PREDD by Analog Obsession - FREE

FranciscoJ

Whats going on with these Analog Obsession plugins? I've heard something about them, that they are containing malware in the installer. Is that true? On the other side the snake oil guy on youtube reviewed some plugins from AO and was amazed about them. Are these things trustworthy?

15 minutes ago, SVSX said:

Whats going on with these Analog Obsession plugins? I've heard something about them, that they are containing malware in the installer. Is that true? On the other side the snake oil guy on youtube reviewed some plugins from AO and was amazed about them. Are these things trustworthy?

There were some issues a couple of years ago with some download files from his old site. But after he switched to Patreon, I think all has been clear.  I always scan and re-scan downloads from him, but haven't seen anything for awhile.  I also don't actively use his plugins - I keep meaning to because they get good feedback, but... the infected download thing is some hard baggage to get rid of.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mibby said:

There were some issues a couple of years ago with some download files from his old site. But after he switched to Patreon, I think all has been clear.  I always scan and re-scan downloads from him, but haven't seen anything for awhile.  I also don't actively use his plugins - I keep meaning to because they get good feedback, but... the infected download thing is some hard baggage to get rid of.

Plus the bugs that were rather common a few years ago.  My impression has been that has been sorted out and he is making some good stuff now.  

That said, with the other options I have and the non-resizing interfaces they don't get much use on my end either.  

If I didn't have a collection of plugins with reasonable authorization systems/amounts then I'd certainly be all over the AO freebies.

I am confused. How can someone that offers plugins for free can get his hands on so many vintage equipment to emulate. If you are emulating this old Abbey Road preamp, how do you get your hands on one to analyse? Strange. There is obviously something I don't understand...

The only thing missing from his plugins, is a good set of presets to get you started. Not everyone is familiar with these vintage equipment.

8 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

I am confused. How can someone that offers plugins for free can get his hands on so many vintage equipment to emulate. If you are emulating this old Abbey Road preamp, how do you get your hands on one to analyse? Strange. There is obviously something I don't understand...

The only thing missing from his plugins, is a good set of presets to get you started. Not everyone is familiar with these vintage equipment.

Many emulations (or approximations) are built on principals surrounding replicationg circuit diagrams and what a circuit is doing.  Not much different than someone making a "clone" of a guitar amp by following a schematic and using parts within a certain tollerance.  It will sound similar but not 100% identical as it needs adjustment based on how the parts work together and component variations.  

You are correct that a little one-man shop like this isn't actually going to be doing A/B testing with the real thing but it isn't unrealistic to expect there are some documentation and diagrams to get the general idea of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2