OMD Remix

garybrun

I posted this quite a while ago..  but have done a remix of it.
Somehow there was something missing in my ears/eyes..   (it was a more powerful/sound/message).
As I have learnt more over the years I am asking for opinions on this mix.
There is a lot of emotion in my vocal...  but I chose to leave it in.
Though the vocal is not perfect I didn't want to loose that emotion.

This was a calibration with @Grem and @Simeon Amburgey
Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Original

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 4

Just now, mark skinner said:

Beautiful remix Gary , the piano sounds even better now.  All of the instruments sound Very authentic and the vocals are Perfect.  Nice hearing it again ..       mark

Thanks Mark...  thought I had got it wrong. 🙂

7 minutes ago, garybrun said:

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to listen.
Maybe I have crushed it to much.

I think by bringing up the volume it's bringing up the distortion too. I hear some in the original too, esp. in the louder passages. Again maybe it's just my ears...great song- that's the important thing!

Edited by hsm
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hsm said:

I think by bringing up the volume it's bringing up the distortion too. I hear some in the original too, esp. in the louder passages. Again maybe it's just my ears...great song- that's the important thing!

Im going to give my ears a rest and give it another go!
Doubting myself!  lol
I understand what you are saying...   I have used maybe a little too much saturation for warmth..  (tube added)

Edited by garybrun

Very nicely done work garybrun....the new mix is louder and a brighter than the original and i do prefer it over the original mix...i enjoy the music in the piece as it is really good enough to stand alone on its own as an instrumental...you have a very good voice and did a great job singing this ( i am sorry but i don't know the name of the piece, i saw OMD and thought it was a cover of an Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark song 😉 ) cheers 🎹🎻🎶🎵

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Very nicely done work garybrun....the new mix is louder and a brighter than the original and i do prefer it over the original mix...i enjoy the music in the piece as it is really good enough to stand alone on its own as an instrumental...you have a very good voice and did a great job singing this ( i am sorry but i don't know the name of the piece, i saw OMD and thought it was a cover of an Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark song 😉 ) cheers 🎹🎻🎶🎵

One More Day.
Thanks for taking the time to listen Larry and sharing your thoughts.

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 2

This is an amazing song Gary - both the music and the message is beautiful.

I think the limiter might be a bit hot in the remix. For this type of music, I personally prefer the extra dynamic range and cleaner sound of the original, though I thought the vocal stood out a bit from the piano/strings in that mix. It might be an idea to gently compress the piano/strings, and also the vocals as two separate groups, and then gently compress them again in the final stage; please ignore if I'm telling you something you already know - no malice intended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, antler said:

This is an amazing song Gary - both the music and the message is beautiful.

I think the limiter might be a bit hot in the remix. For this type of music, I personally prefer the extra dynamic range and cleaner sound of the original, though I thought the vocal stood out a bit from the piano/strings in that mix. It might be an idea to gently compress the piano/strings, and also the vocals as two separate groups, and then gently compress them again in the final stage; please ignore if I'm telling you something you already know - no malice intended.

Thanks for the comments and the listen.
I agree with what you say.
I have just been listening to the song for too long and will back down the limiter.
Was experimenting with the Kush Bliyss...

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1

To me, the remix is louder, has a more definition, but

22 hours ago, garybrun said:

Maybe I have crushed it to much.

maybe, but it would be interesting to hear the comments if you hadn't posted the original.

I think the answer lie between the two.

It is hard to screw up a great tune, which this is, and the emotion in your voice is perfect.

you are a true artist

Boy what a great song! Love the lyrics and the vocals are perfect.

For the mix, I'd agree with Antler's comments. Get the nuclear weapons off of the master bus and you'll be fine. :) You got this. Did you gain stage the tracks so that before any processing they don't have an average level above like 16 - 12db?  When my mixes sound like this, I see I have pre-plugin average levels around 10 or higher. Then my processing down the line gets things pretty baked.

I wouldn't change a thing about that vocal performance.

cheers,

-Tom

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Boy what a great song! Love the lyrics and the vocals are perfect.

For the mix, I'd agree with Antler's comments. Get the nuclear weapons off of the master bus and you'll be fine. :) You got this. Did you gain stage the tracks so that before any processing they don't have an average level above like 16 - 12db?  When my mixes sound like this, I see I have pre-plugin average levels around 10 or higher. Then my processing down the line gets things pretty baked.

I wouldn't change a thing about that vocal performance.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks so much for the helpful comments people...
OK... less Duke Nuke Em... on MB.
Yes.. the gain staging was off... missed it!!  lol
Thanks for all your time and comments...

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

To me, the remix is louder, has a more definition, but

maybe, but it would be interesting to hear the comments if you hadn't posted the original.

I think the answer lie between the two.

It is hard to screw up a great tune, which this is, and the emotion in your voice is perfect.

you are a true artist

Cheers Jessie...
Thanks so much for taking the time to listen.