Microsoft love

John K

I got a debauched fleet of 5 computers. They all work great and do anything I'm currently requiring them to do.

One of them 5 years old but Intel i7 processor, lots of RAM. Etc, etc.

All of them have failed the requirements for win 11.  Fortunately, the MS bastards have given me the option to go out and buy or build a new computer. Otherwise face end of life support for win 10 and face destruction if I don't open up the credit card.

Win 10 music computer flies stable and dependable. Thinking of milking the system up to the end of service deadline and just keeping it offline after that.

Is anyone else pissed off over this or am I missing the greater good and should just chill out and embrace progress.

John

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John K said:

I got a debauched fleet of 5 computers. They all work great and do anything I'm currently requiring them to do.

All of them have failed the requirements for win 11.  Fortunately, the MS bastards have given me the option to go out and buy or build a new computer. Otherwise face end of life support for win 10 and face destruction if I don't open up the credit card.

Win 10 music computer flies stable and dependable. Thinking of milking the system up to the end of service deadline and just keeping it offline after that.

Is anyone else pissed off over this or am I missing the greater good and should just chill out and embrace progress.

John

Microsoft is ending support for Windows 10 on October 14th, 2025.  I know of NOBODY who wants Windows 11 anytime soon.

Also, we only just finished convincing clients to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 less than two years ago and none of them are going to want to upgrade before five years (minimum) are up.

Every time either MS or Apple needs a stock boost, it's "Upgrade Or Perish".

I plan on sticking with Win10 for now. I'm in no rush to be a virtual beta tester for Win 11. Let them get the bugs out first, and if I see a clear advantage to upgrading, I will, if not, I'll wait until Win10 is about to expire.

I still have an XP computer that works fine, and as long as I don't connect to the Internet, it does what I want it to do.

Notes

• Like 1

My thoughts?

There is no reason to be in a hurry to jump off the deep end just yet. They call it the cutting edge because you can bleed to death.

On the other hand, I found I am a lot happier living in the world of what is rather than the world of what if.

Things evolve. You have to evolve as well or go extinct.

Edited by bdickens
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, John K said:

Last I heard (but I haven't been following very closely), you can bypass the minimum requirements if you install from an ISO - Windows will operate in an 'unsupported' mode; you might or might not get Windows updates though (which some people may or may not consider to be a good thing).

14 hours ago, craigb said:

I know of NOBODY who wants Windows 11 anytime soon.

I might be wrong, but I think I saw Windows 11 on the computer behind Simeon in one of his videos. I've seen a few posts on this forum from people that say they've quite happily upgraded to W11 too. I'm not trying to persuade or dissuade anyone on upgrading; just saying that some people have done so.

5 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I plan on sticking with Win10 for now. I'm in no rush to be a virtual beta tester for Win 11. Let them get the bugs out first, and if I see a clear advantage to upgrading, I will, if not, I'll wait until Win10 is about to expire.

I think literally *EVERYBODY* should do that. That'll teach Microsoft to not mess with its users.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, John K said:

John

You could switch to Apple....

Still on Win7. No need to upgrade before SW and HW drivers require it. There is no progress with MS, always the same shit in a new wrapping.  As soon as it eventually work, they drop it like a hot potato. Maybe the big money is in support ? Might consider upgrading to Win10 now that it's done.

19 hours ago, bdickens said:

You could switch to Apple....

I did Apple for a number of years. They are even more aggressive in their "upgrade or perish" policy than Windows, it's a lot more expensive, and the OS isn't really all that different.

I let my software decide which OS I use. The StyleMaker app in Band-in-a-Box Windows has more features than its Apple app. It lets me write better aftermarket BiaB styles. Since that is part of my musical income, it requires me to have a Windows PC.

For years the styles weren't 100% compatible (they are now) so I needed to also have a Mac. The Mac required expensive updates. They went from Motorola chips to IBM chips to Intel, then changed to a version of Unix, and on and on and on. Each change rendered my existing software apps obsolete, and so they also needed expensive updates -- that is, if they were still in business.

If I had some software that I need to make a living with that worked better on Apple, I'd still keep up with Apple's upgrade or perish policy, but since I don't, I'll live with Microsoft's upgrade or perish policy.

Insights and incites by Notes

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I did Apple for a number of years. They are even more aggressive in their "upgrade or perish" policy than Windows, it's a lot more expensive, and the OS isn't really all that different.

I let my software decide which OS I use. The StyleMaker app in Band-in-a-Box Windows has more features than its Apple app. It lets me write better aftermarket BiaB styles. Since that is part of my musical income, it requires me to have a Windows PC.

For years the styles weren't 100% compatible (they are now) so I needed to also have a Mac. The Mac required expensive updates. They went from Motorola chips to IBM chips to Intel, then changed to a version of Unix, and on and on and on. Each change rendered my existing software apps obsolete, and so they also needed expensive updates -- that is, if they were still in business.

If I had some software that I need to make a living with that worked better on Apple, I'd still keep up with Apple's upgrade or perish policy, but since I don't, I'll live with Microsoft's upgrade or perish policy.

Insights and incites by Notes

That's exactly why I made that crack.

If the OP is crying about Windows, he don't know how good he got it.

• Like 1