Some VSTs Don't Sound Right

Guest Retronaut

Guest Retronaut

I'm attempting to use the NES VST, as well as the sforzando VST (to play the St. James Orchestral Soundfonts).

However, the NES VST sounds quite off in Cakewalk, and sforzando (when playing the St. James SF) emits an annoying hum.

These work perfectly in LMMS, and if there's no way to fix the VSTs in Cakewalk, I can always combine exported audio from both LMMS and Cakewalk to create my song.

Link to St. James Soundfont: https://www.flstudiomusic.com/2010/04/saint-james-orchestral-soundfonts.html

Which driver mode and buffer size are you using? Driver mode and sample size can also be playing into this. If using Windows audio/Direct Sound/MME, low buffer sizes can insert hums, a little higher will insert pops/clicks, and higher (256+) are where VSTis begin to playback correctly. Some need up to 8K depending on the VSTi and driver mode used.

Guest Retronaut
1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Maybe the instruments and/or samples don't match the sample rate you have in Cakewalk?

51 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Which driver mode and buffer size are you using? Driver mode and sample size can also be playing into this. If using Windows audio/Direct Sound/MME, low buffer sizes can insert hums, a little higher will insert pops/clicks, and higher (256+) are where VSTis begin to playback correctly. Some need up to 8K depending on the VSTi and driver mode used.

So, using ASIO audio drivers fixed the issue with sforzando, but the NES VST still sounds off.

Guest Retronaut
1 hour ago, Robert Bone said:

What is the sample rate in the project, and with the samples? (had been asked above)

Bob Bone

How do I view the sample rate of the VST? My project's sample rate is 44100.

EDIT: Using SF2 loaders (like sforzando and TX16Wx) in Cakewalk does seem to lead to results that are inaccurate to the original soundfont. And my issue with the St. James SF causing humming is back. If no one has any solutions, I'll just use placeholder instruments when composing in Cakewalk, mute them during rendering, export the MIDI tracks where the placeholder instruments were, import the MIDIs into LMMS, then use the SF2s in LMMS to play the MIDIs.

Edited by Retronaut