a demo - Solstice

The Downstream

Something I wrote this weekend, and my first recording in Cakewalk after learning the ins and outs by remixing some older tunes. So many amazing tools for free, and would not have even found VX-64 if not for this forum. Hopefully this song continues to evolve and I learn to sing it a little better. Sometimes I spend too long polishing demos when I should be making the song and performance better.

Edited by The Downstream
to update the mix

Hate to do this, but the guitar in the left channel is really distracting through headphones. I might pull that down, in towards the centre a little and tame the high end a bit. Quite a nice song with some cool chord changes, could use a stronger melody though.

Thanks for the comment - I definitely hear what you are saying listening in headphones - the high strings are a bit distracting. I will tame that and push it a bit towards the center when I get a chance. I've let BandLab do its auto mastering thing, and I think it might have brought some things out more than in the original mix. The song itself certainly doesn't have the hooks I usually try to put in my songs, but I haven't written much this year (this was only the 3rd new song) and I am fairly happy with the result considering, even without a catchy melody or hook to it. It has been a moody December for me, and the chord changes caught the mood turning towards some positivity for the new year. At any rate, getting something done, in a new DAW for me, has me inspired to write some really hooky power pop next.

edit: the update went quick, just a few tweaks on the pro channel eq and saturation, and adjusting the panning and level. A small change, but it helps. Although on closer inspection, I am wondering if I did enough...

Edited by The Downstream