Where are the instruments?

Michael Bauer

I'm using CbB on PC.  

Somewhere along the line, I found a large group/list of sounds/instruments, but can't find them again.  I remember finding them and clicking through a few and thinking that these would be useful when I write in Staff view.  All I can find now are the few plugins that come with CbB that are bracketed within the plugin, but this list I ran across was a longer multi-column list.  I searched through "synths" hoping they were there since that was where they were in Home Studio but no luck.  I would have thought Cakewalk would have kept those, but maybe not.  Bad thing is that I'm not sure if I found this in CbB or if it was in Cubase 11 since I have that program as well, but stopped using it quickly because CbB was easier for me.   I searched through Cubase 11 today, but couldn't find them there either so I'm hoping they are in CbB and I just can't find them.  In the mid-2000s, I used Cakewalk Home Studio 2004XL and it had a massive number of instrument sounds in "synths" that I drew from.  It seems that they were Dxi and .sf2 soundfonts in that program, but they were extremely useful since a lot of the work I did was written in "staff view" with those sounds applied to it.   There were so many to choose from, but the only one I really remember right now was a "melletron cello".

If they are not in CbB, can anyone suggest any plugins that are either free or won't break the bank that has a lot of sounds?      

The Freeware Instruments thread is pages long and has enough freeware instruments to keep you busy for a long time.

Get Sampletank 4 SE and Native Instruments Komplete Start and those will give you plenty to mess with, then plogue sforzando and its free .sfz banks. Both sforzando and Sampletank come with free Mellotron string samples.

• Like 1