Workspaces

sjoens

Last time I looked they were *.lns files. (That's lower case L-N-S, not I-N-S.)  But you'd also have to share other things, like custom themes (if the theme is part of your Workspace) and you might have to do some tweaking.

Update: Just copied my User folder [*.lns files] to a thumb drive and put then onto a second PC I have been setting up.  There are slight variations because the two monitors on PC 1 and PC 2 are different.  So (for example), one "Console on Monitor 2" Workspace had to be tweaked and resaved on PC 2.

Edited by User 905133
Comments added about Workspaces not being exact duplications on different systems; to clarify that the 1st letter in the *.lns is an L not an I.

Based on a quick run through of mine, I'd say it (portability w/o tweaks) depends.  Many of my test Workspaces don't need any tweaks.  Some (esp. the ones using multiple monitor configurations and floating windows) need to be tweaked--basically in terms of relocating and/or resizing.  But for single monitors w/o floaters (i.e., maximized with all panes docked in a single, basic working area), they seem to be fine on PC 2.

In terms of Views used in a Workspace and specific parameters I like, those have carried nicely from PC 1 to PC 2.  One of my Workspaces ("Floating CbB") does indeed have the desired Views as floaters.  But those are saved/restored as floaters so I can move them around anyway.

Many of my specified task Workspaces are perfect on PC 2 (no tweaks needed)--such as "Staff Entry" (used for playing notes/phrases/ideas on a usb keyboard and then tweaking them in the MultiDocked Staff View), "LISTENING + EDITING" (used for marking up and editing oral history tapes), and many others. 

I have a number of test Workspaces that also work on PC 2 as on PC 1--such as a series called "No Views" (used to limit the visibility and functionality of views), a set of "SCREENSET TEST" workspaces (used to test/understand how screensets work in combination with workspaces), among others.

I mention these simply as examples of Workspaces that seem to be portable (at least in my PC1 --> PC2 testing) without additional tweaks.   

If I were designing Workspaces specifically to share with others, I'd probably design them for that purpose.  I would probably have it so the user's theme doesn't get restored as they might not be using the one I have assigned to a specific Workspace.  On the other hand, someone might want to design some Workspaces to go with a specific theme.

As for designing Workspaces for multiple monitors specifically to be shared, I think that would require some instructions for other users.  For example on PC 1, Windows knows my main monitor as "Display 2." The scale and layout of Display 1 and Display 2 are different, but in Windows's Settings they show up as the same size so my cursor moves across the boundary between the two at the same place (i.e., top/bottom).  (Yes, the resolutions of the two are different.)

However, on PC2, Windows knows my main monitor as "Display 1." The scale and layout and resolutions are different and they show as being different sizes. Display 1 and Display 2 are not used on PC 2 in the same way as I use them  on PC 1.   

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Update: Just copied my User folder [*.lns files] to a thumb drive and put then onto a second PC I have been setting up.  There are slight variations because the two monitors on PC 1 and PC 2 are different.  So (for example), one "Console on Monitor 2" Workspace had to be tweaked and resaved on PC 2.

I suspect that the variations I referred to in my original post are due to the different configurations of displays.

Personally, I think sharing custom Workspaces could be useful.  In fact, I seem to remember mentioning that possibility--along the lines of sharing themes. 

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

That is the thing about workspaces. Even if you copy it over by the time you tweak it it would have been quicker to just customize a new one. 

From what I have seen, copying and using *.lns files is easy.  Tweaking them to account for differences in monitors is also easy.  I agree that designing Workspaces to be shared would take time and thought, but in some cases planning portable Workspaces would be worth doing.

As you know, just using Workspaces effectively takes time and understanding and many times the most efficient reply to someone is tell them to switch to "None" or to choose a different factory Workspace.  I don't expect CbB users who just need a quick fix to delve into workspace portability.

However, having gotten some *.lns files from other users (mainly to try to figure out issues with them), I have certainly picked up knowledge that helped me in designing some of my own Workspaces. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed a typo

Ok, thanks. I found them "hidden" in the C:\Users\"me"\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Lenses\User folder.

Interesting they're not listed in the Preferences Folder Locations.

BTW, it was a custom theme layout that raised the question.

Apparently Screensets are embedded in the project (no separate file) but can be imported from another open project.

Edited by sjoens