Jump to content
Morten Saether

[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.11 Early Access [Updated 27.11.0.010]

Recommended Posts

We're pleased to announce Early Access for 2021.11!

This is primarily a maintenance release that includes fixes for a few user reported issues. It also includes several optimizations and improvements to the behavior when using Track/Bus Solo, exclusive solo and solo override functionality, especially when used in more complex routing scenarios utilizing aux tracks and sidechains.

If you have encountered any of the cases listed below, please check out this release and and confirm that your issue is resolved before we release the official public version (most likely early next week). This release cycle will be very short so only regressions or severe bugs will be considered.

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2021.11 Early Access build, you must be on the latest public release of 2021.09. 

Download Cakewalk 2021.11 EA installer
 

Should you need to revert to the 2021.09 release, you can download the Cakewalk 2021.09 Rollback installer.

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.
Please keep responses specific to problems or comments on this release. Unrelated bugs or feature requests should be posted in other threads or the feature request channel.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

Updated to  27.11.0.010
This contains the following additional improvements:

  • Soloing a bus now includes any sidechain sends to plugins in tracks/buses 
  • Improvements to plugin silence flushing

 

Solo, Exclusive Solo and Solo Override improvements

The internals for track and bus solo have been greatly improved to handle more complex routing scenarios with tracks and buses routing or sending to aux tracks and side chains. Prior to this release there were scenarios where soloing intermediate tracks or buses would not solo all the parts of the signal flow.  Additionally, solo override now works consistently with aux tracks and tracks containing active sidechains. Dim solo has also been made aware of the solo override state and works consistently.
 

Issues Resolved in Cakewalk 2021.11 EA (build 27.11.0.010):

Solo:

  • Soloing a bus silences any sidechain sends to plugins in tracks/buses unless sending tracks are soloed
  • Switching exclusive solo between aux tracks can cause the solo state to get out of sync
  • Regression: Exclusive Solo Mode not working after unsoloing track
  • Regression: Exclusive Solo "solo override" fails to work properly
  • Solo Override does not behave as expected on Aux tracks or buses
  • Solo Override does not behave as expected with Dim Solo
  • Sidechain fails to trigger when soloing bus
  • Soloing buses without an input streams audio not sent to bus
  • Soloing a track with a send to an aux would not make the aux audible

Export:

  • Melodyne used as track effect hangs on export audio
  • Some Mix Enables check boxes too large for dialog
  • Duplicate filenames warning appears whenever using {taskname} tag
  • Export Audio dialog not clearing/restoring  exclusive solo / track solo override status
  • Export Audio: "Use same settings for all" option not appearing for "Tracks through entire mix"
  • Export audio directory should be deleted if not used, and only created for cwp projects

Misc.:

  • Preferences dialog categories illegible in High Contrast mode in Windows
  • CTRL+SHIFT drag import of MIDI causes clips to overlap unexpectedly
  • Step Sequencer clip fails to loop in user project
  • Articulations ignored when scrubbing in Piano Roll view
  • Piano Roll scrub stops working after using Clips scrub
  • Add StickyFileExportNotification registry setting
  • Softube plugins throwing error on scan and writing null CSLID to inventory
  • Clean audio folder suggests deleting files in default export audio folder
  • Disable project auto-save while File Export/Bounce to Track(s) dialogs are open
     
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 11
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I thought this might resolve the rather strange Side Chaining effect I get but alas no.

Typically  I setup a Compressor on a Bass Track then feed it's Side Chain Input from a Send on the Kick Drum, pretty typical I think?

I f I SOLO the Bass Track and the Kick Drum Track then the Sidechaining works. But if I instead SOLO the Drum Bus and the Bass Bus that those Tracks are routed to then the Side Chaining stops working!

Is this a Bug or am I not understanding something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THX everyone involved in this software, for your awesome work. Cakewalk ist still my no.1 DAW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Bandlab team for you big....no! no! very very BIG!!! your work!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spiffo said:

Hi, I thought this might resolve the rather strange Side Chaining effect I get but alas no.

Typically  I setup a Compressor on a Bass Track then feed it's Side Chain Input from a Send on the Kick Drum, pretty typical I think?

I f I SOLO the Bass Track and the Kick Drum Track then the Sidechaining works. But if I instead SOLO the Drum Bus and the Bass Bus that those Tracks are routed to then the Side Chaining stops working!

Is this a Bug or am I not understanding something?

I thought this issue was solved too. But I'm still having  troubles with sidechaining in a similar situation.

Here I'll explain a signal flow I usually use, step by step:

1)I have two mics of the kick(in and out), then I send these two signals to a Kick Aux Track.

2)I also have 2 tracks for the bass (mic and DI) and I also send them to a Bass Aux Track.

3)I compress the bass aux track with the input from the kick aux track.

4)Then I create a bus for the whole drumkit, and I send this Kick Aux track to the Drum bus.

5)I create a Bass Buss, and I send the bass aux track to this bus so I can manage all the instruments only from the buses section.

6)And when I solo these buses(bass and drumkit) , the sidechain compression stops working.

 

I would expect that when I solo a bus, all their respective signals should be soloed too.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK...

 

Sounds good...

 

The new registry entry? I'm thinking this is to control the export toast? Where do I set this command and what are the acceptable values?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apeirofobia said:

I thought this issue was solved too. But I'm still having  troubles with sidechaining in a similar situation.

Here I'll explain a signal flow I usually use, step by step:

1)I have two mics of the kick(in and out), then I send these two signals to a Kick Aux Track.

2)I also have 2 tracks for the bass (mic and DI) and I also send them to a Bass Aux Track.

