Stuck midi notes!!! Halp!

jono grant

I'm setting up keyboard sounds for a live show and using cakewalk to house the synths.

Is there anyone who knows how to eliminate stuck midi notes??? I can deal with it in a recording situation (even though that sucks) but live? It's gonna be ridiculous getting stuck notes during a performance. Nothing else going on in the file, no plugins or wave files etc. Just a few synths.

Anyone know why it happens/ solution?

Thanks

Jono

Stuck notes are normally caused by the hardware not transmitting the note off message. This can be the controller, the cable, the interface and lastly the software. 
In the old days this was often called a midi log jam because too much data was jamming up in the buffer. 
Which is one thing you can try increasing the midi buffer s 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:40 PM, John Vere said:

Stuck notes are normally caused by the hardware not transmitting the note off message. This can be the controller, the cable, the interface and lastly the software. 
In the old days this was often called a midi log jam because too much data was jamming up in the buffer. 
Which is one thing you can try increasing the midi buffer s 

Thanks. I'm trying all different buffer numbers in both places in preferences. Nothing seems to make a difference. Lower or higher. Anything else that could cause this? 

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same issues.

I was playing an Alesis QS 6.2 keyboard using the MIDI out to the MIDI in of a Yamaha Motif Rack connected to the recording computer USB.

I now have a Roland GO:PIANO88 straight to the recording computer USB and still have stuck notes with some regularity. 

What is still the same is Cakewalk routing to the Motif Rack which plays the sounds.  But I expect stuck notes would continue even if I was routing to plug-in after having read your original post.  The stuck notes are NOT on the recorded MIDI tracks.  Only when I play along on a separate "live" track.

Not the same note getting stuck.  after stopping sequence, played same note to resend off command. Still rings.  Tried the sustain pedal.  Still rings.

Only fix so far is resetting MIDI audio, or resetting Motif Rack.

Edited by Wayne
added more info

I've switched back to the QS6.2 because I want the control wheel and pitch bend.  And switching keyboards (which changed the input to USB 'direct') offered no improvement. I'm getting hanging notes with the song stopped and I'm simply playing the keyboard using the Motif Rack is the MIDI input,  routing in CbB to play the Motif Rack.  It's really becoming a regular occurrence which of course is unacceptable.