if it still not working 

Problem might be the ASIO driver which is from 2014 has reached its end of life. But make sure you download and use it 

https://tascam.com/us/product/us-144mkii/download

You don’t want input echo on for recording audio especially with an interface that probably has 27 ms of latency 😬

Use the monitor mix control set at 12 o clock so it’s a blend of the computer and the input. This gives you the desired direct monitoring of your guitar with no latency. 
If you are trying to use amp sims forget it. You will need a better interface for that to work with out huge latency 

Edited by John Vere

59 minutes ago, George W. Logue said:

I plug the headphones into the laptop when using Cakewalk. No sound. 

That's because you have the TASCAM selected for input and output and using the ASIO driver, You must use the TASCAM for all sound output, using headphones or connecting the interface to an amplifier with speakers attached to it or powered speakers. 

1 hour ago, George W. Logue said:

I plug the headphones into the laptop when using Cakewalk. No sound.

That's wrong. Your interface is where sound goes into and comes out of the computer. Your headphones and/ or speakers need to be plugged in to the interface, not the laptop.

I guarantee that Tascam tells you that if you had bothered to look at the documentation.

^^^^ I wrongly assumed that you had plugged in your headphone to Tascam phone output. Please do that.

There's adapters to buy, making the little plug a bigger plug to fit the phono contact.

Edited by Kurre
Addition.

US144mk2_2.jpg

Are saying you only hear the hum when the guitar is plugged into the system? Is this a electric guitar? This could be a case of a bad cable or a pre amp miss match. Are you having to crank the pre amp on the Tascam way up? Are you using the guitar input and the guitar selection switch? 

Edited by John Vere