The "Selection" tool when used to compose (add notes), the normal function was to click on location, right delete, left click and held and drag to move the note. Now it in version 2021.09 it doesn't do any of that. If you click it add new note. If you right click it give you option to adjust the note parameters. Which is stupid as you're supposed to do that via features in button (select all or just that one note. do random or whatever. extremely time consuming if you wanted to do all notes on that line). I don't know why it was changed, and changed without offering any information on how to change it back. 

Does anybody know how to change the selection tool back to the old way as is in all other music editing software?

There is nothing in the 2021.09 release notes about changing Select tool.

I use the Smart tool exclusively and it performs these actions

32 minutes ago, MainMan Media said:

the normal function was to click on location, right delete, left click and held and drag to move the note

To my knowledge the Select tool never did these operations.

The Select tool works the same in 2021.04, 2021.06 as it does in 2021.09.

I had 2021.04. it was an arrow and not a pencil. It turns into a pencil on the midi note window only. If you right click it erases. Left click and hold it should move. I use to could left click in open space (drag) and it would select all the notes that encompassed what was dragged over. That doesn't work now. The program was changed and these feature are not working that way now. 

When draw in disabled in the Smart tool, the icon is

13 minutes ago, MainMan Media said:

an arrow and not a pencil. It turns into a pencil on the midi note window only.

By default all operations are enabled in the Smart tool.

The Smart tool link above has a section called "To customize the Smart tool"

Smart tool customization was introduced in 2019.07.

• Like 1

I've long clicked on the smart select tool. The menu come up. I have everything selected. However, like I've said. The functionality of has chanced. You use to could click in empty space (drag) and it would select everything in that area. Doesn't work now. You have to drag in window just below the transport pane. But that's not good if you're not trying to select certain notes that are in that area. The only other option I have found is ctrl clicking on each note (time consuming). Click and drag was so much easier. Why take that away? And how do I get redo it so that it works

Edited by MainMan Media

there is no 

18 minutes ago, MainMan Media said:

smart select tool

There is a smart tool and a select tool.

Using the proper terminology helps to speed along the conversation.

Using the smart tool with all options enabled

• clicking any empty space in the PRV creates a note - always has.
  • right-click and drag in the PRV lassos a selection - always has

After updating did you reboot the PC?

No I didn't restart the cpu after reinstall. It's  2021, I thought that was ancient and useless by now. I've been using Logic and Pro-tools and that online thing, so much and they operate the same. Seem like it did the same here. Yeah! Right click works. Thank you very much.

Ps: Where I come from the class excluded people like me (via high attendance fee). The people they were marketing the software to wasn't buying it (Those that learn at school mostly looked for a job and didn't have a cpu at home). So the reps started doing demonstration at the music store. That's how I learned.  I've never ran across anybody that could or was willing to articulate how to operate the software. This being free, definitely won't be seeing a rep in a store doing a demonstration. 

I am fully aware of what time it is thanks.

Regardless of the OS, a reboot may be indicated any time software does not work as advertised.

When something appears to change and the change is not reflected in the documentation or release notes, it is pretty easy to rollback to the previous release (or in your case 2 back) and review how it previously worked.

The links I provided about detail how the tools work.

There are plenty of free tutorials about how to use this software.

There is even a section on this forum discussing these tutorials.

• Like 1

I bad, I thought you were just highlighting that. Didn't know it was an actual link. I appreciate it very much. It's exactly what I was looking for. Certainly doesn't populate as a solution/result on search for "selection tool, selection tool functions". 

Thank you very much.