3)I compress the bass aux track with the input from the kick aux track.

4)Then I create a bus for the whole drumkit, and I send this Kick Aux track to the Drum bus.

5)I create a Bass Buss, and I send the bass aux track to this bus so I can manage all the instruments only from the buses section.

6)And when I solo these buses(bass and drumkit) , the sidechain compression stops working.

 

I would expect that when I solo a bus, all their respective signals should be soloed too.

 

 Here's an example of my issue. I deleted all the other instruments, so it would be simpler to see the details.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Yes it can be used to make the toast fade. Here are two reg files that can be used to set it. The app has to be restarted to pick up the setting.
ExportNotificationOn.regExportNotificationOff.reg
 

Thanks Noel...

 

Now how do I add them to the registry? I'll go look and see if it's obvious, but I'm getting old.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Keni said:

Thanks Noel...

 

Now how do I add them to the registry? I'll go look and see if it's obvious, but I'm getting old.........

If you seriously don't know get someone who knows what they are doing. Serious damage can be done if you don't know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apeirofobia said:

I thought this issue was solved too. But I'm still having  troubles with sidechaining in a similar situation.

Here I'll explain a signal flow I usually use, step by step:

1)I have two mics of the kick(in and out), then I send these two signals to a Kick Aux Track.

2)I also have 2 tracks for the bass (mic and DI) and I also send them to a Bass Aux Track.

3)I compress the bass aux track with the input from the kick aux track.

4)Then I create a bus for the whole drumkit, and I send this Kick Aux track to the Drum bus.

5)I create a Bass Buss, and I send the bass aux track to this bus so I can manage all the instruments only from the buses section.

6)And when I solo these buses(bass and drumkit) , the sidechain compression stops working.

 

I would expect that when I solo a bus, all their respective signals should be soloed too.

 

While this might look simple on the surface, its not that surprising that this scenario doesn't work.  The dependency graph logic for bus solo is extremely complex and corner cases have to be specifically programmed esp in more complicated routing scenarios. I'll try and explain.

There are two independent solo "groups" for Buses and tracks that can be independently manipulated. When you solo a bus it figures out all of its upstream and downstream circuit dependencies and makes these audible in the signal flow.  Similarly when you solo tracks or aux tracks. However these solo groups are independent. 

In your scenario since you soloed the kick and bass buses, it figured out that it should make the corresponding aux tracks audible as well as their dependencies which are the bass and kick tracks. However the sidechain is an internal send from the kick aux track to the bass track aux. Since you only soloed buses and nothing is soloed in the track solo group, the intra track send is not evaluated and therefore the send is silenced. If you solo the kick aux track containing the compressor this will work. Also, if you worked exclusively with aux tracks it would also work.

I'll have a look and see if if I can make the bus solo dependency figure out the intra track sends. Without breaking anything else!

I suggest attaching a simple project for the issue since the routing can be very specific and there are thousands of permutations.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Keni said:

Thanks Noel...

 

Now how do I add them to the registry? I'll go look and see if it's obvious, but I'm getting old.........

Double click the reg file after saving them to your desktop. One enables and one disables.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wookiee said:

If you seriously don't know get someone who knows what they are doing. Serious damage can be done if you don't know. 

Thanks...

 

I'm ok with regedit, but I don't remember some things so quickly when I don't do them often.

I found an entry in the reg under CMS|Cakewalk|Core|SticktFileExportNotification which is set at 1

Should I simply change it to zero ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Double click the reg file after saving them to your desktop. One enables and one disables.

Thanks Noel...

 

That makes thing simple... Will do...

 

Done... Couldn't have been easier... and tested. Much better . Thanks for adding this little nugget....

 

Edited by Keni
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

While this might look simple on the surface, its not that surprising that this scenario doesn't work.  The dependency graph logic for bus solo is extremely complex and corner cases have to be specifically programmed esp in more complicated routing scenarios. I'll try and explain.

There are two independent solo "groups" for Buses and tracks that can be independently manipulated. When you solo a bus it figures out all of its upstream and downstream circuit dependencies and makes these audible in the signal flow.  Similarly when you solo tracks or aux tracks. However these solo groups are independent. 

In your scenario since you soloed the kick and bass buses, it figured out that it should make the corresponding aux tracks audible as well as their dependencies which are the bass and kick tracks. However the sidechain is an internal send from the kick aux track to the bass track aux. Since you only soloed buses and nothing is soloed in the track solo group, the intra track send is not evaluated and therefore the send is silenced. If you solo the kick aux track containing the compressor this will work. Also, if you worked exclusively with aux tracks it would also work.

I'll have a look and see if if I can make the bus solo dependency figure out the intra track sends. Without breaking anything else!

I suggest attaching a simple project for the issue since the routing can be very specific and there are thousands of permutations.

Thank you so much for your response. In fact when I soloed the buses and the bass track that contains the compressor, the input worked fine. But sometimes you have a few of this sidechain processes in a project and it would be tedious to solo the buses and the aux tracks everytime you want to hear the effects in the context of some instruments.

In my particular case the ideal situation would be to be able to hear the sidechain compression with the whole drumkit soloed, so if I worked only with the aux tracks I will have to solo every drum part individually.

By the way I don't know how to attach a cakewalk project. How could you open it? I would have to attach the wav files too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand your use case perfectly. Its just very tricky to handle the routing to solo it...
I have implemented some logic that seems to be working but it would require some regression testing. I can send you a build to try later.

As for attaching a project, the easiest way is to save a small bundle file and attach it. Otherwise you will have to zip the entire project folder.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...