Upgrade from Hollywood Orchestra to Opus Edition

cclarry

21 hours ago, markno999 said:

The "older" Play libraries such as Hollywood Gold products (Strings, Woodwinds or Brass) will definitely not work with Opus.  You need the newer Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition versions to work with Opus.

I get it that the old Play libraries (I have Hollywood Gold Strings and Brass only) won't work until you buy something that will unlock the new Opus engine for you, only then Opus will pick up your previous Hollywood libraries and they should work. What you say here is basically the opposite. Please can someone clarify? Thx

4 hours ago, chris.r said:

I get it that the old Play libraries (I have Hollywood Gold Strings and Brass only) won't work until you buy something that will unlock the new Opus engine for you, only then Opus will pick up your previous Hollywood libraries and they should work. What you say here is basically the opposite. Please can someone clarify? Thx

I can verify my older libraries did not unlock in Opus after buying (3) new products and getting Opus for free.   The three new products work in Opus, my older Gold Versions do not.    I can also verify that I contacted EastWest Support and they said as much, "you need the newer Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition versions to work with Opus."   I would recommend doing a Chat on their site if you have any questions, they were very prompt in answering.   Probably spent 5 minutes in the Chat.

Regards

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:30 AM, Brian Lawler said:

Ye gads- It never occurred to me that it might be an A interface.  It would be a waste of SSD if it's not USB-C.  I will even run a diagnostic on it and post the results here.

Well- FedEx finally swept out the back room and found my EastWest HOOPUS SSD that was in "delivery problem" purgatory for several days.  No fault of EW- they shipped the day I ordered.

Caveats- I am running a Microstar X570-A Pro motherboard with Ryzen 3700X proc stock. Win 10 Pro 21H1. Going through a 10 port USB-3 hub.  I am not ready to pull the case out of the rodent den and look for a faster connection yet.

The EW SSD is an Lexar 1TB  My photo below.  Case has a USB-C and there are two included one foot cables (USB-C / USB-C   and USB-C / USB 3.0A)  Of course, EastWest might change the shipping hardware any time.

1389456789_Lexardesk.jpg.896e2a18d5088c1e321af2f0c21adcae.jpg

1477600178_OpusDrive.png.7c10147ab2b7e3d792366d88b688385e.png

I am not a performance buff, so I just used the first benchmark I could find, called "Crystal DiskMark 8"  Sequential read was on par with my internal Samsung QVO SSD on SATA, but random, not so much.   It seems to me that write speed doesn't matter at all here.  This is a WORM drive.  My M2 drive is 4x faster than these, but I can't give all that space to one library!  I am happy with the value.  Barely used Opus so far, but loading only used articulations rather than whole instruments feels plenty speedy.  Time will tell once the track counts increase.

LEXAR (EastWest OPUS shipped drive)

1106790292_LexarUSB31TBSSDvia10-porthub.png.55459c3266e6e5a25069b0c21856429b.png

<<<< ADDITIONAL INFO >>>>

Here's a report running the Lexar SSD through a single USB 3.2 port (no hub).  Big difference in write speed and a smaller bump in reading.

686473078_LexarSSDDirectUSB3.2.png.c58e4f0cd14f6f05d676c98f61a1ccf4.png

My Samsung 4TB QVO SSD on SATA bus:

10475484_Samsung870QVO4TBSATA.png.46c06e422ee8a03b02502651518f093b.png

Edited by Brian Lawler
Added new data graph
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have EWHO Diamond  and  I'm very interested in upgrading to Opus because I use EWHO a lot in orchestral projects. I have had lots of timing issues with strings and woodwind primarly, and there seems to be improvements in that area.

I have EWHO Diamond currently on a 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2-disc, but there is only 97GB left on the disc. I also have a Samsung SSD 860 EVO with 1,5 TB left. On the m.2 I also have Ivory II, Soundiron Mars and Venus Choir, and Spitefire BBC SO Core. Would you in an upgrade:

1. Move EW Hollywood Brass (and the solo intruments, I probably won't use them) to the 860 EVO SSD so the rest of Opus fits on the m.2

2. Move Ivory II, Soundiron Mars and Venus Choir, and Spitefire BBC SO Core to the 860 EVO SSD so the whole Opus orchestra fits on the m.2

Ivory II is my go-to-piano and I use BBC orchestra a lot as well. I can't afford another m.2 disc at the moment.

11 hours ago, Fleer said:

They are included in HoOpus. But you’ll still be able to use the old ones in Play. 

Edith: talking ‘bout the Solo instruments. You’ll have to upgrade Choirs separately. 

Thank you.    Wonder how long this sale will happen. 

1 hour ago, husker said:

Thank you.    Wonder how long this sale will happen. 

I'm pretty sure the upgrade has been $295 since September 15. I don't think you have to wait very long for another sale if this sale ends.

Edited by BTP
  • Like 1

My issue is they basically PISSED ALL OVER customers who owned HOD, and told 
us it was raining...$300 upgrade to a product you basically already own 90% of
minus Opus and Orchestrator is a pretty hefty slap in the face

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cclarry said:

My issue is they basically PISSED ALL OVER customers who owned HOD, and told 
us it was raining...$300 upgrade to a product you basically already own 90% of
minus Opus and Orchestrator is a pretty hefty slap in the face

It also includes solo instruments not included in HOD