Soundpaint Instrument - 1975 Soulful Guitar ($20)

locrian

It absolutely doesn't sound very realistic as a guitar sample library, listen to the improvisation at the beginning of the video, that's not going to fool a discerning ear. It's nowhere near the same league as the KONTAKT sample libraries like Orange Tree  Samples Evolution or Ample Sounds. But it sounds pretty cool on fast notes, with some of the effects on it like the octaver you hear later in the YouTube video -- granted, it really doesn't sound like an authentic guitar, but it doesn't need to, I like some of the different sounds it makes  and it's only twenty bucks. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

Okay, so Soundpaint is still not available for download. I just had a PM exchange a few minutes ago. Here's what they had to say: 

"The launch for soundpaint had to be delayed unfortunately. We discovered there were some bugs in regards to our web servers and how security keys are generated + some issues with older Mac OS systems. We are currently running a final web BETA and it just triggered some unfortunate web-flow discoveries we need to fix and improve in the next couple of days. If you like, we will be sending out live updates in our discord server which you can join at any time. https://discord.gg/8Mg6jAs3bW You can also find more information on our youtube page, which you can find here! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGC9kjHgfuD93LlFiCpLB4A  "

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

This is supposed to be an SG, right?  I owned one for a decade and this doesn't sound anything like it at all. 

This sounds light and jazzy to me.  The SG is Angus Young, Pete Townshend,  Eric Clapton, etc.

Judging from the video, the guitar used is a Gibson and looks like an SG.

image.thumb.png.39ec494dfcf643589a64a29d19f0e5cb.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

This is supposed to be an SG, right?  I owned one for a decade and this doesn't sound anything like it at all. 

This sounds light and jazzy to me.  The SG is Angus Young, Pete Townshend,  Eric Clapton, etc.

I still own one as it is one of my favorite guitars to play.

(Derek Trucks is the king of SG tone)

That said, I don't think this really sounds like a guitar to me....but it does share some qualities of a vintage SG recorded straight to board.  For a guitar VSTi - guitar recorded straight in is what I'd want so that I can use any amp sim on it.  I'll hold judgement until I hear it in that context, but the demos to me sound like interesting tone/insturment but not really a great representation of an electric guitar that someone would want to use on its own as the sound of an electric.

The pickups used in a 70s era SG vs what most SGs of the 90s and 2000s (not the 62 reissue kind of stuff) are quite different.  

The SG sound we associate with Angus, Townshend and Clapton is more about the amp used than the guitar, in my opinion.  Even Angus who is perhpas the quintessential SG player (along with Iommi) played a LP on some tracks and really the only way we know this isn't becuase of a drastic change in tone.  

• Like 2

For those focusing on realism, pay close attention, and perhaps stick with Kontakt ... :)

And see the comments below from Troels about SoundPaint Technology (posted at VI-CONTROL).

He has previously made several remarks that his goal was to introduce an entirely new type of instrument from the ground up. My take is that it's not just a new sample engine or physical modeling. More like a new flavor of sample based synthesis.

Everything you are hearing is made with fully playable instruments - that are rendered in real-time as you play. No key switches. No load-times. No phrases. No BS. Just pluck and play

I wouldn't compare Soundpaint to any existing line of libraries or existing technologies.

I realize the term: "engine" is used fairly casually in terms of people retrofitting Kontakt, but this is not the case.

Soundpaint is completely built from the ground up as a proprietary engine. In fact, we had to build an entirely new audio format to get the real-time rendering algorithms to work. It is in many ways also a counter-reaction to today's music technologies, which have become overly complex, slow and redundant.

To me, it is all about shortening the distance from a musical thought to its creation. This is what Soundpaint is about.

We love Kontakt and have no ambitions of stopping or changing our support of it. 8Dio will remain a fully Kontakt exclusive company, which will include upcoming Century Woodwinds.

But Soundpaint - as you will see - is something entirely different.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

It sounds really good to me.  I would not mistake it for someone playing a real guitar, but the range of sounds he is getting from SoundPaint with a MIDI keyboard is very impressive.  I don't have experience with an SG, but I do have an original 68' LP Custom.  Love that tone.  I was lucky enough to get the  link for SoundPaint from the site (by email) and have been messing with the Steinway.  I will most certainly be forking over the $20 to get the SG samples 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abacab said:

For those focusing on realism, pay close attention, and perhaps stick with Kontakt ... :)

And see the comments below from Troels about SoundPaint Technology (posted at VI-CONTROL).

He has previously made several remarks that his goal was to introduce an entirely new type of instrument from the ground up. My take is that it's not just a new sample engine or physical modeling. More like a new flavor of sample based synthesis.

Yeah I don't care that I don't think it sounds like an authentic guitar.   It sounds very usable, just a commenting based on a post or two suggesting it sounds like a convincing guitar.  And figured it was worth a note as someone that has played an SG for around 25 years, not sure I agree, and not from the stand point of being nit picky.  

The sounds it is making do sound excellent.  Curious the DL size 

Based on this synthesis idea, I certainly wasn't expecting the piano to be over 6gigs.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

It seems like Soundpaint is one more addition to the computer music landscape, so bully for Troels and 8dio.  

The engine is free. Obviously a tremendous amount of care went into its design. The instruments are reasonably priced.  Reports from beta testers about quality are excellent.

We will find out if people enjoy making music and sound design with these new tools and that's the only thing that matters.  

That said, I don't really understand why he put a picture of the SG in the video.  Why not just call it a 70s Soulful Guitar and leave it at that?  Because when people see an SG they want it to sound like an SG, and that means the way it sounds played through amps.   And then you can have a switch where you can take off the effects.

Personally, I am withholding all judgment until Wrenchenspiel for SoundPaint comes out.

• Like 1