AYAIC MIX MONOLITH

cclarry

$69.99 with the coupon MIXMONOLITH6999 less any voucher you still have.

And don't forget the recent user survey voucher.

I just don't know if this tool is that great though.

Any informed opinions?

Edited by Sergio
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sergio said:

$69.99 with the coupon MIXMONOLITH6999 less any voucher you still have.

And don't forget the recent user survey voucher.

I just don't know if this tool is that great though.

Any informed opinions?

Not an informed opinion, but in the little bit of research I did for reviews on this (they announced this was coming on social media a few days ago) the small consensus was pretty mixed.

Not that it has all the bells and whistles, but I'm thinking about checking out Hornet's Normalizer for some of the same ideas at a $4 price point.   https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-thenormalizer/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Docy said:

I got it.
Looked too good to pass up and I felt like buying something.
Probably will be cheaper in a few months.
I used the MIXMONOLITH6999 voucher and the $25 user survey voucher to bring the price down to $44.99.

<<<Waiting for a review

I got it on sale several months ago ($99 I think)   It's easy-peasy to use: you set all your faders to "0",  then load AIYAC on every track of your session, go to the preset menu and choose what instrument is on that track, click the "learn all channels"  button, play your song all the way through, hit "mix" and you're done.  So how good a job does it do?  I'd say about 30% of the time it gets you 90% of the way to a really good mix,  30% of the time it gives you decent results that will need some work, and 30% of the time it's not even close.  I play mostly country/blues/rock/pop type of material so I can't weigh-in on how it does with rap, electronic or ambient styles.  I know a good mix when I hear one, but I pretty much suck at mixing, and I find that as often as not after I use AIYAC I'm in the ballpark which made it a good purchase for me.   If you're fairly good at mixing I don't know that you'd need it unless you want to get a quick mix on the fly.  On the other hand, if you are a beginner or if, like me, you know  how a mix should sound, but can't quite get there it can be a very helpful tool.   If I lost it, I would definitely buy it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Michael Docy said:

OK,  but I won't be able to try it until this evening.

OK. I tried it. It does what it is intended to do...
but I am not going to use it on every channel as an auto mixer. I just don't need that.
It does seem to do that reasonably well, though. Watch the YouTube videos to learn how that works.

I will use it on a few channels and sub-groups for ducking and expansion.
It makes it easy to set up either ducking or expansion from one channel to another or channel to subgroup or where ever you want to put it.
I realize that you could use sends and sidechain input with already available plugins to do the ducking,  but Mix Monolith makes it easier and cleaner to set up. It uses its own internal side-chain buss to send audio between instances of the plug. 

It can also be used for gain staging between plug-ins. It will analyze your audio track then you can then set the output level to whatever LUFs you need to drive your other plug-in. This can speedup workflow in some cases where a complex plugin setup exists.

I give it two thumbs up for bringing something new to the table. It is an original idea,  and the plug can be used as a utility plug for ducking/expanding and gain staging.

Edited by Michael Docy
added additional info
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

For a little more than twice the price, $4.80 more will get you the full autogain pro

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-autogain-pro/

I already have that one, but not sure it contains the grouping function, and I don't remember it having an exact setting for the level you want to hit.  Might need to revisit.

If all you need is a gain-staging plug, then the Hornet Normalizer will do that.

The Mix Monolith does gain-staging, ducking/expansion and track volume setting based on a preset that you have to select.
It does not continuously adjust track volume. It sets it once after it has analyzed the track.

The AutoGain pro is an entirely different plug-in. It measures the level of one track and changes the gain of a second track in proportion to the first track using a sidechain. An example of use for the AutoGain Pro would be to keep a vocal track slightly higher in volume than an instrument track or instrument subgroup.

• Like 2

I've been trying to find out how Monolyth compares to iZotope Neutron (+Ozone possibly, to add lufs targeting capability) in terms of "automating the mix process" . Looking at the controls, Monolyth seems to provide more tweakability although, for an approach of "let the automation handle 90% of the mixing process and then add other plugins to refine the remaining 10%" it may not matter that much.

I haven't been able to find comparisons, and it doesn't look like Ayaic is providing demo licenses, so I cannot do a comparison myself. Is there someone here who has both Monolyth and Neutron/Ozone and has compared the results?

• Like 1