Auto Saving

MainMan Media

How do I stop cakewalk from saving files. I was working some something, and some how the setting got where I didn't want them. I quit. Did not save. However when I reopened. Those setting are there. I deliberately didn't save that file on propose. Don't save I thought meant it would be deleted. How do I delete files on cakewalk. 

Or by settings do you mean your workspace changed?  When you select any given workspace it remains until you change to a different workspace. It has nothing to do with saving projects. Project don’t save workspaces. 

If you make a bunch of changes to your set up then you need to save it as a new workspace or overwrite the one you made changes too. If not next time you start cakewalk it will load the last workspace chosen. 

Auto save won’t overwrite your original project. It only creates a bunch of files marked as auto save copy in your project folder. I doubt you had it turned on as it’s not a default setting. 

Edited by John Vere

image.png

This is the default "Cakewalk Projects" folder

• 5th of Sept is a user create project folder. This likely appears in the Cakewalk Start Screen.
  • Audio Data is the default global audio folder defined in Preferences > File > Audio Data
  • Picture Cache is a folder used to store deprecated wav files used as  audio clip images displayed in projects. Its location is also defined in Preferences > File > Audio Data
  • All Cakewalk Sample Content & Tutorials.lnk is a shortcut pointing to "Cakewalk Content" which is "C:\Cakewalk Content" by default.

"Cakewalk Projects", "Audio Data", "Picture Cache" and "All Cakewalk Sample Content & Tutorials.lnkare created when CbB is installed.

I found that folder and deleted. See if I can't get this program to do only what I tell it to do. I want to do my own template to open. I was just going through the software to see with it did and didn't do. Then I got stuck with I don't know what. I'm use to try any and everything. If it doesn't work as I like. Worst case scenario, throw it in the trash and start all over. That's not working here as it's saving it and reloading those parameter when I start a new instants of the program. 

42 minutes ago, MainMan Media said:

I found that folder and deleted. See if I can't get this program to do only what I tell it to do. I want to do my own template to open. I was just going through the software to see with it did and didn't do. Then I got stuck with I don't know what. I'm use to try any and everything. If it doesn't work as I like. Worst case scenario, throw it in the trash and start all over. That's not working here as it's saving it and reloading those parameter when I start a new instants of the program. 

That is fine and is the only way to delete unwanted projects.

Deleting a project folder does not affect the most recently used project list stored in the registry so the project will still show up in the DAW project  history.

Of course, if the project folder has been deleted, there is nothing to load.

CbB does not provide a mechanism to maintain the MRU project list.

Eventually deleted projects age off the MRU project list.

If one really wants to manage the project MRU, I wrote a tool which can to this called Launchpad. It is part of larger collection called CbB Tools.

Here is the thread about the tools. It includes a link to the Google page containing  the program.