Legacy Sonar 2.2 program

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I've resurrected projects from as far back as Pro Audio 7 & 9 & Sonar 1XL by first loading it into Sonar X3 & saving it again.

For the odd problem project, I've had to resort to X1 or Sonar 8.5, but X3 seems to work for most.

However, the OP hasn't really given much details regarding customisation. If it's some binary hack, maybe even Sonar 2.2 XL might not work, and Sonar 2.2 standard is his only choice. In saying that, I can't remember if the XL version was actually a different program, or just had extra content.

If it's a studioware panel, then anything from Sonar 3 to Sonar 8.5 should work. 

We've tried 6 and 7 and the latest version, to no avail. Thanks tho!

On 5/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, razor7music said:

Hey @chrismohr

You know, I just might have the DVD's to Sonar 2.2. (I'm a bit of a pack rat when it comes to software). Let me check when I get home.

I see that my purchase history on Cakewalk.com has SONAR X2 Producer. Would that work in case I don't have 2.2?

BTW--is there anything I need to be concerned about breaking my EULA if I make a copy?

If you have 2.2 I will get any permission necessary from BandLab I promise! Thx

On 5/3/2019 at 3:13 PM, slartabartfast said:

I would think the main issue with the EULA would primarily have to do with how the copy is activated. In those days it was a printed activation code or serial number or some such that came with the packaging. If the OP still has access to the code he got with his original licensed copy, he should be able to activate it from any copy of the installation disc for the identical version and it would still be under his own original license. If  he has to use your activation code, then technically you may be considered to be transferring  your license to him, which as far as I can recall was always forbidden with Cakewalk products. If the OP can prove he has a valid license to the software, then a reasonable licensor might consider that someone providing the installation media to him did not violate the spirit of the license.

The creation of archival copies of installation media is often forbidden by boilerplate licensing contracts, and is addressed in copyright law (17 U.S. Code § 117). People often think that the law permits them to distribute copies of the software they own to others (which is different than transferring the license), but in fact the law by itself only permits a backup copy to be made for the use of the original owner, and requires that any copies be destroyed or transferred with the original if the software is legally transferred.  So just making the copy with the intent to transfer it  to someone else might run afoul of copyright law in addition to the EULA.  

Yes, and I think I can get permission from BandLab if a copy of 2.2 is definitely available. What you are saying is what I also understand. But I bought this and many other versions since the 1980s, and BandLab can't help me directly...

@chrismohr: I have an orig 2.0 disk, and 2nd disk containing 2.1 and 2.2 patches. Would be happy to send to you, gratis. BTW, I went to your website - interesting stuff. Would love to hear some of your 53-eq music. I too was born in ‘53, and studied composition at one of the top schools. Studied briefly with a fellow who was a champion of quarter tone music, but I could never understand the appeal. Just sounded WAY out of tune to me. So I would be interested to learn more about a microtonal system that sounds ‘perfectly in tune’...

PM your address and I’ll send you those disks if you haven’t sourced them elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, chrismohr said:

Cool I will get permission if I can.

Hi Razor7 

Here is the permission we need for you to send me 2.2! You can email me at chrismohr53@gmail.com and tell me what I owe you and an address to mail a check. I'll give you my snailmail address. Just to be sure, I will also need serial number or code key or whatever to install this, so be sure you have that info for me too. If you send this I'll also send you the password to my new e-book as well. THANK YOU! Chris Mohr 

Just now, chrismohr said:

Hi Razor7 

Here is the permission we need for you to send me 2.2! You can email me at chrismohr53@gmail.com and tell me what I owe you and an address to mail a check. I'll give you my snailmail address. Just to be sure, I will also need serial number or code key or whatever to install this, so be sure you have that info for me too. If you send this I'll also send you the password to my new e-book as well. THANK YOU! Chris Mohr 

Just now, chrismohr said:

Hi Razor7 

Permission note from Mike at BandLab/Cakewalk:

Mike (Cakewalk)

May 6, 22:49 +08

Hey Chris,

That's so great! I knew the forum crowd could pull through for you. There's really nothing keeping you from using anybody else's copy at this point, as Cakewalk (the company) has been closed for awhile now. BandLab acquired the IP and some of the assets, but that should have no restriction on your usage. 

Great to see the Cakewalk community coming together to help! If there's anything we can do in the future, just let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

Best,
Mike

1 hour ago, chrismohr said:

Permission note from Mike at BandLab/Cakewalk:

Mike (Cakewalk)

May 6, 22:49 +08

Hey Chris,

That's so great! I knew the forum crowd could pull through for you. There's really nothing keeping you from using anybody else's copy at this point, as Cakewalk (the company) has been closed for awhile now. BandLab acquired the IP and some of the assets, but that should have no restriction on your usage. 

Great to see the Cakewalk community coming together to help! If there's anything we can do in the future, just let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

Best,
Mike

Great!!

I'll get working on this and email you directly.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:56 PM, James Argo said:

I still have the CD, (and I made the ISO backup), however I don't think it's legal to share it (even the backup installation).
If I'm not mistaken, it was the first time Cakewalk support VST by native. The goodies in the bundle are awesome, I keep using some of them til these days. The Blue Jay Drums kit.. Aaah those days of soundfonts... 😀

It IS legal to share, I just got this permission letter from Mike:

Hey Chris,

Best,
Mike

So... if you have the original disk and serial number (which is NOT on the disk), and are willing to send it to me, please email me at chrismohr53@gmail.com to agree on details. Thank you! Chris Mohr

On 5/5/2019 at 5:08 PM, Rhenn said:

@chrismohr: I have an orig 2.0 disk, and 2nd disk containing 2.1 and 2.2 patches. Would be happy to send to you, gratis. BTW, I went to your website - interesting stuff. Would love to hear some of your 53-eq music. I too was born in ‘53, and studied composition at one of the top schools. Studied briefly with a fellow who was a champion of quarter tone music, but I could never understand the appeal. Just sounded WAY out of tune to me. So I would be interested to learn more about a microtonal system that sounds ‘perfectly in tune’...

PM your address and I’ll send you those disks if you haven’t sourced them elsewhere.

Thanks for the offer! If you have the Serial Number too this could work! Email me at chrismohr53@gmail.com

Here's the permissionn email I got from Mike at BandLab

Hey Chris,

Best,
Mike

On 5/5/2019 at 5:08 PM, Rhenn said:

Quarter tone music is good only if you are building a musical system built off the third and 11th harmonics, otherwise you are more than doubling the dissonance inherent in 12-equal!