Addictive Drums: Help with "minimalist drum map"

Dave G

Question

I've created an Addictive Drums 2 "minimalist" drum map. I found the default AD2 drum map too elaborate and too jumbled to manage, so I've reduced the entire map down to the sounds I'm most likely to use.

Image is attached here.

As pictured, I've neatly grouped each category of drum piece together as closely to the traditional GM map as possible. (I wasn't satisfied with the AD2 custom GM map either.) I'll eventually create a Cakewalk drum map that matches this so it's reflected in the PRV.

But, to further educate myself and tweak the drum map accordingly, I request clarification of the behavior of some drum sounds:

1. What's the difference between Bell, Tip, and Shaft hits (esp. Ride and HiHat)?
  2.  What's the difference between Snare Open / Shallow hits? (These sound alike.)
  3. What's the difference between a Snare RimClick and SideStick?
  4. Am I clear in understanding that the designated Flexi hits don't stay saved in the map, as they're variable with each AD2 kit?

Part of my confusion is that many of the corresponding hits sound alike.

If any drum enthusiasts out there can enlighten me, much appreciated. After all, this will be a universal drum map for me and I don't want to change it later after I've used it in several projects. Thank you! :)

AD2 drum map.jpg

6 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Dave G said:

RimClick and SideStick are the exact same technique

Rimclick/Side Stick/Cross Stick are all gonna sound pretty much the same for practical purposes. Most drummers would acknowledge a difference between these and striking -just- the rim with a stick as the snare head contributes to the overall sound.

7 hours ago, Dave G said:

Snare Open &  Shallow hits

Snares can be fairly complex, depending on where you strike it (center to edge), how hard and which end of the stick you use. Mallets, hot rods, brushes, hands, etc. all expand the palette.  

Edited by jackson white

The 3 fundamental articulations (hits) for cymbals are;

1. Edge (of the cymbal)
  2. Bow (middle)
  3. Bell (center, raised area)

Not every cymbal supports every articulation. 

HHs can have a lot more depending on how open it is.

Any drum can be struck with;

1. The tip (small end)
  2. The shank (middle of the stick)

Snare Rim = hitting the snare rim with a stick

Snare Sidestick = usually means "cross stick" which anchors one end (usually the tip) on the snare head and hitting the rim with the other 

Not a big AD2 user, but IIRC, the flexi slots are for specific articulations unique to that drum piece. (i.e brush strokes)

7 hours ago, jackson white said:

Snare Rim = hitting the snare rim with a stick

Snare Sidestick = usually means "cross stick" which anchors one end (usually the tip) on the snare head and hitting the rim with the other

Thank you for the explanation!

I didn't realize these techniques are very YouTubeable, so I've learned a lot there.

Having just watched several of these videos, I notice that these drummers are saying the RimClick and SideStick are the exact same technique...

But, as you said, RimClick is simply just striking the rim like one would play the drum (not as common as SideStick?)

I think the way you explained it makes more sense to me.

What about the Snare Open &  Shallow hits? Aren't those the same strike, but with different force?

👍

7 hours ago, jackson white said:

IIRC, the flexi slots are for specific articulations unique to that drum piece. (i.e brush strokes)

6 hours ago, Keni said:

Flexi are just 4 additional sound slots on a virtual pad. Cowbell, wood block, etc can be loaded there.

I've confirmed that these assigned sounds change with each drum kit, and therefore not permanently assignable to a Flexi (i.e. assigning a hand clap, tambourine, and a cowbell, saving the custom map, and changing to a different kit...but those Flexis didn't "stay".)

Edited by Dave G

On 10/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, jackson white said:

Rimclick/Side Stick/Cross Stick are all gonna sound pretty much the same for practical purposes. Most drummers would acknowledge a difference between these and striking -just- the rim with a stick as the snare head contributes to the overall sound.

Snares can be fairly complex, depending on where you strike it (center to edge), how hard and which end of the stick you use. Mallets, hot rods, brushes, hands, etc. all expand the palette.  

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation.

On 10/25/2021 at 2:22 PM, rsinger said:

That's in the manual - there is an illustration showing the different strikes. Shallow is the head toward the rim and open is in the center.

https://assets.xlnaudio.com/documents/addictive-drums-manual.pdf

Page 45.

Thank you! I thought AD2 had a digital manual, just never thought to look or where to find it.

Checking the manual, I found clear diagrams of all the snare hits in the very back. (Wish I'd seen that before!)

👍

Edited by Dave G