Up to 70% Off BFD Expansions

cclarry

22 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I need someone to chime in with their experience!!!

18 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

the download and authorization were all a bit of a mess unfortunately (understatement perhaps!!)

The main issue for me. You can explore a trail of user frustration here...

https://forum.bfddrums.com/t/preempt-reauthorization-so-as-to-avoid-c-f-s/1162

Of course completely depends on what you're looking for. The strength of BFD has been quality acoustic samples/features capable of hanging with real drums in a recording. Been using BFD since v1.5, originally for their cymbals and since then made great use of kits with multiple ambient/alternate mic options and features like proper swells/dynamics. It is deep and takes more than a bit of effort to sort out, but once you get it working, is hard to beat. They also had 3rd party partners which nicely extended the available options.

Given the current state of BFD with InMusic, a group of us have started to explore SD3. The key factor (for us) is the ability to craft unique sounds vs presets/grooves. Most of the standard options (at the time) were found to be over-processed/canned and limited wrt to dynamics/range/variety of sounds (geez, how many versions of the Bonham kit are there?). SD3 seems to be a major step up up from SD2 (their HH articulations could be a nice improvement) and they list four kits which note raw samples.  However a switch would entail a non-trivial four figure investment with fewer options.

Some of the original key players from FXpansion are on board and a v4.0 has been mentioned but InMusic has yet to prove they can add value. Wishing them all the best, but there is plenty that could be improved and the jury is still out.

just my experience...

Edited by jackson white
  • Like 1

Okay, you guys successfully talked me down. I have other plugins from InMusic that have caused massive problems and taken around a year before they addressed known software problems. The company is a disaster when it comes to software. I mostly use AD2 and, once in a while, SD2 and KONTAKT (which I do not love for drums). You'd think NI would be wise to make a really good drum plugin like AD2 or SD3 by now. But yeah, my experience with plugins for InMusic is that they buy up old plugins and completely neglect them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

You'd think NI PA would be wise to make a really good drum plugin

My suggestion for the Plugin Alliance survey...

fwiw, still using BFD3 here but can't in good conscience recommend it until they sort out the current issues.

Edited by jackson white
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jackson white said:

Some of the original key players from FXpansion are on board and a v4.0 has been mentioned but InMusic has yet to prove they can add value. Wishing them all the best, but there is plenty that could be improved and the jury is still out.

Yep. Exactly. 

Well said.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1