Crossword clue i don't get

Gswitz

I call that one clever. The best ones are those you don't get at first.

For those who have done crosswords for a long time, have you ever noticed how words come in style for a while and then go out??? Some years ago you saw IBO, ULM (Einstein's birthplace), OBI, ENA (Bambi's Aunt), ANA (Literary Collection), and so many others everywhere, but they are rarely seen today.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a crossword fan. It's my way of getting my brains settled before going to sleep.

Yes. The topical hit words vary along years. 
The picture of 9/11 terrorist Atta was one "entry" that was very notable back then. I believe every crossword filler here recognizes his face for the rest of their lives. I wonder if that might  be too sensitive or politically incorrect a clue to be used in the US?

Just popped in my mind: I havent seen a single crossword puzzle with Trump as the answer in it! What are the odds...I can't believe it. 

One of the impressive constructions that I remember was  two 16-letter words on top of each other horizontally, and if I remember correctly, a 23-letter word crossing them vertically.  I don't remember what the words and clues were, but that particular crossword was a masterpiece.

• Like 1

Nope, I haven't seen Trump as an answer, and it's short enough to be a filler.  I do see Idi  (Amin) from time to time, so the constructors are not above using controversial leaders as an answer. But I guess 3 letter fillers are more common (Ulm, Ana, Ena, Obi, Ibo, Ebo, etc.).

l like the puzzles with themes (usually Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday, and sometimes Friday or Saturday). And I like clues that make me think in one direction and then surprise me when the clue means something else.

I don't care for puzzles with too many sports or pop media names, being a non-sports fan and I haven't watched TV since the 1980s so I don't know most of those people. Slide one in every once in a while, OK, but if two or three names are in a section, and they depend on each other, there is a good possibility that the ipad comes out. Although I have learned that Mel had a diner and Reba had a TV show and somebody called Opie was a kid in Mayberry. Also somebody called Norm was on Cheers, Alda was on MASH, and Apu is somebody on the Simpsons, although I've never seen any of those shows. The things you can learn doing crosswords ;) -- and if it wasn't for crosswords I wouldn't know what a Wapiti is (now I feel real smart). :D

When they give music clues, I have to remember not to think like a musician most of the time.

Doing crosswords is entertaining, and it gets me to use my brain in a different way. I guess that's why its entertaining. I often photocopy the puzzle, and do it with my wife, double-teaming the crossword constructor.

When my duo partner (now my wife) and I gigged on cruise ships back in the 1980s there was no TV on board except for the advertising crawls and an old, videotape movie that would play again and again. So after 3 years at sea we got out of the TV habit, and when we got off, I hooked the cable back up, and a couple of months later, disconnected it, because we were used to doing things for entertainment instead of passively having entertainment fed to us.

OK, we're weird, and it's not for everyone, but I think life without TV is better. Instead of watching I learned: to play wind synthesizer, to program wind sounds on the synth,  to add lead guitar as my 7th instrument, about 500 new songs for me duo, to write styles for Band-in-a-Box, to run a mail-order business, to learn HTML code, to convert it to an Internet business, enough cgi code to run a shopping cart, and quite a few other fun things. (I told you I was weird!)

Notes

Edited by Notes_Norton