What is the default state of PDC?

lowkey

Greetings! Thanks ahead of time for reading this and any help! I don't post much here but this forum seems pretty chill. 

My question is about the PDC button. Should that be lit up, or off? I want the Plugin Delay Compensation to be working automatically. I record multiple inputs from my MPC and I'm running into phasing issues during parallel compression. Any other tips in this regard would be highly appreciated. 

The pop-up help is confusing. I would think that lit up would be ON, but the pop-up says "Override automatic plugin delay compensation on live inputs," so I'm confused. That sounds like OFF to me.

Thanks a mil,

-lowkey

On 10/26/2021 at 7:38 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Yes that button is to OVERRIDE PDC. Is it confusing, yes 😅

Noel - what situation would require or necessitate removing PDC ? I'm trying to imagine a scenario where it would not be wanted.

Edited by RBH

"Is it confusing, yes"

Used the Theme Editor to clear that one up. 

My original response to the OP was simply "Tracking?" but Noel's post below is much better. Meant to note the use of custom color coded buttons to highlight "audio flow", which includes both PDC and FX enable/disable. I end up toggling these for live tracking on projects as they get "heavier" with assorted FX/amp sims. 

Edited by jackson white
clarification/elaboration
  • Great Idea 1

13 hours ago, RBH said:

Noel - what situation would require or necessitate removing PDC ? I'm trying to imagine a scenario where it would not be wanted.

Its described in the help. PDC causes latency so disabling it can allow you to input monitor without incurring the PDC latency.
Disabling it only changes it for the input monitoring and recording signal path. Audio data from tracks will still be delay compensated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 5:43 PM, jackson white said:

Used the Theme Editor to clear that one up.

In most areas, Cakewalk considers "Bypass" to be the active state in Theme Editor. Fortunately, we can provide a bit more clarity with custom button images.

All of my custom themes (see sig for links) clarify the Mix Module buttons for FX bypass, PDC disable, and plug-in oversampling. The former show a red slash across the button when they're in "bypass" and the latter uses "1x" when oversampling is disabled.

I also change the Pre/Post buttons in Console View's Send and ProChannel so that the default "pre" state says "Pre" rather than greyed "Post." Feel free to swipe the images.😊