Upgrade from Hollywood Orchestra to Opus Edition

cclarry

Holy frijoles... That thing is a terabyte!  Comcast would $mack me down if I tried to mix that in to a month of  my usual data.  Does anyone know if you can d/l "usable" parts of this monster (like mic positions) over time?  i.e. be able to use what you have and add more mic positions later.  Sonuscore "The Orchestra" is pretty great, so I am intrigued by their involvement in the "Orchestrator" engine.

Edited by Brian Lawler

7 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Holy frijoles... That thing is a terabyte!  Comcast would $mack me down if I tried to mix that in to a month of  my usual data.  Does anyone know if you can d/l "usable" parts of this monster (like mic positions) over time?  i.e. be able to use what you have and add more mic positions later.  Sonuscore "The Orchestra" is pretty great, so I am intrigued by their involvement in the "Orchestrator" engine.

You can download parts at a time through the East West Installation Center, which should ease the pain...
It's divided into Strings, Percussion, Woodwinds, and brass... 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the link! I have been watching YT and reading the VI threads.  I have not got to that one yet, but it will be next :)  This is looking (and sounding) like a pretty good deal to me.  I bought Hollywood Gold four years ago but just never got "into" it because I didn't like the Play engine.

I contacted EastWest Support and they quickly responded by letting me know that you can download and use instrument sections in the Opus player, but using the Ochestrator will require having everything on disk.  More importantly (as far as MY interest), I learned that the $99 hard drive option is now an SSD rather than a spinner, so the library should be quite usable as provided.  Order placed.  Shipping was about $13 for FedEx Ground.  Overnight would have been @ $30.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

1 minute ago, locrian said:

To be clear, this upgrade takes you from the old Hollywood Orchestra Gold to the new Opus Edition Diamond for just $295?  I can't tell from their website.

Indeed it is not clear...I believe the $295 price is from HO Diamond to HO Opus Diamond
The only Gold Option I see is from Gold Opus to Diamond Opus for $99

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Indeed it is not clear...I believe the $295 price is from HO Diamond to HO Opus Diamond
The only Gold Option I see is from Gold Opus to Diamond Opus for $99

It is as clear as MUD.  I wrote this deal off when they sent out a notice in September and it just didn't look to me like I qualified.  After studying the big VI thread "HOOPUS", I found that they actually now accept owners of a single old Hollywood Gold library (like strings or brass) to have the upgrade price of $295.  Adding to the confusion, when EW released Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition, there were two versions- Gold and Diamond; similar to the old Play based libraries.  They have since dropped Opus Gold and now there is only "Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition". Not with the Diamond tag, but still the big one terabyte library.  The two options I see (I assume everyone sees) on the EW site are to 1) Upgrade from discontinued H.O.Opus Gold to "Current big H.O.Opus" for $99, or upgrade from any Hollywood Orchestra Gold library for $295.  Confusing?  You-betcha!  I will say that their support was very fast, so if you are thinking of getting the deal and want to get a confirmation, it should be easy to get a reply.  Just an aside.  Again based on digging back through the mega-thread, owners of "old" Hollywood Diamond Orchestra had to pay about $500 for HOOPUS less than a year ago.  There are some sour grapes about the more recent adjustment$.  Certainly a chance of further future discounts at this rate, but I decided to bite.

• Like 3

Speaking of mud, is it possible to run old Play libraries in Opus yet?  The reason I ask is b/c a new version of Opus (1.1) is listed in my EW Installation Center.  I installed the previous version (1.0) assuming I could do this, but it would not even load in my DAW much less run any libraries.  So now it's a case of I won't get fooled again, no no.

1 hour ago, locrian said:

Speaking of mud, is it possible to run old Play libraries in Opus yet? 

From my understanding - you have to have bought a library post Opus for Opus to be unlocked & usable.
Once you do (have purchased something) Opus will run your old libs.

Per EastWest

• Will I be able to upgrade to the Opus engine without buying Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition?

Currently you must purchase Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition to get the OPUS software. People who purchase any other EastWest product post-release will also get OPUS. All ComposerCloud members will automatically get OPUS. But we are going to wait a while before allowing previous PLAY product purchasers to upgrade in order to assist our support team during this major upgrade period. When we do provide that option, it will be a paid upgrade.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, locrian said:

Speaking of mud, is it possible to run old Play libraries in Opus yet?  The reason I ask is b/c a new version of Opus (1.1) is listed in my EW Installation Center.  I installed the previous version (1.0) assuming I could do this, but it would not even load in my DAW much less run any libraries.  So now it's a case of I won't get fooled again, no no.

What I know is that Opus only supports the Gold and Platinum Libs. I have a Silver Lib and Opus is trying to load the missing Samples from Gold.

No luck with Silver.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

I contacted EastWest Support and they quickly responded by letting me know that you can download and use instrument sections in the Opus player, but using the Ochestrator will require having everything on disk.  More importantly (as far as MY interest), I learned that the $99 hard drive option is now an SSD rather than a spinner, so the library should be quite usable as provided.  Order placed.  Shipping was about $13 for FedEx Ground.  Overnight would have been @ $30.

Let us know when you receive it about the SSD and if the interface is USB-A or USB-C

They still haven't updated their web site with the SSD info...

• Do you provide a hard drive option? What drive is it?

The Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition Diamond has a hard drive option which you can select during the purchase procedure. It is a 5400rpm hard drive intended for content delivery and backup purposes only. We recommend all users to transfer the data to SSD drives separate to the operating system drive. Amazon has good SSD prices internationally.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

Let us know when you receive it about the SSD and if the interface is USB-A or USB-C

They still haven't updated their web site with the SSD info...

Ye gads- It never occurred to me that it might be an A interface.  It would be a waste of SSD if it's not USB-C.  I will even run a diagnostic on it and post the results here.

• Thanks 2

The "older" Play libraries such as Hollywood Gold products (Strings, Woodwinds or Brass) will definitely not work with Opus.  You need the newer Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition versions to work with Opus.       

I recently bought Ra, Hollywood Singers and Hollywood Pop Brass while on sale and Opus came for free.   These newer products work with Play or Opus, while the older Gold libraries I had (Hollywood Gold Strings, Woodwinds or Brass) only work with Play.   I did contract support to ask how to get my older Gold Libraries working with Opus and and they said these products will not work with Opus, however, that the $295 upgrade would provide an upgrade path for these product to work with Opus and also add Cello Solo, Harp, Percussion and Hollywood Orchestrator as well as the Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition versions of Woodwinds, Brass and Strings.   Pretty good deal. 

Regards   

• Like 1

I picked up EW Hollywood Strings Gold a few years ago on sale. That's all I own. My upgrade price to full orchestra, Opus Edition, everything... is $295?

And someone who purchased Hollywood Orchestra Diamond at full price has that same upgrade price...

Feels weird to be on the other side of discriminative pricing for new vs repeat users for once.

Have Spitfire BBC core but this is tempting. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mister_tea said:

I picked up EW Hollywood Strings Gold a few years ago on sale. That's all I own. My upgrade price to full orchestra, Opus Edition, everything... is $295?

And someone who purchased Hollywood Orchestra Diamond at full price has that same upgrade price...

Feels weird to be on the other side of discriminative pricing for new vs repeat users for once.

Have Spitfire BBC core but this is tempting. 

Exactly my situation.  I only just bought BBC Core during the recent brief 50% off sale, and like it enough that I was thinking of upgrading to Pro when it goes 40% off (expected Christmas sale- not a given).  HOOPUS upgrade is (I think) about the same $$ that BBC Pro upgrade would cost (on sale), but I decided that it would be more useful to me.

• Like 1