I'm So Wired

Bapu

@Bapu

There's probably more money in the cables than in the amp. I remember many many moon ago when I got my first real amp head unit. I think it was one of the first digital Sony heads. I got it at a place called Silo in PA. It was a high end audio place. It was the floor model on clearance sale for $1200 so that gives you an idea of the quality. I had to pay $80 bucks for the fiber optic cable to go from the amp to the CD player. Now they give them away with everything you buy.

I had to sell my system before I moved to the mid-west 23 years ago. I paid about $400 for the CD player iirc. I found one at a Goodwill type store out here called Red Racks for $7.50. It was like brand new. There was no disc cartridge for it so I asked the kid working there and he said he had a whole box full of them in the back. He said, "I don't know what it is with you old guys and your vintage stereos." and he gave me a brand new 10 disc cartridge for it and laughed at me. I had tears in my eyes. I had to get rid of the system along with the x so it had some sentimental value to me because I had it before meeting her.

Notice the killer 4x Oversampling. The DAC in the head actually sounded better which is what was used when using the optical cable.

I'd load up Chronicles 1, Chronicles 2, Are You Experienced, Book Of Dreams, Fragile, They Only Come Out At Night, Abbey Road, A Night At The Opera, Dark Side Of The Moon and lastly, Days Of Future Passed and I'd dream yes yes right between the sound machine. Maybe one day I'll stumble across the amp, but high end ones like that people tend to hang on to till they die. Edit: I mean the amp dies, not the person. Doh! 

sony_cdpc100frt.jpg.25478a09f7f4eab36da51b3e773a8a2b.jpg

Edited by Shane_B.

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Reminds me of when I owned these (sold in 2003):

One of the local mom and pop guitar shops has one of the 300 disc changers they keep loaded. To give you an idea how old my amp was it had Dolby Pro Logic capabilities. Ooooh. :)

I listened to a McIntosh MA-5300 one time and it ruined me. Nothing, and I mean nothing I have ever heard can compare to a McIntosh. They are the most pure, distortion free, clean sounding amps on the planet. I never knew what distortion was or how it effected music until I listened to a McIntosh. Distortion smears the image so to speak and destroys the sound field. And the 5300 is one of their low end amps. It was connected to a low end pair of Magnepan's with a cheap Klipsch sub. It was the one and only time I have ever actually heard a sound field where I could pick out the distance and spacing of every instrument and vocal. Seriously, I'll never spend money on anything else. I'll use old junk amps from the pawn shop until I can afford a McIntosh. I think all totaled it would have cost around $9,000 for the amp, Maggie's, and the sub.

Edit: The 5300 has an upgradable DAC so if things change in the future you can just update it and not be stuck with an obsolete amp. Of course, purists usually go for an external DAC, but wow was this thing unbelievable.

Edited by Shane_B.

3 hours ago, craigb said:

Reminds me of when I owned these (sold in 2003):

SonyCDJukeboxes1a.jpg

I actually had two of the 200 and 300's, but gave one of the extras to friend and the other to my parents.

We have a 300 that won't carousel any more. Gotta find a repair shop.

Edited by Bapu

53 minutes ago, Bapu said:

46 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

We had one too but it started acting funky and wife took them all out and I burned them. Of course now she listens to YouTube Music 🤣

We just wanted to pull a few out for the car... woe is me.

47 minutes ago, Bapu said:

It may just need a cleaning. I had to clean mine once in a while for the person I sold it to. They were smokers. Nicotine acts like a lube believe it or not and will make some things slip that shouldn't. I've run in to it more than once. Not saying that's your issue but something that old needs to be cleaned and relubed.

Just now, Shane_B. said:

It may just need a cleaning. I had to clean mine once in a while for the person I sold it to. They were smokers. Nicotine acts like a lube believe it or not and will make some things slip that shouldn't. I've run in to it more than once. Not saying that's your issue but something that old needs to be cleaned and relubed.

We're not smokers (unless you are talkin about my bass playing and then I'm def not a smoker). Nor has anyone ever smoked in our house.

I'll take oiled and re-lubed any day of the week. IJS.

• Like 1