Changing velocity on snare throughout whole track

Harley Dear

Hi all,

How is it possible to change the velocity of one of the drum instruments, for example a snare, for the whole track. 

In this song, I am wanting the snare to have more presence compared to the rest of the kit. If I select the midi line/note that the snare is assigned to, it highlights but when I move into the velocity section and use Smart Select, I can only move one 'hit' at a time. How can I move ALL the note velocities for just the snare up ( say ) 5dB ?

Thanks - Harley

image.png

If you can select all of the notes you want to effect, You can use the Event Inspector to offset all selected notes. You can also utilize the transform tool - to raise velocities - compress velocities - expand velocities.

22 hours ago, Harley Dear said:

If I select the midi line/note that the snare is assigned to, it highlights but when I move into the velocity section and use Smart Select, I can only move one 'hit' at a time.

You should be able to change all selected notes at once with the Smart Tool. There was probably just an user error there. In addition if you hold Shift while changing velocity of any of the selected notes, it will scale their velocity by percentage. You can grab either in the velocity pane or at the top of any of the selected notes.

Pretty much all drum VST's have a mixer for adjusting levels of kit pieces. Some also have Compressors and EQ and other processing. With Addictive Drums I've heavily modified most of the settings and saved them with my song titles.  

Level and Velocity are two different things

Velocity for most instruments changes the timber or harshness of the sound as it is increased to emulate what happens when you hit things harder. 

Most snares become more aggressive as you increase the velocity. I find around 100 is normal but by 115 it starts to have more bite.

EQ and compression is also a good way to bring a snare out front without it becoming too loud.  

14 hours ago, lapasoa said:

Yes. If you have a drums plugin simply raise the volume of the snare.

Thanks - yes I looked at that. Increasing the volume through the SSD5 kit changed the character of the sound which I didn't want to do, just simply wanted more volume as I originally had it set. Scott's solution worked the best, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind for a couple of other tracks I need to tweak.

We use CbB as our backing track for our group.

6 hours ago, John Vere said:

Pretty much all drum VST's have a mixer for adjusting levels of kit pieces. Some also have Compressors and EQ and other processing. With Addictive Drums I've heavily modified most of the settings and saved them with my song titles.  

Level and Velocity are two different things

Velocity for most instruments changes the timber or harshness of the sound as it is increased to emulate what happens when you hit things harder. 

Most snares become more aggressive as you increase the velocity. I find around 100 is normal but by 115 it starts to have more bite.

EQ and compression is also a good way to bring a snare out front without it becoming too loud.  

Thanks for taking the time to help me. These are interesting points and good advice. Cheers - Harley

8 hours ago, chris.r said:

You should be able to change all selected notes at once with the Smart Tool. There was probably just an user error there. In addition if you hold Shift while changing velocity of any of the selected notes, it will scale their velocity by percentage. You can grab either in the velocity pane or at the top of any of the selected notes.

Agree - must be user error - I still can't get it to work the way you suggest, but I could do it with Scott's method. Another band member knows CbB quite well so I will see if he knows what I am doing wrong. Thanks for helping anyway.

• Like 1