Apply an effect only to Selected are

Brucie Dubs

Question

Hi, So a couple of examples to explain what I would like to achieve.

Ive selected an area on a track that I wish to apply an EQ to ,ie just to  lower frequency to eliminate a heavy "Pop" on a vocal. But only to that small area and not the entire track.

Ive selected an area on a track that I wish to apply an Echo to . Again not the entire track.

Barry     

5 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Brucie Dubs said:

Hi, So a couple of examples to explain what I would like to achieve.

Ive selected an area on a track that I wish to apply an EQ to ,ie just to  lower frequency to eliminate a heavy "Pop" on a vocal. But only to that small area and not the entire track.

Ive selected an area on a track that I wish to apply an Echo to . Again not the entire track.

Barry     

The way I would do this is to

1. Split the clip around the area you want to affect
2. Use Process->Apply Effect, and apply your effect on that clip
3. Select all the clips and right click->"Bounce to clip(s)" to combine them again

apply_effect_to_part_of_clip.gif

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

14 minutes ago, Brucie Dubs said:

Hi   msmcleod

Very helpful and grateful, great answer.  Can I assume therefore just applying to a selection is not possible. Before I used the 20 year old Cool Edit Pro which did this with ease.

Actually, I've just tried it and it does work without having to cut first. So just select the area with the selection tool, then Process->Apply Effect.

I'd still recommend the bounce to clip(s) afterwards though. It's recommended after any edit.

Edited by msmcleod

You could also use Clip effects, Instead of Process>Apply effect you can select Process>Insert effect. Now the clip will get a fx rack and you can add as much plugins there. This way no need to bounce to clip(unless required to save cpu load).