Using 2 audio interfaces

Richard Mynderup

Question

I have 2 Presonus audio interfaces and would like to use both. But not at the same time. I have a Sweetwater Creation Station that will be used for my normal midi/audio work and now adding an area in my studio to do voice over work. The templates I’ve created for VO work will use one interface at the location of our booth and the other interface will be used for the rest…

is this doable??

thanks

Edited by Richard Mynderup
Misspelled words

5 answers to this question

Manufacturers who supply ASIO drivers to aggregate their devices are not shy about the feature.

If the marketing literature for the interfaces do not mention running multiple interfaces, they do not support the feature.

It may be possible to use a different driver such WASAPI if the devices have a way to share a clock. 

12 hours ago, Richard Mynderup said:

But not at the same time

This is the important part. 
You can switch to any audio interfaces in ASIO mode. Just turn off the unwanted one, turn on the one you wish to use. Windows will switch over but you might have to restart Cakewalk. I have done this a lot with using Focusrite and Tascam interfaces. 

Normally unless they are identical and as scook says the driver supports it, it is rare to have two running at same time in ASIO mode. 

It is not a problem recording a live band in WASAPI or WDM mode using two interfaces but if you are over dubbing new tracks to already recorded tracks your timing offset will need adjustments. 

A Tascam US 600 is probably the same vintage as my us 1641, as I see the driver was last updated in 2014. I haven't hooked mine up for a long time but it was working great with W10 and CbB last time I did. I'll hook it up tonight if I get a minute and see if it's still OK.  You can still use the speakers but don't use the USB, hook them up normally with patch cables from your interface. 

Update: my Tascam just ran all night without any issues I’m all updated both windows andCbB    
Seems your driver should still be fine too  if made by same team  

The M1 Specs:

USB 1.1 audio interface   -  1.1? that's gotta be totally obsolete  for W10 

16-Bit / 48 kHz recording and playback      16 bit's even dates it more this also means you cannot use with a 44.1 Cakewalk project. 

Pro-grade 1/4" plugs and standard RCA jacks

Works with iPad via Apple USB Adaptor (sold separately)

TRS Headphone output

Two 1/4” phone jacks inputs      This is what makes them still something usable in the modern world. You would use these connected to your audio interface. 

Stereo 1/8” TRS mini-jack input  Or this if you were using on Board audio. 

Stereo RCA inputs

1/8” TS output to passive speaker  ho! lets power up our PA speakers with this 10 watt Class X amp Har har. 

Switchable power supply

Magnetically shielded for placement near TV and computer monitors

This product is class compliant; it does not require drivers    that sucks but nobody would dream of using this as an audio interface anyhow. 

Edited by John Vere

I regularly switch between my RME and my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, and also occasionally my Yamaha 01X.

The way I do it is by making a backup copy of the following in %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core : 

AUD.INI
Cakewalk.ini
ctrlsurface.dat
INSTRMAP.INI
TTSSEQ.INI

I've got a set of backups of these files from when Cakewalk was configured for each interface.

When I want to switch, I close down Cakewalk, copy the relevant backup back to %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core , then restart Cakewalk.

You could easily make batch files and put them on your desktop to do this for you.